Is freesync a meme? Thinking about getting a 1080p 144hz freensync monitor

Is freesync a meme? Thinking about getting a 1080p 144hz freensync monitor.

Attached: amd-freesync-100731316-large.jpg (700x462, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2CeZ0xbtfDo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends what you play.
Old games don't play nice with Freesync.
Some indie games don't play nice with Freesync.
Recent AAA titles play nice with Freesync.
If you play """competitive""" you probably don't want anything adding any kind of input lag.
You can very well live without adaptive sync.

It's almost a meme on 120/144/240 Hz.
Tearing is very visible on 60Hz because of how slow it's refreshing.

When I played on 60Hz, tearing was killing me. On 144Hz, I don't really notice it at all. Have you tried a 144Hz already?

Nah it's really good, and coupled with 144Hz images are really smooth and perfectly rendered.

I just upgraded from a 1080p, 60Hz, TN panel I've had for 8 years, to a Freesync2, 144Hz, 1440p VA panel, the AOC AG322QC4.

Fuck man, the difference is night and day. Even when I set it to 1080p, I just see more detail when the screen pans across a scene.

Freesync doesn't cost really anything to implement, so there's no reason to actively avoid it.

That's what I heard, I haven't tried one yet but my friend swears by it.

Definitely not a meme.
But at first even when enabled you won't really notice it.
You WILL however notice it when disabled if you're not constantly hitting enough fps vsync.

>don't want anything adding any kind of input lag.

Doesn't it REDUCE input lag by not having to wait for vertical sync?

>I just see more detail when the screen pans across a scene
It has absolutely nothing to do with Freesync though
>Freesync doesn't cost really anything to implement, so there's no reason to actively avoid it.
This.
If it doesn't play nice with your games/rig/cable/drivers, just turn it off

"""competitive""" gamers don't use v-sync either

Is 1440p 144hz the sweet spot right now?

Game choice literally has no effect on freesync whatsoever, because adaptive sync protocols have absolutely no interaction whatsoever with the game engine.

In fact, adaptive sync helps old games play smoother: youtube.com/watch?v=2CeZ0xbtfDo

gsync/freesync are only relevant for (unstable) framerates below 60 fps.

motion blur reduction (nvidia ulmb/benq dyac/strobing backlights) is much more important if you get stable 120+ fps framerates.

Attached: Motion Blur Reduction Nvidia ULMB Lightboost and BenQ DyAc.webm (960x540, 2.86M)

It is so much of a meme that even nvidia jumped the board.

>It has absolutely nothing to do with Freesync though
Yes it does, if you're looking at screen tearing with v-sync off, or experiencing stutter with v-sync on, you necessarily will see fewer accurate renders.

I seriously doubt you'll ever experience tearing on a 1440p 144hz monitor unless you run potato """competitive""" games that allow you to go above your monitor's refresh rate

Not 60fps but 60Hz. I dare you to see tearing at 20 fps at 200 Hz. You can't.
200 FPS at 20Hz? Yeah, that's some bad tearing. As is almost anything on 60Hz, especially when significantly over 60fps.

if you have to ask then you dont need it.

It's a good technology (better than v-sync) to stop screen tearing.

If you never felt bothered by screen tearing, you don't need it. If you constantly were using v-sync or such, this is the less silly way to do the same thing.

Going 120/144 makes tearing almost invisible. Just try it somewhere before buying.
Lower the detail, keep above native refresh rate and go BFI route if you really hate blur when tracking objects, though.

Well not every game I play runs at over 60fps all the time, and I'm not going to buy multiple monitors.

That's not the point.
59fps on 60Hz and
59fps on 120Hz is day & night, tearing-wise.

Not the same thing, dum dum

Gonna be honest here.
I switched to a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor a few months ago. I was on a 1080p 144Hz before that.
I can't say I notice a difference with Freesync. The only game that feels smoother is Doom when using Vulkan (and I can't even tell if it's due to Freesync or due to Vulkan pumping out a higher framerate). As for tearing, I never noticed obvious tearing on my old 144Hz.
You'll see a lot of people claiming Freesync makes everything smoother. I disagree. And I strongly suspect that those people switched from a 60Hz panel to a 144Hz Freesync one and think Freesync is responsible for the sudden smoothness they experience when in reality it's because of the higher refresh rate.

This. I've found that at 144hz, I can only see tearing if I'm actively looking for it. I assume at 240hz it becomes invisible.

I think the only real advantage to Freesync and similar come at relatively low framerates.

Attached: VRB.png (724x459, 50K)

No, Freesync helps with low refresh rate screens. Framerate barely makes a difference.