Do you use a dumbphone?

Do you use a dumbphone?

Attached: 1.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/nokia_6301-2108.php
signal.org/blog/there-is-no-whatsapp-backdoor/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp#Security_and_privacy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reception_and_criticism_of_WhatsApp_security_and_privacy_features
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the point, you can get a cheap smartphone for a similar price and just not use the features you don't like.

Can't disable the botnet retard

Why bother, when the Xiaomi redmi note 5 pro is $140.

is $15

>muh botnet

I bet you think Bush did 911 too.

Used one for three years as my main phone. Still using it.

No but I'm dumb

Posted from my Nexus 6p

You mean you don't?

yes! I bought the 3g version of the 3310, it's served me well! I only have to charge it every 2 or so weeks, and it's CUTE

Can you get spare batteries for that cell, like the old BL-5C?

I haven't looked into it, but i'm sure you can

Yep, use exactly the same, dual sim. No need for a smartassphone botnet. I carry it most of the time in a Faraday wallet I bought for some $2 from DX. Big advantage: Uses the classic Nokia batteries BL-5C.

Do you carry a power bank with you? What are you doing if the battery is flat & you're on the road?

Because I don't want a fucking botnet that can be confiscated anytime by law enforcement. Important stuff is done on my notebook & properly encrypted.

that doesn't ever happen

Ok. Tks for the response & gn.

I use a smartphone because I'm a smart guy.

Attached: 1434260588753.jpg (1280x1244, 288K)

"Never Forget...just forget Building 7"
911 was a false flag

>dumbphones aren't part of the botnet
t.implying

or you can buy a small $150 laptop and a $15 dumbphone and be better off

dumbphone
>no botnet, no wifi or bluetooth
>battery lasts 2-4 weeks
>no stupid addiction to a smartphone, not socializing and wasting time
>can buy one with a good camera like the 3310(better than S7)

laptop
>can be properly encrypted and safer than any phone
>full keyboard/screen/operating system and can do real work comfortably
>relative to the greatest smartphone, a superior device even with some entry level celeron 4gb model
>potentially can be a primary device

Attached: Snip-it_1547598003589.jpg (396x142, 25K)

Seconded.

and a digital camera will be infinitely better than the best smartphone cameras, in zoom, low light, motion

smartphones, you cannot use as a sole device, so what is it really? it's like $200-$1,000 for a subpar camera with no features and low battery life, not possible to do real work, somewhat fragile tracking device, and ironically the GPS is probably the most useful tool of a smartphone. what is the point of of these powerful smartphones that are like $1,000? it's to waste time playing videogames on a 6" screen. it's useless.
apparently something worse than a $100 digital camera in a smartphone is considered very good.

I think the best way to go is either

>decent smartphone and desktop at home
or
>dumbphone and laptop that you bring everywhere

the first option would cost more but obviously have more power with it. the second option is extremely affordable. you can buy a prepaid phone and barely use it, but you will always have it. I guarantee most of Jow Forums at least rarely actually need to talk or text with anyone and have a smartphone as an excuse to fuck around instead of working, and they waste money on a phone plan.

>can buy good smartphones for like $50 now
>you'll always be that odd guy that doesn't even have a smartphone when they've been around for over 10 years and even old people use them
>no GPS, will have to carry around a laptop to google directions when you find a wifi signal and remember them

I bought a Nokia 1 a month ago. I could live with a dumbphone anymore. I needed maps and email. I really tried.

>I bought a Nokia 1 a month ago. I could live with a dumbphone anymore. I needed maps and email. I really tried.
it's too useful. it almost completely ruins laptops. email, maps, googling something quickly, taking pictures and video and immediately uploading it. dumbphones can't compete anymore. my garbage Alcatel was like $35 and to say I would take a dumbphone over this for the same price, it's so stupid, or DUMB :)

For me it was maps. I was completely lost in Berlin and had to ask people like a fucking idiot. A girl explained it to me (with her fucking phone) in Germanenglish and i still walked around for an hour in the rain asking people where the fuck i was. Went to an electronic store (mediamarkt is pretty cool and big) and bought a Nokia 1 with Android Go for €50. This is not happening to me ever again. The age of dumbphone is over.

electric jew TOTALLY NOT spying on you. shill.

all of you clowns in this thread that think a dumbphone can't be tracked are forgetting how they used to catch people who have cell phones by guessing their location from phone towers

And it is surprising accurate to profile someone connected to the network. All the numbers you receive or call are being recorded. Stay on the same place for 10 hours? Must be your home. Moving around and suddenly stop on a location for 8 hours? Must be your work. If a crime has been committed they always check who was connected to the nearby phone towers at the time. But i have the ultimate security phone! See pic. Start building!

Attached: 48765376.jpg (450x348, 12K)

Can anyone rec a CDMA dumbphone?
My flipphone of 5 years is beat and needs replacement.
US based btw.

Smartphone is fucking life safer when traveling especially if you are anti social.
I use google translate to making sense of japs toilet.

Yep, never had a smart phone in my life.

Some countries removed the physical train time tables with a screen that only shows the trains that depart and arrive on that very moment. Because everyone has an up to date journey planner in his pocket. You are totally screwed with your dumbphone. The world moved on. Where is that open source smartphone?

it's $700 and the hardware is garbage and still isn't released

All phones are botner retard. Don't use a phone if you want freedom.

only people who don't go outside can actually use a dumbphone

ive got one because my company doesnt allow. smartphone for security reasons

My friend, every communications device is a botnet. They can even listen through a dumb phone that you remove a battery from because it has an internal hidden battery

Are you completely unable to navigate without GPS? Especially cities. If you are lost, just ask someone wtf.

How would I phonepost in bed and on the shitter?
Although that actually sounds like a great reason to get a dumbphone.

>muh botnet

smartzombies stuck in the stone age did not realize less is more. Quality and quantity is inversely proportional, the more connected you are the less you get out of it

meanwhile dumb phones

>convenient
>compact
>durable
>low power, available for weeks
>cheap
>low footprint

enjoy your 24/7 pager duty, ads beamed directly to your nerve endings, reduced attention span and impaired social skills

>inb4
it is not a problem you grow up on memes, you are free to embrace your addiction

I'd like to but I can't. Just yesterday I played around with KaiOS at a store, it is a nice idea, but it is too slow for a dumb phone device, the lag of the main menu alone was horrible. Went to the store, there is nothing of usefulness there. It kept dropping wifi, I even restarted it thinking it just had been played a lot and had a lot of shit on memory but no, it was slow as fuck.

Attached: nokia-8110-mwc-2018-launch.jpg (805x500, 52K)

literally have it

Does it count if I have a flip phone that runs on heavily simplified Android?

Attached: Gratina.jpg (2832x3792, 689K)

I own one of those, it's shit.

Attached: SAM_0362.jpg (1728x1152, 892K)

Is that sharp one on the right a chinese one?

They're both Japanese, bought them from Amazon.

Attached: SAM_0363.jpg (1728x1152, 900K)

It isn't the best but it was one given to me by work. It lets me check train schedules, check twitter and line and watch the news if I take the non-express train.

I'm with What model is that sharp one on the right?

That actually was rotated on my computer, thanks Jow Forums.

I'd love to have one of those but I don't even know if they'd run Fate/Go given they don't have touch screens

Sharp SH-N01, it's about $90

>If you are lost, just ask someone wtf.
flyover detected

I wish I had android fliphone, but it's usually Japan only right? And for the price I could have bought a Xiaomi that's stronger than it.

If you're not in Japan you'll probably have to pay premium weeb tax to resellers since amazon.co.jp only delivers in Japan.
but paying that much for such a weak device?
>Snapdragon 210
>1GB RAM
>4GB storage
>Shit camera
Could just get a nokia or something

>all those life-cripples who can't get by without smartphones and call them lifesavers
You could call it lifesaver if it let you call the rescue when you break a leg in the mountains, when you see someone injured on the street and call ambulance or something.
Are you too dense to plan your route beforehand, make a map on sheet of paper or even just look at general area on map and walk by cardinal directions you can determine easily with barely any tech until you see some orientation point like main road or cathedral tower? Asking for direction is too hard or you're too stupid to understand or memorize couple hints? Are you such pathetic slave to your boss that you have to be 24/7 on your email?
Been using this shit gsmarena.com/nokia_6301-2108.php for years and never had a problem with any of the "problems" in this thread. New, 2017 or 2018 phone I got as an extra for signing contract still lies in the box because I see no reason to switch to something that doesn't offer anything I need while draining battery much faster. I charge current phone like twice a month.

shut up stupid goy

The botne.. I mean smartphones are a necessary lifesaving tool. Only terrorists and pedophiles care about datasecurity and privacy.

We are on Jow Forums after all...

Attached: thonk.png (7792x6343, 597K)

Just checked my local online shop, and for this device its like the equivalent of $230 brand new.
So I prefer to stay with my chinkphone.

It's called premium weeb tax, it's only 9800yen without.

I quit having a phone when my boss became over bearing and the joy of telling her "sorry I don't have a phone" was great, but that's because I lived in the rural US, and had a set routine and when venturing out I always knew exactly where I was.

In a city you can't do that, specially in Europe, weird hidden squares, places you heard about but don't know where they are, such and such place you need to be at in 30 minutes but don't even know where it is. Smartphones are great solutions for anyone who is in a city, on the go, and does not have a set routine, specially if one is looking for work. Quit talking like your reality applies to everyone else. Smartphones fill a role, and a good role in a lot of peoples lives, it isn't all social media apps and shit. I use mine for podcasts, camera and when in the city roaming around for finding places I have no clue where they are. If I aint doing any of that, I dont' even need a phone.

Yes. Technically speaking

Attached: IMG_20181202_214941.jpg (2000x4000, 3.42M)

if you don't connect a smartphone to the internet then it's the at exact same level of botnet as a dumbphone. cell providers keeps logs of the towers you connect to, and your location can be 'hack god" triangulated. and all your calls and SMS texts are logged as well.

if you genuinely care about privacy, it's time to buy some tin cans and thread.

if you hadn't simply dropped your dumbphone on top of your tablet you wouldn't have broken the screen on it.

Attached: hitormiss.png (251x201, 6K)

lol, have you talked to regular joes recently? Half of the population is even dumber, of course they will do anything they are told to, not just buying overpriced tetrises every other year
god forbid to think for a second

My philosophy is the reduce the amount of botnets to a minimum without severely inconveniencing yourself.
The government and your cell provider will be spying on you, but you have the easy choice of opting out of all the other spyware a smartphone offers, Google/Apple services and all your favorite apps and social networks for example.

>people's opinion of you not being plugged in to a smart phone as a social stigma is a reason to have fancier telescreen

Attached: IMG_1362.png (578x712, 32K)

>podcasts

literally a $1 dollar audio player can do that, it is you who are projecting his reality. Every coping zombie cites the 1% niche use case which they use like 5 times a year and still could be worked around with minimal fuss. Just accept your addiction breaux, this is the first step. You are addicted to internet points, push notifications and candy crush. Enjoy your stay in the botnet

Retard with a VoIP landline here.
Fuck nettalk

Last time i bought dumphone, its microphone started to break down after like three monts.

I use 5 year old smartphone i got from my mum and i am pretty content with it.

Actual good and interesting posts.

They spy and log your movements 24/7 based on cell tower triangulation. No doubt. You can easily take a sim card and battery out of a dumb phone. Smartphones are basically designed to make it as hard as possible to remove the battery and sim.

I'm not saying you should do this but the point of the matter is that you have the freedom to so if you wish. Just because they triangulate cell tower signals to determine positioning doesn't mean you should become defeatist and just accept the government and big corporations installing a chip in your brain.

>literally a $1 dollar audio player can do that
except that it can't, I have tried replacing it with other devices. any other so called alternative takes a lot more work.
>is you who are projecting his reality. Every coping zombie cites the 1% niche use case which they use like 5 times a year
lol wut? sounds like you're the one projecting, I use google maps in the city like every day, i see people on google maps everyday on the street, it is not a niche use.
>internet points, push notifications and candy crush
I don't use social media, or have any sort of "internet points". I never said everyone should have a smartphone, but to imply that smartphones aren't useful because of the botnet, you are are clearly delusional.

>microphone attached to a network of GPS-tracked cell towers
>unencrypted SMS
>completely proprietary GSM chip and firmware (see silent sms capabilities that law enforcement use for tracking)
>globally unique IEMI and IMSI numbers
>weak encryption between cell tower and phone
>not part of the botnet
literally the only thing that dumbphones do better than a properly configured/flashed chinese (chink backdoor > western devil backdoor) smartphone is that the custom firmware makes them less universal to exploit. enjoy your dumbphone, dumbass.

I's not even about security and privacy as I bet you can still do some shit with old phones + your service provider will sell you out anyway, either your data commercially (even though there will be less of it since those phones are old and don't offer as much info because it's not used due to lack of features), or to government whenever it asks. It's about fucking resourcefulness and being able to live without crutches. I'm not fully guilt-free because during last few hours-long blackout I noticed I had nothing to do besides playing with dog in candle light. I did not have any unread books left, all my entertainment that doesn't require nice weather and outdoors was in my PC, but seeing people complaining about getting lost and calling it lifesaver is on par with being mental cripple in my mind.

But I live in Europe, user. I use old car GPS only for work because I have to drive all around the state to cities I've never been before with time limits and look at those buildings before we lay fiber. For everything else I just walk by cardinals or by quick-made map on piece of paper because fuck sitting in traffic jams, I'd rather walk by foot. Sometimes i find myself walking to point with a map by roads I planned to walk through, but returning in general direction back and I got sidetracked like only twice in my life.

No because there are no joes here. Middle aged to older people get by just fine here. No idea about younger ones. I guess I'll have occasion to see if I get to work in school.

Attached: 1539659945927.png (1294x1230, 1.08M)

You sound like a baby (young, not whiny). The world works fine without your smart phone. You're just addicted. Yes MP3 players work fine to play fucking podcasts. Yes you can look up routes and plan beforehand. Yes you can just fucking ask outloud and anyone who had a smart phone will answer your question like a robot.

>He thinks his (((smartphone))) encrypts SMS and can't be read as they're logged

ahahahahaha

also
>remote java ME app backdoor installation using SIM toolkit, similarly to how cell providers add horoscopes and other garbage to your phone when you plug in one of their SIM cards
phones intrinsically = botnet

>using SMS
>not using signal or fucking even whatsapp and SMS as a fallback when less retarded options aren't available
can your dumbphone do this? yeah no that's what I thought enjoy your completely unencrypted communications

name me any device that you can use to text people all over the world, that can take pictures, that can also play music as well as download my podcasts automatically and delete the ones i have already listened to. as well as have or consult time tables for trains and ferry services in my city.
>plan beforehand
even i am not that autistic, go fuck yourself

>needing a cellphone
I usually carry my thinkpad with me when I'm leaving the house. Let's not pretend we're better than we are, how many of us actually leave their mom's basement?

>signal or whatsapp
bait

>he thinks whatsapp isn't auto decrypted as it is logged

ahahahahaha

But I do have a dumbphone (2G nokia with the camera removed because paranoia) Mainly because smartphones are a huge addiction, they develop a reflex in you that it's quite hard to get rid off. Now instead of doing shit in a smartphone on my free times, I have more time left with my thoughts, I feel that I'm more free. And that coupled with the fact that it's way simpler, it doesn't have a gigantic attack surface like smartphones do, you don't have more to risk with a dumbphone...because they barely hold any sensitive data, so it doesn't really matter, unlike smartphones with proprietary firmware and radio and everything else, in which you login to all sorts of things and risk being tracked to hell, due to the sensitive nature of smartphones, be them apple or android.
I bit the plug 3 years ago, and the only thing I'm missing is whatsapp, and I solved that issue 2 years ago with an android-x86 vm on my virtualbox. It really is better, don't hesitate to change if you find yourself addicted or dependent on it, it's really better to live without such device.

>open source and audited opportunistically encrypted SMS app replacement
>ubiquitous normie mostly-okay messaging app
>bait
signal.org/blog/there-is-no-whatsapp-backdoor/ read this and stop sperging about the hysteria MitM vulnerability story the media was running but whatsapp is owned by facebook and can't be compiled from sores so it's not my first choice, but it's better than sending information as plaintext and doing your adversaries' job for them.

Literally no difference apart from the fact that you're giving away your messaging information to zuckerberg and co. along with your telecommunications company and the government.

i still have nokia 5310 that i use for sms & call only i wish i could install messenger on it

>Jow Forums - anarchoprimitivism

Attached: 1521538588565.jpg (1200x1200, 214K)

>what is asymmetric encryption
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp#Security_and_privacy en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reception_and_criticism_of_WhatsApp_security_and_privacy_features governments are getting their knickers in a twist over what a bitch it is versus SMS so no. open sores would be nice to verify that no obvious backdoors are present and that private keys stay on the device and signal is the better option. go be retard somewhere else.

Dumbphone lines are costly where i live, frens. Also, not having botnet apps makes you basically inexistent here, i still need this stuff to work and contact mi parents.

Besides the obvious downsides of botnet (in my case the chinese botnet), i was never into smartphones myself. Rarely play games or browse, i just use it to keep in contact with people.

Damn weeb. Jk, I'm one too.

I wouldn't consider myself a weeb but sure.

>whataspp is a facebook subsidiary goy hand your data over to everybody else immediately goy instead, zuck will sell your data to the nice people you should be giving your data to instead
>oh btw pay us to use SMS lol
you've fallen for (((their))) propaganda

Yes. When I'm /out/ as backup - smartphones are niggers of power consumption.
Also, I like my cute lottle Nokia. Don't call her dumb.
Sure :)

Attached: pobrane (5).jpg (218x231, 8K)

>citing wikipedia on security
get out filthy jew

stop shitting up the thread with your bad english and stupid opinions pajeet

lo, I am smote. enjoy your botnet

Attached: pyramid-refutation.jpg (604x459, 48K)

>implying I don't use a secure messaging solution just because I think signal and whatsapp are shit
t.retard

you are an asshat

Well I already replaced the broken screen anyway

Attached: IMG_20190119_212948.jpg (4000x2000, 3.02M)