Any career-having boomers here work with databases...

any career-having boomers here work with databases? I'm taking an intro dbms course as a part of my cs degree (basically just SQL) and I'm thinking I could maybe try to work in it eventually because I might be too brainlet for development... I mean like I can program just fine but I unironically understand my intelligence is lower than other peoples' in this program. Database admin seems more IT-like, sort of like sysadmin. I've heard before you don't even really need a degree for sysadmin. But maybe I could finish my degree and try to get into databases.

Basically I'm asking what kind of jobs are database jobs? Are they actually reserved for like really smart people or are they more IT/sysadmin tier?

Attached: 1547577924256.jpg (540x960, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=SQL tutorial
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We have a female that works with our SQL shit for our servers so yes brainlet shit. Go figure.

tl;dr
who is this semen demon

just read the last sentence
it's my gf

It's not easier than programming.

DBA can be hard when the query you have to produce is complex and also need to be fast. Not everything is simple SELECT * FROM... Like not everything in programming is simple WebDev. Keep going with your programming course and then see what you like best when you start your career.

Please help me

with what

is DBA an easy position. One of the people I tutor is looking to get a volunteer position at a place called eduplanner based here in st louis. Is it hard? her english is not great

also she has no database experience beyond what classes she plans to take this spring

Attached: party_parrot.gif (35x25, 4K)

Depends entirely on how complex the tasks that are required of the DB.

DB work can, just like programming get quite complex.

How can I learn db stuff

alright, thanks

Work with them and continually increase the extent to which you use them. Start off with simple SQL commands and build up from there.

Just pick some project that appeals to you and has some data storage component to it.

I really hate this kind of advice . I don't care about projects I can't think of a single one. I just want to learn it. Is there a book?

Go to bed drew

Learn what? The theory behind SQL? The language/syntax? For theory a book would be fine (I don't have any suggestions though) but for the syntax I'd recommend an online tutorial.

I'm terrified dude if I don't get a job I'll be on the street

speaking of SQL

table: players
|id | name | isMain | age

table: teams
|id | pilot_id | copilot_id|

how do I select each team with pilot and copilot?

I mean I think he has a point, you say "pick a project". What projects can a singular person even do involving databases? I mean I don't have access to a fucking office complex or whatever, I have no personal use case for learning databases except trying to learn an employable skill

You really are a brainlet

Imagine if you were that bottle of champagne

Imagine the smell

Imagine those sweaty thighs against your glass body

Good sql book?

Insane

It doesn't have to be useful. It honestly would likely best better to be simplistic and not too useful. Build a contact book where the user can view, create, update their contacts. There you go you can store the contacts for each user in the database. Doesn't have to be pretty, it aught to be entirely text based.

Start off small and build it up. You want to challenge yourself and learn the basics without making it too difficult.

tell raheesh she has to go back

Need more info. What do you mean pilot and copilot? Are players pilots or copilots?

Get a job with the skills you have. While employed use your free time to gain the skills your lacking.

I have no skills. I want to learn sql

If you're about to become homeless get a job that requires no skill.

To learn sql will take time, like any other skill you will need to practice it through using it.

OK man . Now how can I learn sql

this is b8

How ? I just want to learn sql.

Bump

Through practice, create a simple project using sql, then once you've completed the simple task increase the difficult. If you are having difficult with ideas one was suggested in this thread. Stop asking to be spoon fed.

>What projects can a singular person even do involving databases?
Quite a lot actually.

>I mean I don't have access to a fucking office complex or whatever
What would an office complex do to help you write SQL?

Your level of understanding on this topic is extremely low. Stop convincing yourself this is harder than it is by coming up with excuses that make no god damn sense. School really fucks kids up huh.
Just install MySQL on your computer and look up some basic tutorials, e.g. lmgtfy.com/?q=SQL tutorial

>office complex
What the fuck are you on about

who is this qt

Who knows but I'll BLACK.COM her for you

>Just install MySQL
You mean postgreSQL

At his level it makes no difference

Agreed

db work:

you're hired because the previous dba left or a programmer threw together some easy-mode database but now the team needs something "better"

reinstall the previously selected db products (oracle, db2, ms-sql, ...) "just to be sure"

negotiate your role - since db is a back-end thing you need other groups ( dev / networking / security ) to value your work

big challenge - database products are expensive and so complex that sales people don't even know when they're lying. e.g. your boss just bought a bunch of parts, an engine, transmission, suspension, and 4 wheels. Your boss gives you a manual and tell you the sales person said you'd have a working car in less than one day. you need to spend 10x as much money, take 20x as much time, and still convince everyone that you're doing a great job.

Are we being invaded by poos?

>BLACK.COM
.-.
/

this

the longest query i ever wrote was 150 lines long

if there were no office complexes or giant multi user platforms then databases wouldn't exist

Can you please help

SInce there are so many trash tier answers here, I‘ll help.

A good SQL book is „SQL anti patterns“. Read it, do the examples and you‘ll already outperform mosts website-tier db guys.

What job are there?
Knowing SQL is mandatory, then you could either go down the data scientist route (if you have some statistical skills) or data engineer (if youre into networking and low level stuff) or you stay with databases.

Data scientists need a lot of small tools like excel, programming in some statistical language like python or R and minor DB skills.

Data engineers need a good understanding of databases, general admin skills and networking skills. Just get a CCNA or CCENT and you‘ll know of this is for you.

Sometimes you habe a double role of sysadmind also being databases admins, especially in small shops. But this will require you to get a nice junior sysadmin position, so you should know core sysadmin skills (often youll need windows server, virtualization and so on).

Pure DB admin is an extremely well payed job, but it‘s hatd to get a junior position here. Most DB admins start as somerhing different and incidentally become „the DB guy“, i.e. in web design. As DB admin you should know SQL, but also NoSQL (i.e. Mongo, Kassandra,..). You will eventually learn industry tier databases like SQL Server and/or OracleDB. You need analyze query plans, optimize queries of noob coworkers, you need to be able to administrate user rights and know some basics about security (of the tdb youvare using). You nees to know WHEN to use which db. Database design, migrations and data types come to mind.
Last bur not least: you need to be 100% skilled with backups.

Working wirh DBs is lile building a house. If you mke a mistake at thw beginning it can bite back badly. And gid be with you if MGMT calls you in the middle of the night because someone fucked up somerhing, every data was lost and you didn‘t prepare with a couple of good backup strategies..

One last thing:
Vietualizatiom. Play with AWS or Azure or some other cloud service and learn how get data from local to the cloud and vice versa.

Bottom line is:
There is a lot to know until you are a full fledged DB admin. It takes time.

Bur don‘t be discouraged, if you like DBs just keep on doing. Even in WebDesign you can learn a lot of things.

Just make a website and create a fancy dashboard with apropriate security and backups, for example. Nobody builds a data warehouse at day one.

Godspeed, user.

>if there were no office complexes or giant multi user platforms then databases wouldn't exist
As far as you would know. DBs can run on a laptop. If you can't do it without an office there is likely something wrong with you.