What do you think of the Librem 5 phone?

What do you think of the Librem 5 phone?

Attached: csm_2018_09_04_16_35_08_Librem_5_-_A_Security_and_Privacy_Focused_Phone_-_Purism_6bac94a078.png (240x225, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xiaomifirmwareupdater.github.io/#stable
puri.sm/policies/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Too expensive, and sub 1080p in current year is a no go for me

Where's the notch.

this

A bunch of hypocritical gnome fanboys who only made a version with plasma mobile (Which was already a thing) to secure their funding but since they love IBM cock so much they decided to duplicate efforts.
For me? A good initiative but I think it will be a failed project (high price, duplicate efforts also as a bonus some meme politics tied to them)

Attached: 1544263288334.png (544x540, 390K)

you're paying $700 for 3gb ram and a CPU that barely beats a Nexus 7, and no 5g.
it's DOA

It'll be a huge flop. It can't compete in the slightest hardware wise and tries to run off the dreams of freetards. But freetards won't buy it because it stills has proprietary components + it's too expensive.

I guess most people don‘t realize that this phone is a niche product.
It aims to be a secure and privacy friendly phone for enthusiasts. Not performance enthusiasts, but privacy and open source enthusiasts.
Look at the Librem Notebooks. They‘re too expensive for their hardware, still people buy them, and the company exists.
They don‘t aim for „the big business“, they want to offer a product for people who care about their privacy and security. And I think that enough people will buy it as soon as it‘s out.

Librememe

It‘s literally impossible to build a phone without proprietary parts. But they isolate them from each other and make them physically detachable from the running phone, so you can trust it doesn‘t send or listen if you don‘t want it to.

>$700
>he didn't preorder
ISHYGDDT

>build a phone without proprietary parts
wrong, they're doing it.
why do you think they spent so much autism on finding the only CPU vendor that didn't have the baseband integrated into the CPU?

you can still preorder. it's Only™ $599.99

>gnome
>IBM
The redhat acquisition doesn't close until next year or so

They‘re doing the best they can, but what I mean is that they can‘t use a open source baseband chip, because there isn‘t a single one. They‘re all closed source.
Don‘t get this as an attack, I will buy it for sure, and they do the very best thats possible, but there simply isn‘t a open source baseband chip yet. Thats also why it‘s possible to switch it off, physically.

Jow Forums is full of shills riding qualcomm phone dicc with aosp roms and expecting NSA cant touch them, qualcomm/exynos/apple phone chips have NSA backdoors in them

huawei is the only one to not have NSA backdoor until purism or pine64 or RPi with RISC-V comes

If this thing sells more than 100k units, I will poop while doing a hand standing, mark my words.

seems cool but I'll probably stick with my iphone till i see if its functional or not

>ships with fsf endorsed os
>can install any other [debian based, but possibly others as well] gnu/linux operating system
>not locked into ios/android/wangblows appstores or bullshit
>can still run the android apps you know and love
>cellular broadband modem separate from main processor, has no access to your memory, storage, processes, etc.
>hardware kill switches for cellular, bluetooth + wifi, and microphone + camera
It's literally like a low powered laptop, but with the form factor of a smartphone, and a bonus regular cell connection, all while catering to the concerns of freetards and tinfoils.
It's what smartphones should have been from the very beginning (a real desktop OS on a handheld touchscreen, rather than crippled phone OS simultaneously being forced onto your desktop (MUH PROGRESS)).
Even if you don't care about freedom or privacy this seems like a fucking awesome step in right directions for what these devices should actually be.
I'm stoked.
People worrying about screen resolution or processor speed are totally silly.
I haven't had a phone since the Snowden leaks in 2013 - According to your numbers this will still be better than what we had back then. And I don't know how crazy whatever future your living in is, but with regards to handheld screens and what not, things back then were already undetectably perfect.
Ignore the NSA/Google FUD, they're afraid of it because of what a device like this existing actually means - It's going to be great.

Attached: garterglorious.jpg (889x711, 314K)

Even if there was a liberated chip, you're still opening the door to the cell provider to run their code on your device.
This is just the nature of how cell networks work (and yes, it's terrible).
Without an entirely different infrastructure and standard, this workaround of separating the baseband is about as good as you're ever going to get.

>he fell for the 1080p+ on phones meme
I can understand 1080 if you have a phablet, but anything above is beyond retarded when all smartphones are scaled to 360-480p. You literally don't have any benefits going over 720p when you're not fucking using even half of that resolution.
And no, muh videos don't count because watching videos on a phone for "resolution" is completely retarded. This device already has the better option, connect the device to a proper display to watch shit if you want quality.

EU tax makes it 750$ anyway.

Too expensive. I don't buy smartphones over 200€. And usually they last me 3 or 4 years.

after having laboriously dragged people in my life into using Signal I want to make sure that'll work on it before I'd consider buying it. Knowing Moxie he'll throw a shit fit about it not fitting his conception of what's sufficiently normalfag-friendly, like he did with the google play dependency.

(and I refuse to pre-order any product of any kind as a matter of principle - you don't get my money until you actually have something to give me and I can evaluate what it actually is, as opposed to what you promise me it'll be)

neat, but too expensive for me

ever heard of osmocom?
they're in the process of RE'ing several baseband chips
once they have one mediakek chip RE'd, it should be fairly easy to adjust that to other ones, because they're all fairly similar
backdoors aren't even necessary, since security is shit
broadband stack, wifi stack and usb stack will allow for code execution in pretty much any phone
it'd surprise me if noone were to make a touch-friendly signal client that runs on the librem

>What do you think of the Librem 5 phone?
I will think something if it actually gets released.

>pre-ordering a device which has been delayed twice already and not even certain to see the light of day
>huawei is the only one to not have NSA backdoor
>devices with permanently locked bootloaders are the safest/most private
The state of this board...

what, huawei generally use qualcomm SoCs, right?
and even on huawei, you don't ave controll over your bootloaders

huawei uses own soc

huawei bootloaders are unlockable via funkyhuawei or ministry you fucking faggot

unlockable via funkyhuawei or ministry for $20

Mite be cool.
But could easily be destroyed if any big vendor ever had an epiphany to not be a cunt for once in their life.

Who knows what the ecosystem will be like in years to come if/when android gets killed off

>What do you think of the Librem 5 phone?
It doesn't exist, there's obvious shills in this thread, sounds like a scam especially with the native cryptoscam client listed as a "feature".

Ithink I read that they are trying real hard to upstream all the code they wrote for this phone to upstream projects, which shoud in theory make it just work with other OSes.

So you should be able to get PostmarketOS, or Lineage, or whatever. That's a big win.

As for hardware, I couldn't give less fucks. Pricepoint is unfortunate, but considering that they are the only ones that will do the software right, I'd give them money.

(Though I'd rather buy a Fairphone, but those retards really ducked up software side, so that it totally negates the hardware)

Nice idea, but too expensive. I'll surelly buy the pine64 phone

Will they share schematics and parts list?
I think I can order PCBs from china and assemble one myself 2 times cheaper.

>5g
why would you want cancer

But can I assemble one myself?
I mean, communism works like that, 80% of interesting stuff in USSR was DIYied from stolen parts.

I preorderered one, because I'm too paranoid to trust that anything else will be safe to use given what's coming.

Excited for it. Never owned a smartphone due to lack of trust in the software, so idgaf about specs. As long as I can browse the web, chat online, take pictures/video, email, and fit it in my pocket I'll be happy. Because I haven't been burning thousands of dollars constantly upgrading phones like some people do, I easily have $599 to burn on this, so I'm fine with being the guinea pig for the first release.

Attached: 1393725916396.jpg (500x449, 39K)

>huawei bootloaders are unlockable via funkyhuawei or ministry you fucking faggot
Yeah, but only if you pay someone for the unlocking process. And God knows who'll have your IMEI that way. Super secure and private. Even if you get your bootloader unlocked, you're still stuck with Huawei's firmware either way. Super secure and private as well.

>no keyboard
>outdated hardware
>expensive
I just want Nokia N7 remastered

I know, I'm just making fun of it.

>lblah blah ibrem, security, only two remote holes
Nice marketing meme

in india they unlock it at service centre, so that is also an option

Huawei rooted unlocked is better than snapdragon/samsung/apple for privacy as of now, and the best until open hardware phones come

>Huawei rooted unlocked is better than snapdragon/samsung/apple for privacy as of now
>proprietary Huawei firmwares which stop getting updated after 2 years are better than custom ROMs, latest security patches and microG

Attached: 1542431395764.png (331x132, 40K)

>if any big vendor ever had an epiphany to not be a cunt for once in their life.
frankly impossible

This. I might buy Librem 5 if they ever drop price to 300-350$.

The idea is good but with a premium price they need premium or even modern hardware. If you don't have an open driver for 802.11AC or better now, you can't just drop in old N garbage and expect it to be enough for a $600 device in 2019! Spend your money on getting some of the underlying tech open that you need first.

Also, if you can't fully support Android then fuck off. It can either be supported as a full installed OS and or VMs that can seamlessly run Android apps while on the default Linux OS. I know bitching and moaning about freedom hurr durr but this is supposed to be a everyday carry useful phone and if you cant run Android apps, that's a no go. It's just a little curiosity of a PC running Linux. If I wanted that there are plenty of other places to go and for cheaper.

As it stands now it's little different from so many other devices where you give up a ton of power and modern usability for privacy and openness. There are plenty of cheaper already available ways to do that. The Librem was supposed and proceed to be a modern full function device that also was open etc but it seems to have fallen short . A little more time and investment in full Android support including seamless apps and underlying tech would be better

that only unlocks the last stage, not earlier bootloaders

It's fairly rare to get security patches to the kernel even on custom roms, tho

Too expensive.
I'd rather buy several Redmi Note 5.

>preorder
Y I K E S

And you sure as hell aren't getting firmware patches. You may be able to port the latest Android to an older device, but really once it stops being officially supported with updates, your "security" goes right out the window.

>It's fairly rare to get security patches to the kernel even on custom roms, tho
Huh? Custom ROMs are compiled from AOSP, so, where does the lagging behind in updates part come in?

>You may be able to port the latest Android to an older device
Sure, but why buy older devices when you don't have to buy $1000 as an upgrade at this point? Ported ROMs are just a way of asking for trouble.
>And you sure as hell aren't getting firmware patches
xiaomifirmwareupdater.github.io/#stable
I'm not going to check this for every manufacturer, but it is a thing and it is possible.
>but really once it stops being officially supported with updates, your "security" goes right out the window.
And your security is non existent on any OEM firmware period. Not only are those proprietary, can be riddled with pre-installed telemetry software, they are also abandoned after 2 years. By the way, the S5 is still community supported and has Android Pie ROMs available.

Buy a $1000 device*

>he doesn't have a slide phone
kek, look at this notch fag with horrible screen ratio
mi max 3 mustard rage

some custom roms are compiled from aosp, but I don't know of any devices whose custom roms run on "upstream" android kernels
yes, because I should trust a random pajeet with my firmware :)

anyhow postmarketos (postmarketos.org) is a project that aims to solve these issues

how many bootloaders are there for one device?

>using NSA backdoored hardware instead of huawei firmware which is secure

nice try NSA

you can buy a new huawei phone every 2 years if you want security that much, or wait for open hardware phones

security and privacy has a price if you are willing to pay, else use NSA botnet like your mom and dad

generally, there are several bootloader stages
on qualcomm devices, there are 3-4, but I don't know how many there are on kirin SoCs

Does it exist?

>No Messenger
>No WhatsApp
What makes it a 'smart'phone?

basically
>no NSA/FBI backdoors

It doesn't even exist yet, so
>no NSA/FBI backdoors
Or any negatives can exist for it.

>eei guise this thing is botnet
>just trust me man
Anything else to add, genius?

Great, would love it to be smaller like a Nexus 4
And cheaper

Will be $100 cheaper if you order before the end of this month.
And if you change your mind, you can cancel your order for a full refund before it ships:
puri.sm/policies/

>WhatsApp
maybe, but I still need it

>phone made by trannies
Why would you let yourself get fucked by trannies in the name of free software ?

Burn in hell FBI scum!

>Buying a librem before it hits shelves
No thanks. I've chosen to listen to all of librem's past donators, and won't be buying anything until after the products are proven to deliver what was advertised.

From what yead is it?2012
Jesus that bezel

Enjoy your botnet samsung, normie

>reeee wheres my current tech
use a samsung if youre so obsessed with new things, retard

>yes goy buy our (((librem))) phone running trannyOS. Just trust us and take our word for it goy there are no (((backdoors)))

Freetards are literally the dumbest herd of cattle.

Attached: 1546754505433.gif (500x500, 1.81M)

Attached: 1518611925457.png (680x649, 169K)

>Freetards are literally the dumbest herd of cattle
Compared to whom? The ignorant masses? People who understand that they're buying and installing proprietary hardware/software and don't care about the risks? I don't see it.

refugees welcome am i rite?

I have a ((((libre)))) pile of shit to sell you, only 799 American shekels.

>"you are a jew for wanting to buy something I am too cheap to buy"
>"if you disagree with me you're a libcuck!"
kill yourself

pol doesn't know anything about EE/CE/CS so they assume nobody else does. there are electrical/computer engineers and software developers here who can easily check to see I anything is going on.

Even if you were correct, (in what I'm assuming you meant) that libre products are compromised, one is still doing the good thing by supporting them and creating a market for them, so that others will join to compete. If you take proprietary like a good goy despite understanding the difference, you're doing the world a disservice.