Dark mode is better for the eyes

>dark mode is better for the eyes
is this just a meme?

Attached: windows-10-the-dark-mode-2.png (720x430, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.ubc.ca/labs/spin/people/harrison-jason.html
preventblindness.org/computers-and-your-eyes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

it's better if your environment is darker, otherwise not.

The point is to have very little difference between the overall brightness of the screen and the rest of the environment.

The higher the brightness difference, the bigger the strain on your eyes.

It depends on your eye.
Use YouTube on your phone with light theme for an hour and then switch to dark theme and see for yourself.

I use dark themes and still lower brightness of my screen to .2 in the evening

It's as meme as bright mode being better for the eyes. There's a 50-50 distribution between people in regards to ocular tiredness and strain either way. 50% people find dark themes soothing while the other 50% find bright themse soothing.

Attached: 1546498331724.jpg (355x410, 11K)

Source? I'm sure you've got some nice study backing you.

Gonna need a source on that Mr percentage.

Black text on white background is easier for the eye to focus apparently, but it has a dazzling effect when used in a low light environment.

>is this just a meme?
It's the biggest meme

And while dark themes on GNU/Linux have a cool cyberpunk, post-ironic aesthetic so they are forgivable in a way, the dark mode in Windows 10 and Mac OS X (or whatever it's called now) is absolutely ugly, impractical, normie-tier dog shit

>tfw light text on dark background was used because it was easier to create cathode ray hardware for it
>tfw the technology and software progressed enough to allow dark background on light background everyone switched to it because it's better in every way
>tfw now that light on dark background offers no advantage at all some 1337 kids switched to it because muh aesthetics
>tfw when now even windows and mac normies switch to it
It's awful

STOP
USING
DARK
MODE

Better for the eyes unless you're in a bright room.

It's scientifically proven that it's better. Yes.

Attached: 1511737189353.jpg (948x960, 51K)

It's good for the battery life, if your display is built on OLED tech.

It's a quick and convenient way to point out the people that can't calibrate their monitors.

it's better in my dark room for sure. particularly appreciated by basement dwellers.

You're asking a bunch of four-eyed virgins who can't see their own penis without glasses about eye health? I guarantee nobody on Jow Forums knows jack shit about optical health and every answer ITT will be anecdotal or straight bullshitting.

Yes, but I still prefer it. Come at me.

I use dark mode wherever I can, and if an application doesn't have it, I drop it unless I absolutely need to use it.
I hate bright lights.

>projection

Dark mode is made for zoomers who don't actually read anything from screen but instead just point and click on icons.

Eyes are better at reading dark text on light background than vice versa. Instead of dark mode one should calibrate their monitor and make sure the room they work in has enough ambient light.

I always liked a mixture of dark and light; like Arc-darker, adapta, Ubuntu's new yaru theme, etc.

When I am in a dark room, I switch to a fully dark theme.

I haven't tried Windows dark theme, yet, but I really hope they don't keep the yellowish folder icon colors; it doesn't fit with a dark theme. Something like blue or light grey would fit much better.

Basically, you people who have negative reactions to dark backgrounds are the "Lactose Intolerants" of the computer user community. kek

>People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

- Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia
cs.ubc.ca/labs/spin/people/harrison-jason.html

definitely better at night. I use it for the battery savings tho. Dark stuff means LEDs needing less energy.

Funny, because I'm astigmatic and I'm

Attached: 1479373244240.jpg (720x720, 42K)

maybe you have photosensitivity as well.

Absolutely rekt

Maybe I'm unironically autistic. I've always had excessively sharp senses.

This.
The less your eye work on changi g the apperture, you have a better chance of not getting shit fucked up when old.
The more you change from dark to bright, and the larger the diference of light on your field of view, you will get worst on seeing shit in the dark or in overly bright places the older you get

You are a fucking idiot.

Attached: $0.png (362x259, 156K)

You might as well call it the explorer dark theme, does fuck all to anything else, even the titlebars stay white.
Penumbra is a much better dark theme overall imo.

Attached: 1524998135866.png (984x1883, 216K)

>the only two good dark aero themes are behind a paywall
DOMNIT

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-12 hover_dark_aero_theme_for_windows_7_by_cleodesktop-dclmivj png (PNG Image, 165 (1626x2570, 627K)

nice argument there son
Here, have one for free

Attached: file.png (1047x213, 56K)

would save some power on oled not lcd

Attached: 1547833096952.jpg (326x294, 18K)

Dragoon X works for me

EWW!!
I really hope this is fake or a work-in-progress because if it's not then Microsoft have lost their minds. This looks disgusting.

No Windows 7 version.

No, it is not a meme. In the long run, it will benefit your eyes bigtime.. I've been programming for 20 years and have only had two pairs of Rx lenses in that time. Almost always code in dark UI and all my settings for everything are always dark... If I have a bright BG it literrally "hurts" my head to look at because I know it is worse for the eyes.
I also roll with most of the lights off in my house except for the bathroom and kitchen when cooking, or if I'm cleaning.
I remember when I was little my father had a programmer friend who was his software dealer that he would purchase AutoCAD and other proprietary engineering software like VersaCAD, GIS software, etc. (this was back in the early 90s, back when there were private software dealers), anyhow, the guy had like black painted walls and gargoyles on the brick gate posts in his driveway... really, really dark house with hardly any lights on... anyhow, I remember thinking it was weird that that computer guy had no lights on in his house when I visited the one time... anyhow, now I totally understand it... the gargoyles and stuff was weird but he was probably into some kinda BDSM stuff, although the lights being off and it being a dark, dark house probably had more to do with him being a programmer than anything else.

It's not fake, I do believe it is work in progress though.

Attached: 1532948816932.png (984x1311, 92K)

Dark theme for backlit displays.
Light theme for e-ink.

I hope it's WIP (it's only available in the preview build, atm, right? That gives me hope, at least!)
It currently looks really ugly, imo. The colors don't fit together at all, and it's also awful to have some apps use the light theme, others fully dark and some have a mixture of dark and light elements.
If they release it in its current state, then it would have lowered their quality standards even further and at that point, they'd be better off just throwing smelly garbage at people.

Yeah, but dark mode encourages you to turn your lights off in the house... Even more power saving.

I'm running LTSC and it's available, afaik it was introduced in the October update (1809) that deleted files and so on and they're pushing that update for everyone now so I guess it's the current "stable" build.

>encourages you to turn your lights off in the house
not when web would burn my eyes anyway

I have pretty horrible astigmatism, but I prefer dark themes all the time

Attached: la_creatura.png (640x550, 24K)

Bright IDE
>prep school
Dark IDE
>back alley

Dark themes are fucking terrible. Some shade of lighter gray background + black font is as good as you can get in terms of readability.

>always turn brightness down to 1-5% on every display
>always enable any dark theme available
>still cant see fucking shit
>mfw

To me is exactly the opposite.

At day time I can use dark themes just fine, but at night dark themes are hard to read for me, so I use light themes with one of those plugins that make your screen look orange-reddish like flux or windows 10 night mode.

You got an facts to back that up?

preventblindness.org/computers-and-your-eyes
This is the first .org I found talking on this, but it and the other results of a quick search make no mention of 'light differences'

The only take away was that if you are getting eye strain - you need to literally just look away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes to give your eyes a rest.

The main thing I do keep seeing, is mention of blue light being a cunt to your eyes, we have no idea what the long term affects are, but supposedly it could be bad.
Conveniently, dark themes are going to reduce the amount of light put out - same as shit like Flux does except not screwing with your monitors color balance while in use.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear programmers using a light theme at night have more trouble sleeping - we atleast know for sure that blue light screws your bodies circadian rhythm up.

Whoever thought massive white spaces on anything was a good idea was retarded. "Dark mode" should have been the standard.

Attached: 1512576982030.png (1000x1000, 345K)

>chrome still hasn't native dark mode
The absolute state of this shit

No. It allows higher brightness to be more comfortable for your eyes. And higher brightness allows your eyes to resolve text faster, and less strain.

For me yes, its actually worse as my eyes kind of weird out for a minute after using a dark theme for several minutes, like they have to completely readjust. Never happens with light themes.

This too.

Breeze dark.

>instead of turning the entire UI into dark theme depending on time of day and light conditions, we instead ONLY have stupid blue light filters
zzzzzzz

> One anecdote recks a study

>anime
stopped reading right there

Dark mode is less strain on your eyes, but since light themes have more light coming into your eyes, the pupils constrict and make the letters easier to read.

proof:trust me dude

so make a grey mode?

Win32 looks hideous in Dark Mode

who knows. i still like it better than light mode though

Attached: 1517147058799.png (1898x910, 234K)

he said LED, learn to read

t. brainlet

this is especially important if you had lasik like me and you have huge scotopic pupils
the treatment zone of lasik is 6.5mm in diameter, but my pupils expand to 8mm in the dark, which means i will see with the treated and untreated area at the same time, resulting in higher order aberrations (also called secondary astigmatism). this cant be fixed with glasses or soft contact lenses because those can only fix lower order aberrations. just search the web and you will find a lot of reports and information on lasik and horrible dim light vision.
before Lasik i liked to use night modes (especially on my Galaxy phone to save energy), but since Lasik i have to use Light themes everywhere because otherwise the text is too blurry to read

Black text on white background is skeuomorphism made for boomers too stupid to understand it any other way.

this is kinda like me with contact lenses, now i have to use direct2d cleartype (vista and up), xp cleartype is fuzzy (i miss xp but fuck glasses)

This only applies to OLED and microLED screens, because those are essentially millions of tiny lamps. A common LCD screen is more like a controllable filter that only lets a portion of light past. This means that the LCD backlight consumes the same amount of energy, no matter the screen's content. -LED technology will use less energy for a darker picture because only a few pixels will have to be bright.
Try being nice and explaining things for a change.

Best mode is:
>Bright the day, dark the night.
I wish everything had this.

Or grey themes, they are fine too.

Attached: vivaldi-theme-schedules-768x696.png (768x696, 140K)

vscode:

dark at home
light in the office

I need to schedule an appointment with my optometrist before my insurance gets cut so I'll ask him and report back

Attached: 1527445908300.jpg (600x481, 44K)

Two anecdotes, I also have astigmatism and my system-wide them is Arc Dark.

depends
light room - light mode
dark room - dark mode

I mean, it's pretty simple to do this on most Linux DEs. All you need to do is schedule a job to run at specific times of the day that switches the theme from light to dark and vice-versa.
You can schedule the task to check every hour.

In fact, I remember seeing a script that creates an effect similar to MacOS Mojave's wallpaper.