What is XMPP?

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Conversations if you are on Android, Gajim or Pidgin on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: xmpp:[email protected]?join

Attached: xmpp.png (220x226, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xmpp.org/getting-started/
github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a place full of top lads

Attached: customgui.png (1400x1111, 468K)

Oh boy

Attached: 075.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

>can't even calls, video calls, group calls, desktop share
>all desktop clients are absolute shit
>(((OP))) still shilling (((Conversations))) instead of PixArt
It's worse than Wire/Riot.im/Tox in every way.

Jabber supports video calls.

It's easy to enjoy encrypted messaging!
1. Download Conversations on f-droid
2. Make an account and check 'register with server'
>make sure it ends with @yourdata.forsale
3. That's it. Collect pic related and invite your friends and/or join the public chat which is actually way less cancerous than all of Jow Forums

It's like whatsapp but free and open source, and you can use end to end encryption with your messages.

It's still the best form of communication out there. Secure AND reliable. OP hosts his server service for free, unlike other servers that charge fees.

You don't use Skype, do you? You're not a good goy, are you?

Attached: 1546388335297.jpg (828x932, 90K)

you will be meeting all sorts of folk in here

Attached: 9community03.png (500x387, 850K)

>unlike other servers
jabber.at
Or any of the other ones here:
xmpp.org/getting-started/

>best form of communication out there.
3 better forms of communication are literally listed here It can't be "best" if it barely has any features and is only usable on android.
>Download Conversations
Stop shilling this subtle wall garden garbage.

>Conversations
I don't ever want to talk with phoneposters. Stop recommending it.
>only usable on android
Get a computer.

>Get a computer
See

>I don't ever want to communicate with anyone since noone in their right mind uses desktop messengers in 2019
fixed it for you

And how do you know for sure that they're secure? Are you able to talk to the admin 24/7? Do you know how and where it's run?
Riot spies on you and Tox doesn't work
In an age where no one owns a desktop computer anymore except for weirdos, pedos, and nerds, and everyone owns a phone, it's safe to shill conversations. If a desktop client is a necessity, use Gajim. Low ram usage, works great.

What's the matter with you people, are you all Jews who are trying to hide the glory of easy-to-use encrypted messaging?

>Riot spies on you
Matrix is basically the same as XMPP except better. You can use your own server if you want. Also miniVector exists and doesn't have tracking in the app.
>Tox doesn't work
It works fine, are you high?

I tried to video chat on tox and the screen was black and the app kept crashing

>what is xmpp?
Something that no ones uses
>who is OP?
Someone who is clueless yet won't stop shitposting

When was this? Which app? I tested Antox and qTox a week ago and everything was fine.

I used jabber when I was in goonswarm. I miss them now. Fuck work

Just moved my Prosody server over to using my PostgreSQL container rather than flat files, after moving my Pleroma instance too. Feeling good.
Turns out the Prosody version in the Debian repos doesn't support MAM properly which is shit but whatever.

Dino seems like a nice enough client. A little light on the settings side of things but it seems otherwise fine. Anyone have any opinions?

Attached: screenshot-normal.png (2014x1148, 317K)

It's shit. Can't drag-drop to send files, can't view images or videos. But at least it has working encryption ootb unlike any other client.
There are no good desktop clients, XMPP is DOA.

Works fine for images - without drag and drop, though. Couldn't get it to work with a video though :|
As far as general desktop clients go, Gajim is pretty good, but it needs configuration to enable some basically mandatory stuff.

>works fine with images
>every image is just a link you can't open "aesgcm://upload.blabber.im/..."
No. Also,
>literally removed window decorations from itself somehow and there's no way to get them back
>non-existent emoji support
It's a clusterfuck. You can't expect more from an alpha release software for a dead protocol.

Oh, the non-standard Conversations method of sharing pictures via OMEMO. There's an issue for that but we'll see if it goes anywhere.
Window decorations can be fixed with gtk3-nocsd ( github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd ) but it's a problem with gtk3 more than the program itself.
Anyway, yeah, it is in alpha so hopefully it'll improve soon enough.
XMPP is as dead as me, which is to say, not enough.

>Riot spies on you
Citation needed. For one thing, anyone can host their own instance, so it depends which instance you're talking about. Even the most popular one on riot.im doesn't do that, and only has anonymous analytics that you have to opt into (it's off by default).

Not OP but I would shill Pixart if only they didn't force close the app if you refused to give the contacts permission an approval unlike Conversations that lets you do and approve anything you want. The latter is still hot garbage regardless