Got an old shitlaptop for free, it runs linux. what OS should I try, and what can I even use it for?

Got an old shitlaptop for free, it runs linux. what OS should I try, and what can I even use it for?
(only thing I did with it so far is install neofetch to see what's inside)

Attached: SAM_0365.jpg (1728x1152, 908K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

thanks Jow Forums, I guess I'll rotate 90 degrees back and forth because you can't read metadata

Attached: SAM_0365.jpg (1152x1728, 396K)

Welcome to your first day on Jow Forums. Now get off of here and install Gentoo.

Good idea, I was actually thinking about void linux since compiling everything would take quite a long time on such an old computer.

>it runs linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

nice meme you got there, don't you have something else to do? It still runs linux, you can't disagree with that.

install deepin

Attached: asian-chinese-man-holding-a-gun-in-isolated-black-background-HW9KW8.jpg (866x1390, 121K)

linuxfromscratch

Sorry, due to human and resource limit, 32-bit version has not been available since deepin 15.4

Crosscompile from your main pc

Attached: 7lWjDiH.png (610x457, 393K)

How does that work? I run Arch on my thinkpads.

Install gnetoo

Attached: 2018-12-25-003637_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.02M)

Having these old pixelated themes and modern font rendering looks so fucking dumb but I can't get fonts to look good without ridiculous amounts of smoothing

What happened to fonts looking good without smoothing

Attached: Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png (513x343, 7K)

Most truetype fonts were not designed to look good without subpixel rendering
Pretty much all old machines used bitmap fonts

I just updated everything and Iḿ browsing Jow Forums with it lol

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-19_23-04-13.png (1024x768, 262K)

Update the BIOS

Perhaps I should. It doesn't support wifi on the install iso, does it?

>It doesn't support wifi on the install iso, does it?
It does for most wifi chipsets

That might be hard given the tools available, which doesn't include a bootable usb option, only a windows application which insists on writing to a floppy drive.

The extracted files are in C:\SWsetup\something\ROM
Make a bootable usb with freedos and copy the extracted files onto it

Then what? I got the .bin but I can't do anything with that.

How nu r u

Put all 5 files onto the stick and then boot from it
If nothing launches automatically, run rompaq.exe /!

Thanks

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-20_00-03-27.png (662x460, 132K)

icewmnigger, do you have a distcc or binhost setup? I can't even imagine how long emerging @world would take on that thing.

No
It would take some days, bot nothing too ridiculous

running your CPU at 100% for days isn't "too ridiculous" for you?
Did you at least use a stronger computer to make a stage 4 for yourself or did you actually sit through and compile fucking everything on that?

>running your CPU at 100% for days isn't "too ridiculous" for you?
It's not my main machine, obviously. It runs at 50C maximum so heat also isn't an issue.
>did you actually sit through and compile fucking everything on that?
Sure, while I was using my other computers. Compilation was also done in an unused room over night

How usable is it? Like, what can I expect from an Gentoo iceWM setup on a 1.5-1.73GHz Pentium M? Jow Forums in firefox64 worked surprisingly well for example.

Unironically set it aside and mine coins. Have literally every internet connected device in my home mining coins.

>32bit
Why would you want 32bit garbage?

The best OS gnu.org

install redstar

No meltdown, spectre or NSA backdoors ;')

The biggest problem is the RAM
Absolutely incorrect. Almost every intel CPU since the pentium pro has the issues, the exception are very early atoms

My laptop has 1.5GB, should be enough I hope?

Barely, if you don't use more than 2-3 tabs and don't use any media playback in it