What is Jow Forums's experience with libre/OpenOffice...

What is Jow Forums's experience with libre/OpenOffice? I've been hesitant to switch from MS Word because just werkz and I can't afford to not have a functional word processor. I would like to switch over now that I have a chance.

Attached: 1547053985832.png (1400x586, 692K)

LibreOffice works pretty good, had some small issues before, like tables, images, etc not exactly in the same place or formated the same as in word, but nothing that made me unable to read or open the documents.
With the PowerPoint replacement it can become a little more annoying, although most of it opens fine.
The excel replacement, I can't really comment on because I rarely use it, what I can say is that I heard it still needs some catching up to do with the office equivalent.

Overall it's pretty good, actively being developed and opens most office files without or slight problems. Give it a go. If you still have office you can compare it side by side.

It just werks. Only the core tasks work well enough, though. Forget about documentation and tool support for automation.

Ok thank you anons

If you're going to make the effort to switch, switch to something worthwhile.

Attached: LaTeX_cover.svg.png (400x320, 33K)

I haven't touched any MS office software in years. Libreoffice is pretty good. I have been working with the database app. With the internal db it works reasonably well, making it work with postgres is not seamless.

If I was starting from scratch now, there is not a chance in hell I'd waste my time on office.

yeah, like groff

How does Latex actually help, versus LibreOffice?
OpenOffice is well dead, just go with LibreOffice if you are going to that direction; most of the staff that was with the former switched to the latter.

LaTeX is a replacement for Word/Writer. It lets you compose your content in plain text and then render later. It makes your shit look far more professional than the typical Word/Writer output. In fact Microsoft knows Word is shit for layout and actual document design, which is why they made Publisher. Publisher is still shit since it's WYSIWYG which means editing your content without fucking the document layout is way harder than it needs to be.

Attached: wp_001.png (640x400, 863)

Interesting, user. Actually, I have one .odt. file (about 6,000 words with many footnotes) that is fucked in formatting and would take me unnecessary amounts of time to fix each footnote line. Would LaTex help me with that?

Absolutely. Expect to spend 4-8 hours to initially learn LaTeX, but it will pay you back many times over in avoiding the frustrating bullshit of Word/Writer. Writing LaTeX is like writing HTML except simpler, and of course the output is much better than HTML.

Yes. Footnotes, sections, references, table of contents, bibliography is all automatic with LaTeX. You won't look back.

Attached: LaTeX.jpg (1535x836, 49K)

Thanks, senpais. Do all I need to do is install LaTex as a program?

Yep, and you'll probably also want a plug-in for your text editor to provide build commands, or you could download an editor specifically made for latex like TeXmaker

About a year ago I downloaded TeXworksbut never got around with using it. Is that all I need?

Most TeX editors install a distribution alongside so yes it should just werk

I'm 69393437 and I use TeXMaker. It might not be the very best, but it has some pretty good tutorial material on Google if you get stuck.

Yeah I started out using it but now just use sublime for everything. Better keyboard shortcuts and I find multiple selection and macros incredibly useful

I have switched to linux and looking for a office replacement.
Don't know about word but libre powerpoint fucking sucks.

So far best I've found is google. Now I hate google with an unfounded passion but their shit is good so I'm forced to use it. Plus everything is online so you don't need to backup.

Thanks for everything, senpais! I created a PDF document via 's instructions.

I'll try giving TexMaker a shot.

Regardless of the question, the answer is always LaTeX

No worries. As with anything you will have to Google around a bit when you're getting started, but the long-term efficiency gains are worth it, especially when you're dealing with big documents.

Attached: LaTeX2.jpg (1285x877, 68K)

Here's a tip for you user. \noindent

If you ever can't figure out why your tables look wrong...