Speaker and audio system general

Speaker and audio system general.
I have questions about room treatment.

Attached: IMG_20190118_170133945.jpg (4000x3000, 2.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

auralex.com/
youtu.be/Z2OCqSM8ylQ
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-electrical-impedance-and-phase
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Excuse the mess, but im trying to treat my dorm room, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing. Is my first reflection on the window? Should I spilt up the tiles or put them together?
Im standing in the corner for this shot.

Attached: IMG_20190118_164233299.jpg (4000x3000, 2.9M)

Again excuse the mess.
I have 2 more tiles where should I put them? This is from the window in the first picture.
I listen from the bed, if I'm listening critically, it's from where the 4x4 square is.

Attached: IMG_20190118_170626043.jpg (4000x3000, 2.94M)

thank god /ag/ is back
/hpg/ doesn't know jack about speakers except jbl 305s for some reason

>is back
That which is dead..

First reflections are where the waves first make contact with the walls and get send straight back to your position. You can use a mirror to help find these points.
The one from your ceiling is arguably a higher priority to remove.

I just bought a pair of Ls50s because I noticed they were on sale at kefdirect. I wonder when they will come though as it said it was backordered.

R'lyeh isn't sound proof, you know. I'd avoid talking about it...

Should I put them over the listening position?

Which amp are you using to power those speakers? Are they the b5 or b6s?

They're the elac b6.2, im using the smsl ad18. Its perfect for my desk.
Getting a sub soon.

Midpoint of listening position and speakers. Hence the mirror.
In case you didn't know, fiberglass and Rockwool are broadly more effective at acoustic absorption. Foam is just easier to handle.

They don't know very much about headphones either.

OK thanks. I should probably put down some carpet too

There were a couple of posters looking into the JBL M2. Why that speaker?

While it would be good to add more absorption to the rear wall, that point also happens to be on your bed.
Those panels and wedges should be both deeper and wider to be effective.

What are you thinking for a sub?

how much you paid?

Attached: 32323.jpg (2013x3022, 1.56M)

What's in the bottom pic?

Thoughts on the Dali Zensor 1?

Attached: 1534981485747.jpg (272x470, 45K)

looks like a tv, sofa, sound system, some other assorted furniture
could be a living room

I may be overthinking things but those speakers while they may be referred to as "bookshelf" speakers in your case would possibly be better if they were on stands or mounted on the wall very securely if possibly... they just look like they're going to be reflecting off that desk maybe at least bring them out to the edge so there's no hard wood right in front of them.

Attached: hales.jpg (738x519, 49K)

999 usd.

I already need to make another shelf

Attached: rack complete.jpg (1333x2000, 688K)

these thin foam walls do literally nothing for either absorption or dampening. they may diffuse a little.
the thicker ones in the corners for bass are slightly effective, as little as this sort of super light foam can get.
look into building your own frames filled with insulation material and covered with sheets/cloth.
i would not be surprised if you notice no difference whatsoever after wasting time setting these up. your room already has enough to absorb and dampen sounds.

foam walls, i meant foam sheets

generic foam panels won't do much due to their light material and are really just a meme. it's better to get specially-made foam panels or acoustic treatment panels.
auralex.com/

How far from a backwall should I sit. I understand "the farther the better", but that's not possible, is there some rule, like "more than 1/4 of wavelength your speakers can produce at -6 dB drop" or thing like that.

buump

These thin things only make everything worse. You either need thick shit (or specially designed) or just remove them at all.

>elac
do you enjoy muffled treble user?

I paid 999 cad+ tax during boxing week sale, did I do gud? also grabbed KEF Kube 10b for 500 cad

If you at least get a few feet away from your back wall, that's a huge improvement.

Quadral Platinum M20 bookshelfspeaker
B&W 608 Subwoofer
Teac AI301DA amp
Audiomagic Genta speaker stands handmade from denmark

way to much, this speaker is 6 years old now and they still charge the same prices, speaker buisness ain't nintendo

eitherway have fun missing out on sparkling dynamics and hi-end frequency spectrum, but atleast you have that coaxial directivity which is only good for monitoring and bass extension for their size

I'm pretty sure speaker prices do not go down.
Atleast most of the speakers.
There are not too much reasons to do that.

overhyped speakers surely don't drop their price yeah.

Can you name a speaker that dropped price significantly after release (when not on sale, clearance or things like that).

Sure

Wharfedale Diamond 225
Heco Victa Prime 302

pic related, and many others

Attached: 2019-01-19 13_21_22-B&W Serie 600 684 S2 ab € 349 (2019) _ Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland (1561x322, 157K)

the newest one is the mission qx2 which was at 449€ for 3 months and then dropped to 379€ at a shop and it is sold out already for that price as it seems. bad decision though

What is the correct to place for a subwoofer? Woofer should be as close to the wall as possible or is it ok to have it a little bit into the room (like 70-80 cm from the wall).

Don't you know what we call raggamuffin?

Attached: Screenshot_20190118_185450.png (1280x1024, 263K)

Google the "sub crawl". The correct placement is just like speaker placement; you basically fuck with it until it just werks. Typically, for a single sub, you'll have it on an almost parallel line with your front/mains, and either off to the side or between them...but it may work better in a corner, on the opposite side of the room, etc. based on room acoustics, preferences, use of trim/EQ...

Normally found by experiment. Furniture in the room will mess up any closed-form solution at determining the low-frequency acoustics of the room.
Corner placement is usually not the best way to distribute bass in the room evenly, but it may increase the low-frequency output of the sub.
If you don't have a microphone, you may as well try the sub crawl. EQ can help a bit if you focus on a sweet spot.

Sealed sub?

I need desktop foam stands like pic related, any Idea ?

>any idea?
Yeah, buy some. If you don't have a particular aesthetic need, simple stands will do as long as you get the height or angle that you need.

Convince me this is a bad purchase.

Attached: denon_pma60_pma_60_2_channel_digital_integrated_1382291.jpg (1000x1000, 51K)

Convince me this is a bad purchase.

Attached: product_detail_x2_desktop_KH-805-810-Left_Neumann-Studio-Subwoofer_M.png (730x730, 514K)

Those cheap 1" thick foam squares don't really do much unless you place them behind furniture like bookshelves/desks or double stacking the pieces. Best they'll do is get rid of room echo. Like what other anons say you'll need thicker and more dense foam like Auralex but that shit is like $200 for a few pieces. I just ordered some 2" foam sold by Fstop Labs on amazon so gonna see if they're good since they're only $40. They look pretty decent based on reviews.

clean your room user

based Nick Cage. that dude always comes out in the most based movies.

cannot be done. one of the best purely analog subs out there atm

There are subs with much greater output for that kind of money, but if you need to have all of those controls and inputs at the subwoofer itself, there aren't as many alternatives. You can apply analog/digital signal processing before the sub, that is an option.

The Rythmik FV15HP has XLRs on request, but not quite as many XLRs. You still get the single PEQ band, level, phase, polarity, and crossover.

-hiss-

Attached: C5D46416-584E-4713-A43A-025B28435E72.jpg (1536x2048, 789K)

They havent released a revision of that line in that time and likely wont for the near future, that is what causes speaker prices to go down. I am fine with my choice, I dont really give a fuck if a random on Jow Forums of all places thinks I wasted my money, I spent more money on fragrance as gifts for my girlfriend this Christmas than I did on those speakers. Must be terrible to think that one thousand dollars is a lot of money.

Still holding on to these?

That rhythmic would be more expensive where I live. I mean kh805 version of a sub (stereo).

It’s a nice speaker senpai, I doubt anyone here has ever set one up properly. Ls50 sounds better if you feed it quality power and source, I doubt anyone talking shit about it here has heard it properly setup and being fed quality youtu.be/Z2OCqSM8ylQ

Attached: 275EA55A-1912-4EFA-8151-96B640173FFB.jpg (4032x3024, 1.73M)

what's the point of having nice speakers when you guys listen to nothing but Nickelback and gay ass anime soundtracks?

So that Nickleback and gay ass anime soundtracks sound better, duh.

Attached: 1419748198718.jpg (640x1080, 173K)

phone post fucked up my post. Meant to say: The people in these threads talking shit have never heard these speakers setup properly being fed quality electronics. Setting them up 4 feet apart on your fucking desk is not how you listen to them. Dunno how I butchered my post so bad.

Wtf, these speakers probably cost 1/10 of that electronics rack, just why?

I am just going to be running them with a parasound hint, more than good enough for glorified computer speakers along with a sub.

If you clap in the room you can hear it bounce between the walls. I'm trying to cut that down some.

>"you're using them wrong!"
okay Steve Jobs

Nah. Downgrading next month but I’m upgrading later this year again. Going to be pretty exciting. Gonna be getting an even better speaker.

>stereo sub
You could do that with a different wiring configuration, but if the price doesn't fit, it doesn't matter.
Do you live in Russia?

You go through speakers like clothes.
What models are you looking at?

Yes, I live in Russia. I meant not two subs, but kh805 that has only 2 xlrs and is stereo-only not 7-xlr kh810. It would be a single sub.

Wilson, magico, avantgarde

The day has finally arrived, and the meme face-off has begun! Keeping in mind that this room is asymmetrical pretty shit for placement options and I have no mic on hand to do actual measurements yet, so far I've found the following:
>Buchardt sounds more natural and even; the Omens feel like they have mid or mid-high suckout?
>Omens do surprisingly good in the sub-bass, but mid-bass is lacking.
>Omens seem overly bright, but the Buchardts are a bit relaxed/more neutral, so it may be more by comparison than outright sharpness on their own. I haven't found them to be overly fatiguing as such
>Omens are FAR more picky with placement, the worse off-axis performance is very real
>Imaging & soundstage is solid on both, but Buchardts tend to deliver better sense of depth and a more clear center image
I can't outright say that the Omens suck, but so far, the Buchardts are far and away the winner, and certainly in my setup/application. I also don't have good means to do a proper blind A/B, so I'm doing my best to maintain even placement/SPL/etc while judging them. I'm pretty sure that the Omens are going to be making a return trip in the end.

Attached: 20190119_110332.jpg (1210x908, 402K)

Cool user. Thanks for sharing!

Attached: 771EB8A5-E384-4747-AD5B-7B0C2FB8705E.jpg (768x1024, 192K)

>cringe the pic

should have bought used for $600

one of my best purchase in years

Attached: 1544710943110.jpg (1035x690, 31K)

400 dollars isnt much money chum.

i got the ls50 active for a little over $1000

Thats fine, I don't need internally powered speakers nor do I want them.

>It's better to buy things for cheaper when you can!
Thanks for the hot tip!

Attached: slowpoke.jpg (1422x800, 97K)

Rate my latest acquisition

Attached: 20190115_211312-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 745K)

Attached: 20190116_212606-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 843K)

Attached: 20190116_212617-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 1.08M)

What's a good pair of speakers available in europe for under 300€?

>4ohms that's actually just 2+2ohms
eww?

It’ll go low as hell but you’d get richer and warmer more natural sounding bass out of a Beyma woofer. I’ve never heard a long throw woofer sound as good as my custom bass cabinets.

I meant what models your next two speakers will be. Also why those.

18-inch sub drivers with useful upper bass. Nice value, good performance, suited for large boxes.
Where do you plan on installing the cabins?

That's more a matter of the linear parameters. Pro-style woofers tend to have lower inductance and high resonance frequencies to make that sound.

What a weird selection after your previous model selection.

yikes that's a big no from anyone with taste user

Next speaker is the downgrade to coherent gr12. From there I haven’t made up my mind. I’m going to go to my local high end dealer and check out their selection but I’ve been leaning towards the Avantgarde Acoustics Duo XD or Wilson Audio Specialties Shasha Series 2 or Sasha DAW. I’ve heard speakers from both these companies already actually from their lower line - Wilson Sabrina / Avantgarde UNO Nano so I imagine their bigger speaker will sound even better. Also considering Yg, Magico and others but I’ve got to go hear them. There’s so many speakers in the 20-50k price bracket I’m looking at it’s nuts. I also have to budget for decent electronics but I figure if I spend majority of my budget on speakers the rest will come easy.

Oh and I’m also considering going the Pro audio route and grabbing a pair of JBL M2 or even Dutch and Dutch 8c. Like I said this year is going to be exciting for me. Can’t fucking wait.

Attached: FE9968B7-76A5-47BF-AC04-6C85594EB2BE.jpg (1198x765, 662K)

They're going in a pair of these and will be crossed at 80-100Hz for home theater use. Waiting for an eBay coupon to get a NX6000D

Attached: [email protected] (369x369, 167K)

Why not multichannel setup for that kind of money?

Is this memes?

No, less resistance is worse for audio quality.
Obviously there is diminishing returns, but generally more resistance = more good.
Low resistance 'hifi' subwoofers are just repurposed competition car subs, in a power limited environment where you're being judged purely on SPL, less resistance == more noise for the same input power, which is good there.
In home theater or music listening, you're not aiming for SPL through the roof, you want something tight and accurate, not just loud for the sake of loud.

Here is a good write up on it - innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-electrical-impedance-and-phase
It explains the pendulum metaphor better than I had it written up.

Is this why my old 8 ohm car subs sound better than new stuff? I'd tell people it was 500 watts combined and that was somehow completely unbelievable compared to the 2000+ watt stuff of today

Probably, materials changes due to RoHS haven't helped either.

Don't forget - the lower the impedance is, the harder it is for amplifiers to push, because the lower the impedance the more current you have. And high current WILL make your amplifier feel bad. That is mostly why there are speakers that are "good at revealing bad amplifier" and "these speakers are so good resolving you hear different amplifiers really good on them". No, it is most probably retarded-engineered speaker with retarded impedance curve with no respect to end-user (or deliberately made so end-user will have to "search good amplifier that matches them")

The resistance has no relation by itself. Control of flux modulation and other inductive behaviors may not be emphasized in competition subs. The use of secondary windings in the motor to control magnetic flux and distortion will normally decrease BL, lowering motor strength.
Autosound is voltage limited, but less limited in current. Lowering impedance to extract more energy from the electronics is no problem, especially since class D amplifiers is a given in that application.

There could be dozens of reasons why it could sound better. Nominal resistance is ballpark figure assigned to simply the frequency dependent impedance of a woofer.

these foam sheets won't fix that. you need thick insulation frames.

What other options you would suggest?

>purely analog subs

implying anything else exists

Saving from a board wipe.

>999 cad
if it was new that's pretty good