Systemd rust rewrite when?

Attached: systemdrust.png (629x418, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tokio-rs/tokio
distrowatch.com/search.php?defaultinit=Not systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

never, not until all the C boomers die

Windows saboteur confirmed

They should do it, to prove to everyone how rust doesn't solve any of the real issues they're facing.
Fucking retards.

Once the dust clears from the collapse of such a thing, they'll still somehow manage to blame it on C.

Leftists are incapable of self reflection. It's never their fault.

Chad torvalds
Chinlet Incel Lennart

haskell systemD when? modern, simple, secure, and easily multithreaded

Linus is hardly a chad any-more.

Never.
It is a soft acknowledgement that PID 1 is compromised and the kernel is not far behind.

I think this is the part were I get the popcorn and beers in...
Let's watch these fucking imbeciles crash and burn lads.

What does SystemD even do? Isn't it just something that starts and allows you to manage daemons?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've only been using linux for a couple of months.

Its so big that Ubuntu dropped their project to not be excluded out pf future exclusive systemd/linux features.

>What does SystemD even do
allows you to reboot from the terminal without sudo

systemd is an OS that allows you to start a more lightweight OS.

>systemd rust rewrite when?
asap if possible given how shit they are.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, SystemD/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, SystemD plus GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning SystemD system made useful by the SystemD vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the SystemD system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of SystemD
which is widely used today is often called "GNU/Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the SystemD system, developed by Lennart Poettering.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the SystemD operating system: the whole system
is basically SystemD with GNU with Linux added, or SystemD/GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of SystemD.

Yup. That is pretty much all they would accomplish. You can right shit code in any language. Poettering is definitely not an exception.

How the fuck can people take a cpp replacement seriously that is missing the following features:

- Polymorphisim
- Smartpointers by defalut (no not GC you fucking spergs)
- Decent standrard library
- Networking, Containers, FileIO uniform system
- A debugger that isn't shit

Rust missed the chance of giving you the option of setting and configuring your own allocator. It would have helped embedded development.
As is the entire standard library is useless

This is dumb. However, it does make me wonder if a project for a new init system was started, what language should it use? I'd probably say C. I'm not really sure about using C++; I haven't used it much. It seems like you wouldn't even be able to use much of its features for an init system anyway. I'm not sure about Rust either.

It seems to me like it is more important to have better development practices like proper unit testing or documentation, than picking up some hot new language.

BASED Pötti.
How can one man be so right about everything?

You are talking about Pottering. His software only works when other people take over and fix it.
Language won't matter much for him.

C++ has nothing of these besides polymorphisim, and it sucks hard, as it is early binding by default.

>writing critical software in experimental non standardized fag enabled language with shitty toolset

>Isn't it just something that starts and allows you to manage daemons?
That's what it was supposed to be, but because of the horrendous scope creep, it now handles dbus, syslog, acpi, login, mount, cgroups, cron, and a whole bunch of other things. See the gif. It's very anti-Unix Philosophy, and is developed with a lot of "NOTABUG, WONTFIX", so expect plenty of bugs. We've already seen a few recently, and I'm sure there will be many more.

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

>polymorphism
you can do interface inheritance and interface objects. there aren't `extends`-style superclasses but you shouldn't be doing that in the first place, not even in OOP heavy languages like Java.
>smart pointers
Box, Rc/Arc, RefCell, etc
>decent STL
it does have a decent but non-bloated standard library (especially on the nightly branch) and it's still getting new features often.
>networking, containers, fileio
std::net
std::collections
std::fs / std::path
>a debugger that isn't shit
are gdb and lldb shit debuggers?

Are you talking about Rust, user?

shared_ptr is way worse than Gc

this. plus you don't really need them with lifetimes/ownership

C++ has the caviat of being devloped by cavemen

C is just fine when you don't let idiots work on your code.

I thought it was a Danish person.

same difference

Why did so many distros adopt this shitheap?

>makes garbage
>blames the tools
We've had working init systems written in C for nearly half a century and somehow Systemd is the one with exhibiting these constant problems.
Really makes you think.

>rewrite everything in a nu-male language
>reee why is everything so slow
if you are incapable of developing safe applications in c you should not be a software developer
if you still manage to write unsafe code in c your project is likely too large and tries to do too many things

literally the woman using a hammer trying to hit the nail but dents the wall and blames the hammer gif

See

KEK

Who is he referring to with 'we'? Because chances are that 'they' will never write anything remotely as complicated as an OS.

What systemd should've been:
- A parallel init system, faster than initd
- Made by competent, sane developers that address bugs and fix them
What it shouldn't:
- Buggy scope creeping mess created by incompetent manchildren who have their egos so far up their asses that everyone else Is Wrong (tm) and the settings that I like should be the default and only option for everyone else.

Obsessed

if systemd is so shit why hasn't anyone replaced it. if its just a deamon manager and some other components, it seems just isolated enough that it shouldn't be a problem right?

Attached: .png (800x800, 142K)

>isolated enough
hahahah thats what it should be but its actually the entire opposite. Nonetheless, some distros like devuan have removed it.

>deamon manager
Systemd does way more than just that, and keeps getting new functions and features at every release.

>a literal who has removed it
hmm doesn't sound too optimistic. so i guess systemd is the next x11.

You said just two things in your post and they were both retarded, congrats.

ye, next they will detach drivers from kernel and pass that function to systemd gona be hilarious if it happens.

Does Rust have decent Async stuff? Let's say I want to listen() on 100 sockets and when any is ready, I read() their contents, can I do that?

Lazyness I suppose ?

tt..thanks

>right

Huh? Yes it does.

/thread

make em do it and prove how stupid they are.

Why don't they write them in Javascript?

>claims the other side is incapable of self reflection
>isn't aware of their own cognitive dissonance

Incels, who are typically right wingers, are incapable of self reflection. It's never their fault.

It does but it's not as good as it will be. Right now the most anticipated feature by far are Futures, which are supposed to be zero-cost asynchronous programming additions. If you've ever used a `Promise` in ES6 it's as simple as that, without the overhead. Until then, most people use tokio for complex asynchronous tasks github.com/tokio-rs/tokio

C is an outdated language but Rust isn't the answer.

MX Linux, 3rd most popular distro this year, doesn't use Systemd.

I hate systemd but stop capitalizing that motherfucking D

Attached: 1540692536622.png (760x839, 760K)

int journal_file_append_entry(JournalFile *f, const dual_timestamp *ts, const struct iovec iovec[], unsigned n_iovec, uint64_t *seqnum, Object **ret, uint64_t *offset) {
items = alloca(sizeof(EntryItem) * MAX(1u, n_iovec));

-------------
Look at this crap. Look at it.
Stack allocation based on a function argument.
People know you shouldn't do this sort of stuff for over 20 years now.
It's repeated everywhere how stupid and dangerous this stuff is.
Yet the systemd guys did it.
Why?
Yes, the language allows you to shot yourself in the foot. But ignoring tried and true approaches for quick hacks is their fault.

user can't handle the D

the hair shadows look vectorized but those face shadows... how they do them? some Asian draws them one by one or is it a texture?

For digital ones, it's probably a brush, really dunno though

one of bannerlord's engine developers keeps liking tweets shitting on C and C++
i know nothing about programming, should we be worried about the bannerlord?

C *is* shit for safety-critical applications, he is right on that one.

Holy shit kernel and systemd in Rust would be awesome

How the fuck did the right wing become associated with C? You know what... fuck it. I'm not even going to question it. There must be some reason C, Hitler, and Melee go together.

Depends on the artist. The guy who does Vagabound draws every hair with a pencil, but there are "stickers" you can buy. Some draw with pen or go digital. Some are somewhere in between.
Dunno how that particular one draws

>Leftists
what??? I thought this was about programming languages

This.
Does the fag actually explain what his issue is with c anyway?

Nigga, cpp is not even remotely in the picture. Because it's such an unbearable shit.

Sopa de macaca is angery.

Right, assembly is better.

>assembly "programming"
Kids those days. Back in the good old times we rebuild parts of the machine to run a specific problems. You kids and your memories and Von Newmann bullshit

>Von Newmann

>rewrites in Rust
>still shit
>blames Rust
>Rust doens't have C userbase, so it dies because of the bad PR

Its shit only if you are retarded basedcuck lefty

>get told to fix their life
>NO U MINE IS FINE, BUT YOU ARE THE REASON I AM MISERABLE
>IF YOU ARE NOT IN GULAG YOU ARE LEFT HATING RIGHT WINGER

Fuck off welfare leech.

not the guy you replied to but please kindly fuck off back to Jow Forums. programming languages aren't associated with any political view, or sexuality, or country of origin, or whatever the fuck you'll manage to pin it on.

...and slow as fuck

systemd in Rust would never work out. You'd be waiting 2 weeks for CI builds to finish.

Hopefully Rust manages to frustrate Lennart into suicide

Futures are already in and heavily used, e.g. in actix
What everyone is waiting on is async/await to make coding with futures is easier.

The CIA killed everyone who said no. See: Ian Murdok's """suicide."""

yes, the alpha is out, that doesn't equate to 'is in stable branch"

not the same guy too
but, well yes, exactly, left or right fuck off. I want to be free and program is it that hard?

This

Attached: 8fe.jpg (500x433, 39K)

If I ever see this person 1 mile away from my vicinity, I swear I will stab him with every force in my body until I kill him.

Attached: cage.gif (400x400, 1.4M)

Attached: checked.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

who wouldn't?
where does he live btw? asking for a friend

Attached: linusandc.png (750x862, 93K)

It is one of the standard Jow Forums tactics to incessantly try to associate a semi-popular thing with their crap, hoping to make it unpopular among other people and - by isolation - recruit people who are attached to said thing. One of the obvious examples of that approach would be what they did with Pepe.
Maybe they now decided that C programmers over here might be a vulnerable target.

C is second to no one when you have competent people writing it because it has 30 years of compiler history and complete standard libraries.

People wanting to rewrite low level shit in rust should first try and get a compiler smart enough to not shit out underperforming assembly.

Do the issues with C need explaining? Don't all the vulnerabilities caused by buffer overflows, double frees and use-after-free explain enough? Literally every piece of software is or was affected by low-level bugs, not just systemd. The Linux kernel, OpenSSL, Bash, libraries for literally anything. The argument of "C is just fine when you don't let idiots work with your code" is completely unaware of the current situation and of the history of *major* software vulnerabilities. Something has to change and sitting and calling everyone that makes software (that you yourself use) stupid because they left a bug somewhere won't change anything.

not systemd
distrowatch.com/search.php?defaultinit=Not systemd

You never needed systemd for that

THIS

Attached: 1519846357283.gif (200x153, 452K)