Lennart Poettering Appreciation Thread

One man has done what nobody has done before him. He made Linux into a cohesive, enterprise grade 21st century Operating System. The days of Linux being some hacked together garbage by some neckeard in his moms basement are over.

Attached: Lennart_poettering.jpg (1024x678, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Now we have hacked together garbage from dutch queer furries.

Makes neckbeards look normal.

fuck poettering shit. i use openrc/sysvinit

The Unix philosophy is an anachronism that shouldn't have outlived Bell Labs, and it held back progress. It's cargo culting, something people who don't know what they're talking about cite when they want to sound erudite in tech circles.

Lennart is the hero who finally slayed the beast.

>enterprise grade
That's a bad thing, not a good thing
github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

Because of filthy neckneards like this, the year of the Linux desktop hasn't happened.

Systemd is on every mainstream distro now.
Where's the YOTLD, user?

i really thinking about switching from Linux to BSD

I'm not a neckbeard and I use systemd, which is basically the best init ever created.

I just think hes a huge faggot.

Lennart is furry? OwO

Unix is garbage and always has been. It should never have gotten this far. Of course Microshit is even worse (for the most part). Systemd is a monstrosity. Pulse is a fucking abomination. Not sure what my point is here...

He's also a rustfag now

Attached: systemdrust.png (629x418, 92K)

Isn't this the guy who implemented firewalld as a blacklist by default firewall, with no way to default to DROP other than putting in a catch all rule?

The main garbage things about Unix are not in its philosophy, but rather the implementations. ACLs and users are ineffective in many circumstances, requiring things like SELinux to provide mandatory access controls.
Of course the best choice would be capability-based security, which is being implemented by Fuchsia and Genode/seL4.
Speaking of those, their microkernel nature will be more in line with the philosophy anyway. It's hypocritical to say that the OS should be full of little programs that each do one thing, and then have a giant several-million line monolithic binary running in kernelspace.

>redhat developer
>the same company that thinks users should be able to install packages globally without being root
>making anything worthwhile

nah, apparently that was done by a guy named Thomas Woerner

>microkernel
2019 will be the year of Hurd in the Desktop

Hurd is dead. Even as someone who likes the idea of microkernels I realize that.

based and redpilled

Hurd was never alive to begin with.

It was very much alive shortly before Linus got started on his kernel. See quotes from the man himself, as well as Tanenbaum

>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
>I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got minix.
--Linus Torvalds

>But in all honesty, I would suggest that people who want a modern "free" OS look around for a microkernel-based, portable OS, like maybe GNU or something like that.
--Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Attached: e7f5024eb998cd499f043af95ad2d40e.jpg (420x294, 41K)

Debian used to ship Debian/Hurd with Hurd in place of the Linux kernel.
It still exists but now it's maintained by the community IIRC.

pulse is a HOT piece of garbage

>lentard pootering
>syndromeD
>pusaudio

>>>/my mom's facebook/

And this is why I run Gentoo