Old computer thread

I just got a TRS-80 model 1 with some accessories. Let’s talk about old computers.

Attached: DDBF4EF0-82EB-4F62-8B33-437799852CC5.jpg (1425x1044, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/T14dL9MeMHE
youtu.be/HDMkw6lnzmI
club100.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=IztxeoHhoyM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

seems pointless

kill yourself boomer

>not Pentium 3 or 4
Outside of the average Jow Forumsentooman's experience

I thought there were occasional vintage computer threads here.

>seems pointless
To you.

Correct. I had a Spectrum and used a BBC quite a bit. Hammering down the space lanes to Riedquat with the cargo bay full of contraband was quite the journey.

Right on, Commander !!

Attached: 1481897511573.gif (500x700, 999K)

Cool! I always wanted to get into euro computers but it’s a huge pain importing and running them here in the US.

The 6502 is by now legendary and lives in in modern projects. Just pop over to 6502.org to see what is up. Or you could check out this windowing system on a 64 KB 1 MHz machine.
youtu.be/T14dL9MeMHE

I’ve tried getting it to run on my Atari 800 but it needs a really late era 8bit machine with much more ram than mine. Have you seen the MOnSter? youtu.be/HDMkw6lnzmI

give me

Attached: apu1.jpg (252x190, 9K)

Thats awesome! I just got old thinkpad x200 and I am loving this retro beauty. I am thinking installing Win95 or WinME on this

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x977, 155K)

>Have you seen the MOnSter?
Yes. Wonderful stuff. I did a lot of embedded assembly programming on the 6502 back in the day. A really old platform but there was no point in upgrading.

How does it compare to the Z80?

The TRS-80 Model 100 was pretty neat. I think I still have a Tandy 102 at my mom's house unless she threw it out.

club100.org/ for some vintage feels

They've popped up less and less in the past few months. They just don't get as many clicks as the idiotic AMD vs. Intel threads, or the ones with Linus's face on them

I bet you use a lot of BBC

Attached: 9DBA6D6A-B43A-4CAC-B9FE-C12775324812.jpg (848x1024, 90K)

I saw one at a yard sale but they wanted $250 for it.

Went from Trash-80 to C64 to DOS PC here.
Lately I've actually been refurbing old 2/3/468 hardware for sale that I either had in my pile o parts or pick up as lots. People are on some sort of nostalgia kick and paying ridiculous prices. Undocumented QDI/Legend motherboards are especially profitable to use because nobody remembers how to configure them so they're basically free.

Peak 8-bit collecting was about 15-20 years ago. Now some of the older computers are rare enough that people are asking a lot more for them. Check out VIC-20s on ebay lel. I'm going to stick to emulation.

Related, how do i get this look youtube.com/watch?v=IztxeoHhoyM
on my Linux?

Wars were fought over that question. To me 6502 is an aesthetically pleasing ISA while Z-80 is revolting. The 6502 would have killed the Z-80 advantage in 16 bit pointer handling had SWEET-16 been implemented in silicon.

I think it would great to set up old network infrastructure and bbs to escape what the web has become.

You get a long way with plain vector drawings, pausing between each leg.

Attached: battlezone.gif (961x617, 296K)

Thats pretty old man. I remember the 486 I played on as a kid... with a green color monitor... * sips * now those were the days. Anyone remember Norton Commander? Lords of the Realm?

considering their age it already could count as retro

Yeah, even comes with a bunch of boomer games.

Attached: s-l1600 (4).jpg (1600x1199, 320K)

>payroll data tape
>yeah fuck that, that's my backgammon backup now
Imagine the comfort level of this guy as he gamed on his trash-80

>trash-80
That's a very unfair moniker.

Hey, I just noticed this TRS-80 is one of the really early units without the numeric keypad! Even better!!!

My dad had a model 1 like OP, several of the pocket computers, and a model 100. For me it's a term of endearment.

>Hammering down the space lanes to Riedquat with the cargo bay full of contraband was quite the journey.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Attached: what.jpg (1920x1080, 270K)

I have two of these with the expansion base and a bunch of fucking tapes that I really need to do something with. I always liked the general aesthetic and generally more productive focus of the TRS-80s.

pretty sure xterm has had built-in Tektronix emulation since the beginning
you'd just need to figure out how to throw a bunch of filters on it or something if you're just talking about the glowy effect

Attached: capture-2019-01-18-22-02-15.png (1280x1024, 27K)

notching a floppy so you could store 140k on the other side :D

Attached: Copy_Plus_5.5_clean_rip_from_original_disk.gif (560x384, 11K)

For me, it's the Commodore PET

Attached: pet2001front.jpg (600x520, 38K)

Cool, got this from the trash last year

Attached: 20180613_150646.jpg (4032x3024, 3.73M)

>r5k with presenter
that's a pretty fucking good dive

Yeah, its a neat thing.
I never looked into it tho, i just saw a different looking comp shell and grabbed it.

Hello frens

Attached: futureproof rtc solution.jpg (1280x960, 379K)

this is fucking stupid, throw it away and move on with your life

here' my Fujitsu FM-7, I've loaded dig dug into it by playing back a WAV file into the cassette port, it only took about twelve minutes. The FM-7 is a dual 6809 machine with AY-3-8910 PSG. it's quite a charming machine.

Attached: DxQcpOGWoAA_mJy.jpg (900x1200, 162K)

and since this thread is dildos and Jow Forums is full of kids and retards, here is fallout 4 being played on a philco predicta via hdmi->composite->RF adapters.

Attached: 11ooxy4s7e511.jpg (1200x1200, 1.28M)

here's a Sharp X68000 XVI playing super hang-on with a Cyber Stick analog controller, a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 sound canvas can be seen also.

Attached: DjmbSFwUUAAu3PV.jpg (1200x900, 197K)

You should try the original BBC Elite, it runs well on emulators such as on Raspberry Pi. Graphics look poor, initially, but it sure captivates you. It also helps hammering down the space lanes to Riedquat.

Has anyone ever built a clone of an old IBM PC by soldering a bunch of ic to a board? I think it'd be a fun project.

>thinkpad x200
Good

>Win95 or winme
Just install Linux it can run modern programs

Anything that's above 2001 or Windows XP is not /vintage/

remember to minimize dotcrawl artifacts by making the computer output a black/white image

Ok.

I thought most Model Is didn't have it and the keypad was a relatively late addition.

It got the nickname because the Model 1 was unreliable and flaky as fuck. Radio Shack built them on the cheap and it was apparent. You could never be entirely sure that you could read back anything you saved to disk or tape.

If yours worked at all and didn't require repairs, you're lucky.

Nope, another give away that it's an earlier version is that it has the full "MEMORY SIZE" and "RADIO SHACK LEVEL II BASIC" which were shortened in later models to conserve ram.

Yeah, he really needs to get on board with the shitty direction technology is heading right now, and quickly remove any reminders of what it once was from his life. All of us should just ignore history and run blindly into the future without ever looking back.

Were capacitors just giant glass bulbs in the 1950s?

Attached: 1508069632201.jpg (480x480, 37K)

Have you never seen a vacuum tube?

transistors

>sidecars

Attached: pcjr_isa_sidecar.jpg (500x353, 51K)

>8 bit
>10 times slower than arduino
>beats windoze
Why even live?

Attached: 1537398261972s.jpg (250x194, 8K)

It's a good technical demo but unless equally performant software can be written for it the utility's questionable.

That system had some dope games

Rate my sl410.

Attached: IMG-20190117-WA0001.jpg (1836x3264, 496K)

>have bentium with MB-8500TAC-A board I'm trying to get working
>doesn't boot
>check jumper settings
>previous owner's settings indicate 512K cache w/32K TAG
>two 128K UMC QFP chips soldered to the board
>additional cache DIP sockets were never even soldered on from the factory
>DIP socket for the TAG is installed and populated with a 32K UMC chip
>the base 256K via the QFP modules doesn't require a TAG at all
>since there's no cache upgrade sockets there's no reason for this (at the time) expensive TAG chip to be here at all
I've seen plenty of boards with fake cache chips but this is the first time I've seen one with a real one it's not even using.

we already have /tpg/

Attached: Tektronix 4012.webm (640x360, 2.88M)

Forgot my pic.

Attached: mb8500tac-a cache nonsense.jpg (1740x2320, 1.51M)

>10 times slower than arduino
wat

100x slower than arduino

what kind of dumpster do you go to find this at?

The very point is that equally performant software CAN be made, you just need good programmers. Remember the first spreadsheet, VisiCalc, was made on a 1 MHz 6502 Apple 2 with 48 KB RAM. And it worked.