Is Gentoo a meme Jow Forums?

Is Gentoo a meme Jow Forums?

Attached: gentoo.png (400x400, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-827407-start-0.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Custom_repository
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/CustomTree#Defining_a_custom_repository
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

no

Nothing will be a meme as long as *rch exists.

Attached: archfags btfo.png (1169x3679, 513K)

Install Gentoo

Attached: 1539834083568.png (540x474, 425K)

No, it's actually unironically good.

It's good.

Attached: 2018-12-25-003637_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.02M)

"Install Gentoo" is a meme but Gentoo itself is a pretty good operating system.

Would be better if Portage did real sources without patches to make it work more like LFS with manual update scripts

no user. it clearly works.

Attached: gentoooooo.png (836x391, 103K)

Neofetch faggot

Portage uses your own patches if you copy them to the correct location

Yes and no...
>Do you have a powerful PC which allows you to compile things quickly?
>Are you autistic about customisation and optimisation?
>Do you know and/or care enough about the nuts and bolts of Loonix for comically granular options to be relevant to you?
Gentoo may be for you.
Otherwise it's an absolute meme, prepare to spend hours setting up a config and literal days for certain things to compile.

Attached: 1543636915677.png (573x665, 451K)

>spend hours setting up a config
Like what? If you are ricing you'll do that on any distro.
>literal days for certain things to compile.
Stop using bloated sotware then, you don't need to compile software like firefox/libreoffice and you can use cloveros repos for most programs anyway.

Dear NSA,
You're not going to stop us from using gentoo.
Sincerely,
Jow Forums

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as meme, is in fact, a good distro, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Glorious Gentoo. Gentoo is not a meme unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning Install Gentoo meme, created by the Jow Forums shitposters, applel shills and people who are unable to use Gentoo comprising a full meme as defined by everyone.

There really is a Gentoo, but these people aren't using it, it is just a part of the meme they use. Gentoo is the glory: the distro that compiles everything from source and allows for unlimited options. On Jow Forums, Gentoo is normally used in combination with the Install Gentoo meme: the whole meme is basically Gentoo with the word "Install" added, or Install Gentoo. All the so-called "Gentoo" memes are really memes of "Install Gentoo".

>no
checked
/thread

Gentoo is not a "meme distro".
It's the best and most precious distro you can use.
Once you get used to it, you'll realize using any other distro would be a downgrade.
It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
You can install any version of any package in the repo and portage will rebuild what needs rebuilding and update/downgrade what needs updating/downgrading and keep your system consistent.
No such thing as "dependency hells".
You can even have multiple versions of some packages side by side.
Top tier documentation and support.
Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
Ebuilds (package build scripts) easy to read, edit, write and maintain.
Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
Most importantly, it just works, it does what you want and doesn't get in the way.

Attached: co_strawberry_milk_girl.gif (540x528, 1.71M)

Based moeposter.

based

dumb awooposter

Oh good, a thread where all the gentoofags are all in one place.
How do I edit an ebuild to update a package to a version not available in the ports tree? I peeked inside and didn't see any version information like I'd expect in, say, a Slackbuild or a PKGBUILD file. Is it really as simple as editing the manifest file to have to new verion and new size/checksums? I'm new to this and used to Slackware so I don't get it.

Attached: 1545366323943.jpg (1920x1080, 213K)

I think it's thrown around here for meme's, but in all honesty there is no better system out there for building a Linux system that meets fine-grained specifications.

>arch devs: All the fascism of windows without the convenience

>crappy C2D thinkpad
>grrrr bloat!

yes, as is debian

How to use runit as an init system?

/gentoo general/ when?

Just rename the ebuild to reflect the new package version and run ebuild digest against it, assuming it's already in your local overlay

I was just gonna change the file in /usr/portage/path/to/package.ebuild. I can go ahead and try that since it'll probably work, but will there be any side effects if I don't use a local overlay? I honestly didn't think about making one.

Attached: 1545149139776.jpg (565x586, 58K)

Yeah. Gentoo is a waste of time for 0% performance improvement.

your edit gets wiped next time you --sync. just make a local overlay, it's simple and comes handy if you want to use out of tree ebuilds (and not use layman) or like you just did customize your own

Well, I followed
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-827407-start-0.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Custom_repository
and wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/CustomTree#Defining_a_custom_repository
I think I did something wrong because now every time I run portage it bitches, but I did successfully get the new version of the package installed after specifying its version. Wish I understood this shit better because it's not coming as naturally to me as managing slackware did. I guess mission accomplished though, so thanks.

Attached: 1545560281845.jpg (728x1000, 183K)

Bitching how? If you're getting something about masters = gentoo missing, just create this file:

/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf
masters = gentoo

Of course your layout.conf file will be located wherever you put your local repository. Mine is just in /usr/local/portage

WARNING: One or more repositories have been ignored due to duplicate
profiles/repo_name entries:

/, dumpster_fire, /usr/local/portage/overlay overrides
/usr/local/portage

All profiles/repo_name entries must be unique in order to avoid having
duplicates ignored. Set PORTAGE_REPO_DUPLICATE_WARN="0" in
/etc/portage/make.conf if you would like to disable this warning.

I made the file containing masters = gentoo, so I know it's not that.

your mistake was following that forum post :^)
all that was needed was that last wiki link you posted but now it seems you have nested two local repositories within each other under the same name (?)

I see what I did wrong. I copied blindly from the wiki link instead of using the (actual) full path, so instead of it looking in /usr/local/portage/overlay, it was looking in /usr/local/portage. Shame on me, the forum link was the first one when I searched. Thanks again for the help.

Attached: 1545603229214.jpg (832x1000, 64K)

Tell me you're fucking baiting. Please.

Is it possible to run a mixed musl and glibc system or would I need to go all in on musl to make it work?

nobody uses gentoo for "performance" you dumb fuck

Yeah, it's trash. People only shill it because it makes them feel special that they were able to install it.

Mixed should work if you make the right package.env configs, I think. But I never tried this one, I'm only doing libc++.

If you are willing to learn a lot about Linux userspace and to endure long software compile times depending on your selection, it can be a nice learning experince that results in a fast system. Other than that just use Arch.

Well said, with one little exception regarding dependencies.
Circular dependencies can be a bitch, like what I just went through with a bunch of media plugins and VLC/ffmpeg/etcetera...
Most of the time they're easily resolved, but sometimes it can turn into an hours-long ordeal.
Still, Gentoo effectively stopped my distro hopping streak, and I can't see myself ever switching again.

Attached: 1540130009577.jpg (395x398, 15K)

You're welcome user. Anything I can do to help the campaign to convince people that Gentoo isn't just a meme

Install gentoo.

>If you are willing to learn a lot about Linux userspace
you literally don't have to know shit about linux userspace to use gentoo
>endure long software compile times depending on your selection
it can be a nice learning experince
as much as any other distro
>that results in a fast system
ricing cflags gives you no noticeable speed boost whatsoever and it's not what gentoo is about
>Other than that just use Arch
if you can install arch, you can install gentoo
why would you cripple yourself with an inferior system?

It's decent if you have a fast CPU or a lot of time on your hands.
Otherwise compiling your own shit gets boring very quickly.

you're irrefutably retarded if compile times get in your way

>It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
So does Arch.
>You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
Also same as Arch.
>You can install any version of any package in the repo and portage will rebuild what needs rebuilding and update/downgrade what needs updating/downgrading and keep your system consistent.
Why would you need outdated stuff?
>No such thing as "dependency hells".
Has never happened on my Arch machine either.
>You can even have multiple versions of some packages side by side.
Again, why would you want outdated stuff?
>Top tier documentation and support.
Arch's is better.
>Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
Arch's is larger.
>Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
Not as good as AUR.
>Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
Except Arch and most other distros do give you those things.

yes, but it's also very good
use flags are good, it's pretty stable, and the .provides or whatever it's called is pretty good for providing your own versions of dependencies like texlive
people who will tell you that it's stupid to use things like firefox or libreoffice are missing the point, and furthermore gentoo provides a binary package of firefox.
the profile system that allows you to do things like install multiple versions of emacs side by side are also a lot more useful than you would think.

i agree with everything you've said, except your discounting compile times. given that i can get a ready to work setup on a binary distro in maybe an hour, having to compile kernel + userspace, tacking on an extra 3+ hours for my setup is a pain, and it means that if i break my system, a good chunk of my free time in a day is going to need to be spent fixing if a reinstall is needed (and until you really know your shit, there are plenty of problems you can have even on gentoo that are fixed easiest with a reinstall)

AUR is bigger, but it's not better. the AUR is a massive, buggy, fucked up overlay, and it's closer to a downside as far as i'm concerned. i should not have to sudo -u nobody and manually set up a build environment just to install a package that should probably be in the repos in the first place.

We get it you run arch, congratulations go give yourself a gold star while the adults talk.

>nobody uses
And you are "all" people. Stupid fuck!

>>It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
>So does Arch.
Arch is entirely on the bleeding edge, it's as far from stable as you can get.
On Gentoo, packages sit in testing for quite a while before they get into stable and they only get into stable if they're proven to be solid after the testing period.
That's not what makes it a stable distro suitable for server use though.
It's the fact that the stable branch contains multiple maintained package versions and you're free to use any of them.
You can keep using an old package version until you find a suitable time for upgrading said package, while keeping the rest of your system relatively up to date.
Arch pretty much locks you into a single repository snapshot and updating your system while trying to keep using an old package version may break the package.
You're forced to either be on the bleeding edge or not update your system entirely, leaving you susceptible to security vulnerabilities.
>>You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
>Also same as Arch.
Nope. On binary distros you're stuck with a single repo at a time and you risk dependency hells if you try to mix them.
On Gentoo on the other hand, mixing branches is supported.
You can have a stable system and install bleeding edge packages from the testing branch and portage will keep your system consistent.
>>You can install any version of any package in the repo
>Why would you need outdated stuff?
Sometimes it may not be convenient to update something immediately for whatever reason and you may need to keep the old version for a while.
It could happen that a program you're using depends on an old library or something to that effect.
Maybe you need an older compiler version to compile something.
You're using GTK+2 and python2, they're technically outdated.
So it's things along those lines.
>>No such thing as "dependency hells".
>Has never happened on my Arch machine either.
Try mixing repos.

>>You can even have multiple versions of some packages side by side.
>Again, why would you want outdated stuff?
Since I already answered this, I'll pretend you replied to that point with
>Why would you need multiple versions of packages side by side?
You may need different compiler versions for different things for example, and being able to have two compilers installed at the same time is nice.
Maybe you're using two programs which depend on different versions of a library, therefore it's great to be able to have different versions of said library installed.
>>Top tier documentation and support.
>Arch's is better.
Nothing on the Arch Wiki compares to the quality of the official Gentoo documentation.
Both the Arch and Gentoo support are good though.
>>Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
>Arch's is larger.
Yeah and Ubuntu's is even larger.
Your point?
>>Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
>Not as good as AUR
The AUR is mostly shit tbqh.
Pretty much this Some of the stuff that's popular in there are literally just official packages with different compile time settings, something you can easily achieve on Gentoo with USE flags.
A number of things I had to install from the AUR on Arch is in the official repo on Gentoo.
The AUR is necessary to compensate for some of the shittyness of Arch.
I can guarantee you wouldn't miss it on Gentoo.

>>Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
>Except Arch and most other distros do give you those things.
Try using Arch without systemd and dbus. That's your so called "freedom of choice".
Try making Arch as stable as Debian or installing a package version different from the current one in the repo you're using. That's your "flexibility".
Try globally removing features you don't use from your packages. That's your "customizability".
Try blocking all non-free licensed software in a single line in a config file. That's your "power".
Gentoo can do all of that and more.
It simply offers you more degrees of freedom than Arch.
It can be as stable as Debian or as bleeding edge as Arch, or a mix of both.
It gives you more control over your system and it's more flexible in every possible way.
Arch makes your choices for you, while Gentoo leaves them up to you.

>you literally don't have to know shit about linux userspace to use gentoo
to use not that much, but you need to actually know what is needed and what you want (or at least pick something) during the install to make a usable system
>the compile times meme
emerge -pe @world | genlop -tp
Estimated update time: 11 hours, 55 minutes.
>ricing cflags gives you no noticeable speed boost whatsoever and it's not what gentoo is about
speak for yourself, pgo<o is hell of a drug

I just want to say i'm new to gentoo and sometimes a bit lost but that being said I really love it. The compile times aren't that bad for most packages.

It's important to note here that all that freedom, customizability and flexibility doesn't come at the cost of ease of use.
What Gentoo does is it provides you with the advantages of compiling packages from source while making it easy and convenient on your side.
That's pretty much the point of Gentoo.
It's no harder to use than any other distro, yet it offers much more.
That's what makes it so great.