PC gaymen is so stupid. Why does it cost 4X more just to barely get 2X more FPS?

PC gaymen is so stupid. Why does it cost 4X more just to barely get 2X more FPS?

Attached: dumb_gaymers.jpg (6375x2919, 1.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/
youtube.com/watch?v=vrq1T93uLag
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

John Carmack said that with optimization consoles could get up to 2x the performance out of their hardware as PCs. Given, this was before DX12 and Vulkan, but it still probably rings true to some degree since almost no PC games implement async compute except like DOOM, and on console it's supposedly an easy 20-30% performance gain. And I'm sure at least a little more from hardware specific optimization; no one actually uses shader intrinsics on PC, except maybe DOOM.

If you just want to play games just get a console and forget about it.

only poorfags give a fuck lol
i dont owe any debts to anyone and im financially healthy. i can afford a $3k gayming pc

Its our damn fault, we bought Nvidia's high end no matter the price point for five years.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, this is what makes people go bankrupt. Did you already forget about the 07-09 housing crisis?

That is not an accurate comparable set of numbers. Fps is not directly correlated with money spent on graphics cards and even further the cost is not equally distributed for performance.

An issue largely has to do with API and optimization.

Additionally, two different technology practices determine how good the parts are. If one company has the better product they can artificially raise the price.

And finally the only thing that matters is hitting 60fps. Everything above that quickly diminishes in value and is pure performance, none the less hard to achieve.

Freesync and the likes are a meme and most games don't support locking at anything other than 60-75-120-144. So having 100fps is just gonna be screen tear city .

I'm not him, but it's kinda silly to compare $3k rig with $1mil+ houses.

>Freesync and the likes are a meme and most games don't support locking at anything other than 60-75-120-144. So having 100fps is just gonna be screen tear city .

You dont know what you are talking about, this is the issue that sync technology are specifically designed to solve.

its not true, otherwise you would see rtx 2080 quality games on consoles, yet they actually looks worse then rx 580. And guess what? consoles basically use downclocked rx 580..

rtx 2070 cost 2x and provides around 1.8X performance of rx 580.
If you want value just get rx 570 4gb for 140$ which is basically withing 5-10% of rx 580.
Better yet get a used rx 570 for 90$. So basically you can get your self ultra setting pc at 1080/60 for around 300$.

They look better than 580 tho. No GoW or Uncharted on PC. I believe him

Shit is stagnating
7nm gains on gpus ain't as good as everyone thought at least for gcn Vega 2 shit.
Nvidia will work out turing and update it and cut it back till it's streamlined for gaming like pascal was compared to kepler Maxwell and fermi which all aged like milk meanwhile 3 year old 1080s only just getting beat by Vegas and midrange rtx 2060

Pareto principle.
Same reason you can get to 200mph in a $60k modded muscle car, but to get to 250mph requires a $2million+ hypercar.

amd just put shrank there node got 25% clock boost and called it a day, literally 14nm Vega = 7nm Vega in terms of architecture

Turing IS the streamline. They added new, physical units dedicated to accelerate raytracing. Turing is a gaming specialized Volta with the raytracing units, "RT cores", added into the pipeline just to accelerate the math typically used in raytracing. Unless RTX really bombs I don't see them cutting it back for high-end cards or as part of a new architecture, maybe cut down Turing for lower to mid range cards. Nvidia usually doesn't back off of their tech until. They've been working on physx for over a decade and just released 4.0 with more features and optimizations for IK solvers, they're still working on Tegra Xavier with a new custom ARM uarch that's fucking 10, TEN, wide, and they're still peddling G-sync which needs custom hardware nvidia produces.

Too bad that 90% of freesync monitors on the market on support freesysync from 40-75 fps.

>Just because you can buy this great well-balanced $8 meal doesn't mean you should! You can get a Cheeseburger for $2!
You are a fucking idiot. If people can afford something and want it, they get the better option. If you still want something but can only really settle for the cheaper option, you grab that. They both solve your end need.

Either get a console or do stuff with your computer that can justify it's price because using a PC as gaming machine soley is stupid waste of money since.

For PC I'd splurge on parts that do stay up to date for long like top tier PSU's (sorely underestimated, Got an 70 dollar 750 evga G2 gold PSU), cases, fans and cooling, storage (huge factor), maybe MB if you are AMD, RAM but only if you can be 100% confident that it won't switch do say DDR4. CPU and GPU I'd go bargain hunting or being used for the latter.

Except freesync barely works and when it does it's in limited scenarios and doesn't have a grasp on the full scope of the market. It's babby's first attempt at dynamic frame syncs and it's awful, just like every other first gen type of software or hardware.

It'll work eventually. But it doesn't now.

hurr durr what are diminishing returns

Attached: npc.png (512x512, 32K)

This.
We won't see 3nm- until 202x and 5-7nm will be here for a decade or more
Too early to tell if they can actually fully run their hacked together (real time raytracing) at all.
Still needs some hybrid raster bs
This is well known.
Gcn dates back to early 2010s so it's almost a decade old.
Surely they have something new in the pipeline

Because Nvidia are jews, the rtx 2080 has gtx 1080 ti performance for the same price except it came out two years later and has 3gb less vram.

Idk maybe because it's exponential.

Because only RTX cards can do real time pathtracing
brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

The RTX 2060 could be a good buy if it comes down to a decent price. 1070/1070Ti performance.

I've already saved hundreds of dollars by buying games for cheap on PC. Console gaming doesn't have anything close to steam sales and buying keys.

> PC gaymen is so stupid for cost reasons
Not even worth considering with how much more you already pay for games with crappy consoles.

Just don't go for the high end of hardware if the diminished returns don't seem worth it. Yes, it's a more luxurious luxury, you don't generally need it.

A GPU that doesn't get 1080p 60fos on high settings is pointless. Like, why are you playing on PC at that point? We play on them to escape from the 25fps, medium settings hell that is console gaming.

Any card could be a good buy at the right price. Remember when the 970 was $350 at launch? That's what the 2070 could be really worth.

>steam sales
And bundles. And games that are/were free [Doki Doki Literature Club, Subnautica, Zero-K... if you're poor, PC gaming got a lot more].

>Like, why are you playing on PC at that point?
10+ times more games with more very good games, they are cheaper, and there are more adult titles too.

High FPS on most of these is only an easily achievable thing, not necessarily the goal. Who cares if a turn-based strategy game only does 30FPS.

Because even at 1X it's already better FPS/Res wise than console.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

Original Halo CE ran on the 2001 OG (x86) Xbox fine while hardware (PC) in the mid class with better specs on paper that came out in 2003 had problems running it at even 10 FPS.

>buying games on PC
Arr.

>tfw I've got a halo 1 game copy zipped on my computer

I can't wait to see how an i5 8400 and 1060 gb handle it.

What games do you pirate from the pirate bay, my fellow pirate?

Unironically none really anymore, I only play a single MMORPG these days, when I feel like playing anything at all. Can't even remember the last thing I pirated, BF1 or Doom probably.

No it’s because of money.

If they wanted they could make a gtx 1080ti based console, and some crazy good cpu and boom console is king for a decade at least.
But nah son you gotta milk the consumer obviously. Make console with bottlenecked cpu, then make console with bottlenecked gpu. Always keep the console 5 steps behind pc. That way they keep buying

It does though, did you see that the benchmark was at 1440p instead of 1080p? Easily over 60 at 1080p, same settings.

I own 5 landed properties and my pc only costs 2k. Keep bragging.

Diminishing returns is a broadly understood economic concept not specific to computer parts.

>3 year old 1080s only just getting beat by Vegas
Vega 56 came out over a year ago and beats the non-Ti 1080 in some games, being pretty much the same, while 64 beats it. Both came out a year after the 1080.

>Bragging about your ability to purchase computer parts on a Chinese democracy activist website
Your life must be so fulfilled.

I mostly do it with CoD games. I like the single player campaigns, but you can't buy the games just for that, you see. Any sale will include around 50 bucks of DLC for multiplayer or Zombies mode. So I just skip that shit. Currently I'm on IW. It's the biggest CoD campaign in terms of scope. Fighting from Pluto to Mercury is good as fuck. But damn are these weapon designs literally just modern weapons with wires tacked on. Black Ops 2 did future weapons waaaay better.

That Sapphire card looks sexy.

>Who cares if a turn-based strategy game only does 30FPS.

It effects how long ai turns take and displaying the map especially in the late game.

Wouldn't that be on the CPU not the GPU?

AI usually makes it's decisions in an instant. The game makes it take a while to seem like the AI is "thinking" and having a hard time keeping up with the player. Lots of games, usually console rooted games, assume they will be running at a certain frame rate and so they get their grasp of time passing from counting frames. GTA Vice City originally had piracy protection that made the game start subtly glitching up after 540000 frames were counted, or about 5 hours.

It's still a thing in some modern games. The Souls and Fallout games both tie physics to the framerate. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not happening in your game.

lower the resolution, you dumb twat. and you get your extra fps for free

the 2060 is more expensive than a 1070ti used to be, if not still

>The Souls and Fallout games both tie physics to the framerate
Most consoles games do, which is why ports to the PC often have locked framerates.

You can use that rtx 2080 for more than just gaming unlike that Rx 580 which is only good for console ports.

>buy a console
But console gaymes are all shit. Triple-A gayming is absolute crap

If it was made after 2000 its shit.

Attached: Downforce optional.webm (1920x1080, 1.64M)

>muh nostalgia
There's been good games made after 2000, it's just that 98% of them weren't triple-A

980ti performing worse than a 1060? It's equal to a 1070... somethings fishy here

>Why does it cost 4X more just to barely get 2X more FPS?
because it's 2019

I was also being sarcastic - it shows the state of things and the /v/ spillover when that much isn't obvious.

There's a couple mods you'll want to download before running it as the animations run at 30fps. Rest of the game is at 60 though.

the RX 580 alone almost costs the same as the PS4 or Xbone tho

Retard, it's not like most of the indie games don't go to the consoles as well.

PC is only if you are a graphics whore and/or play strategy games.

Halo CE still has online playerbase and there are many people from south america playing it at all times.
Halo 2 too has active playerbase.

save hundreds on games, blow thousands on hardware

Plus pirating.

>benchmarked on ultra
generally looks about the same as medium, but uses like 10x the resources

This, RX 570 crushes it at 1080p

Attached: Average.png (1327x1225, 35K)

no the ps4 uses an early version of the vega processor with integrated graphics, i believe the cheap ps3 only has 320 shader units then they released the ps4.5 which is an upgraded version of vega with 1024 shader units which is basically an rx560 minus the onboard 4gb ram so even a 100 or less card beats the newer ps4.5 which actually was an amazing deal when it came out at 400 bucks but now they raised it to 600 i believe its a ripoff and the regular ps4 is slow and poopy with shitty 1.6ghz cores, even the 2.1ghz cores on the new ps4 make it kind of shitty, id rather get a ryzen 2200g or 2400g, besides who the hell buys a console anymore, just the fact that i get an OS, thats right folks and operating system already makes the experience 100 times better even if our hardware was complete shit, dont listen to the richfags id rather game on a $125-200~ computer with used parts than an outdated console that caters to stupid people who dont know how to use a computer like android and apple

pic sorta related

Attached: the lewt.png (1680x1050, 1.1M)

Thanks user.

'Diminishing returns' tells you your GPU performance won't scale with your spending. It doesn't tell you why.
The answer is: manufacturers are trying to extract from every portion of potential customers, from those less willing to buy/poor to those who are very willing to buy/rich.

Attached: 1546974468584.jpg (500x500, 49K)

>10 the resources
Just what are you talking about?

Not him but 4X MSAA already drops FPS by 25% and a lot of settings when set to "ultra" beside shadows, textures, and lighting usually just use different algos that use more resources for extra FX effects that if don't distract you are barely noticeable.

You're better off playing on 1440p on high settings with AA turned off. Resolution is more important than shitty FX you probably won't even notice.

Attached: Comb16012019101749.jpg (1260x410, 164K)

Why are you rambling? Are you drunk? user said 10x the resources. That's 1000%.

With all the extra stupid FX it does come to about that in some gaymes when comparing to medium settings. Especially goyworks sruff.

>800x600
>300 FPS any game I want

Attached: 1517387601105.jpg (443x455, 40K)

>10x more resources
Prove it with framerate.

>console gaming doesn't have anything close to steam sales
This is dated information. I'm a PC gaymer but I got the $200 PS4 Spider-Man bundle for the holidays and I've been pleasantly surprised.

>God of War $17
>Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition $10
>Last of Us $5
>Uncharted 4 $10
>Uncharted Collection $10
>Batman Arkham Knight $7
>Far Cry 4 $7
>Middle Earth Shadow of War $10
>MGS V $6

I had a spreadsheet going and IIRC I got 12 games for an average of ~$7 a piece. That's pretty fucking good. Based on this experience I'd say that console game sales are just as good (leaning towards better) than modern steam sales

>Too early to tell if they can actually fully run their hacked together (real time raytracing) at all.
>Still needs some hybrid raster bs

No the hardware is just a straight up accelerator for raytracing. I mean you still need the rest of the GPU to handle geometry processing and render out but the raytracing solver is run on the RT cores with their RTX library. You can run a full raytrace shaded game on it, see: raytraced quake 2 overhaul

youtube.com/watch?v=vrq1T93uLag

Double the hardware doesn't mean double the performance. Here are a few reasons why:
1. No workload is 100% parallel so doubling cores cannot double throughput, and furthermore there are diminishing returns. This is Amdahl's Law.
2. More cores means a larger area. Even ignoring issues like temperature and yields for one die and interconnect latency for multiple dies, the speed of light means that larger = slower.
3. When a company (in this case Nvidia) has complete control over the top end of the market then they can charge as much as they like.

I suppose 3 addresses more than just the hardware but the real point is that 2x the price != 2x the hardware != 2x the performance.

Do you know what diminishing returns is or are you retarded?

Rule of diminishing returns

Yeah because you sure experience a lot of tearing on a high-refresh monitor with Freesync off, right?

>buy budget AMD card, saved 200 over buying an actual high end card, amd or not
>three years later it barely runs anything at acceptable framerates, let alone frametimes
>fall for the same fucking thing again six years later
>finally open my asshole to the nvidia meme
>800 dollars for a top end card
it feels so hollow but at least my shit doesn't hitch every five seconds

Attached: 1427872119388.jpg (650x629, 76K)

This user knows. And now that gaymers actually fell for the RTX meme, expect the next gen to be even more expensive.

>hurr everything scales linearly im a fucking tard

Why are you blaming this on a company instead of the segment you chose? GPU history is more than the last 3 years you know. Before that AMD traded blows with Nvidia even at the highest end. But why am I replying to a bait post?

It works just fine.
What are you talking about?

Because nvidia are jews who control the high end market

>a 800 $ dollars GPU offers more performance than a 200$ one
Who would have thought...

dollars for a top end card
It's going to get rekt by a 300 dollar 7nm card

wow something that came out a year later is cheaper and faster!!!!!!! HRRRRFFFRRFRFRFRFFRRFRFFRRFRFDRFRFRFRFFRRFRFRFRFRF

Not even true for nvidia anymore lmao

From memory, not from GPU.
DX12 and Vulkan are low level API there is not much more consoles can do to hardware to make it run better.

incel cope

This. You are retraded af. If you make money with your pc, it's fine but if you just use it for gayming, kys. I bet you haven't a driver license.

I'm not buying AMD stop.

Most people play on laptops and toasters.
less than 1% of pc gamers use gpus that cost more than $500

That's like asking "why does it cost 4x more to get 1500HP instead of 700." Moron

2080 is only supposed to cost ~$500. But nVidia increase all their GPU prices by 50% this generation.

Whatever RTX model you see, if you take away ~30% you get the "ACTUAL" price of that model.

Rtx 2060

Attached: performanceperdollar_25601440.png (500x1010, 52K)