What happens if I make grub the default boot loader, then delete Ubuntu

Attached: file.png (640x480, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/neosmart.net/wiki/mbr-boot-process/amp/
neosmart.net/wiki/mbr-boot-process/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing, grub is directly installed on the BIOS/UEFI

This guy is retarded.
grub is generally installed on the MBR of your main HDD/SSD, with additional files being loaded from "/boot/grub"

You know, I never really understood how MBR bootloaders work. Sure, I understand that the bios checks the MBR and executes code from it, but it obviously isn't enough to load an entire OS or even a boot menu like that.
But it's also not enough to make a driver for an ext4 partition in order to load files from it.
So how does grub load its second stage bootloader? First I thought it could just memorize the exact sector and then use bios IO to read it into memory, but that would break as soon as someone defragmented the drive.

afaik what is written to the MBR by grub is little more than a pointer to the actual bootloader on the disk. The bootloader only loads the kernel (Linux/NT) and the kernel initializes the rest of the components of the OS.
The MBR itself can't be defragmented, and any defragmentation program will update file pointers while moving files.

Yes, but how does it load the second stage from the MBR? That would require writing an ext4 driver in the mbr, but there's not enough space for that.

it would be extremely painful

With the power of machines these days, why are bootloaders so fucking ugly? Never the native resolution of your display and they look fucking garbage.

because they're supposed to just boot and not do anything else, they're not here to be pretty
you can set a minimal bootloader time to hide it, or you can set it to 0

It doesnt you stupid twat
like the previous answer. Grub is merely a pointer to the bootloader. Think of it like a signpost pointing to a town
then the car driver can choose one way or another

use grub-customizer n00b

And where is that bootloader stored? How does the code in the mbr adress it realiably so it can jump to it?
That's the question.

it's working at a lower level than the filesystem. Your filesystem doesn't even come into play until the kernel is loaded

WHAT level?
That's precisely the part every article that attempts to describe the boot process just skips over.

see

magic numbers nigga

the same level of the partition table and MBR. Both the BIOS and bootloader essentially load raw data from a point on the disk into memory for the CPU to execute.

what I'm trying to say is that the bootloader loads data from the disk in the same way the BIOS does

Basically. Low level computing shit fucks with your head

These non-answers are precisely why we never have actual discussion about technology on Jow Forums.
>How does Grub load its second stage? Where is it stored? How does it know where it's stored despite having no filesystem access?
>Uhh, iunno, like, some low level stuff or something, there, that answers it.

>How does it know where it's stored despite having no filesystem access?
A filesystem isn't necessary for accessing data on a disk, which was already said.

Just don't touch the /boot partition and you will be fine.

Then press 'e' and delete the Ubuntu entries of your bootloader.

This. The disk has it's own microcontroller which can be told what to do at a basic level.
"read data from point XX to YY"
"write data from point XX to YY"

for you, maybe

And yet that doesn't answer the question. It's like answering
>How does machine learning work
with
>Uhh, the CPU executes instructions and that causes values to change.

It's nothing like that.
The filesystem is on a completely different level of operation. At this level it literally is just telling the disk to load some specific bits for the processor to execute. The microcontroller on the disk knows where the data is stored for a given address.

Pic related happens

Attached: grub missing.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

>Never the native resolution of your display
Because you didn't configure grub properly

meant for

The MBR is the first 512 bytes of the disk. It begins with a tiny bit of assembly explaining which physical location to jump to ie the first active partition. All MBR partitions in their first sector contain another small chunk of code that again points to a physical location (this time I think it is an offset from the start of the partition). This chunk of code this points to can actually be as large as is necessary, but it's still raw assembly - 1's and 0's on the disk outside of the filesystem of the partition.

But since this sector can be as large as needed it has enough space to implement the driver for your filesystem eg ext4 and find, load and run the boot up code for your os.

google.com/amp/s/neosmart.net/wiki/mbr-boot-process/amp/

non-amp link neosmart.net/wiki/mbr-boot-process/