/wdg/ - Web Development General

Welcome Back

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wedge.png (1280x720, 652K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1337x.to/sub/47/0/
udemy.com/object-oriented-php-mvc/
css-tricks.com/
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=939&v=7kVeCqQCxlk
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@supports
jsfiddle.net/ocab6mpj/1/
codepen.io/S1eB/pen/aPegZG
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Images/Using_CSS_gradients
lowendbox.com/
musi.sh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wtf man, why did the last thread 404? is 200 ne thew bump limit?

/wdg/ just falls of the board sometimes, when no one is around for a while

weird that there's this much activity in Jow Forums

wdg is usually quite slow in the weekend since so many posters are wagies or students

>wagies
kek

what are you?

I'm an entrepreneur

Attached: 1526618965315.jpg (500x522, 53K)

I'm a developer evangelist

hi boys

has anybody here successfully tested promises tdd/bdd style in the browser?

what did you use? how did you set it up? do you have a github link?

trying to get mocha/chai/chai-as-promised to run but I feel like none of this is made for the front end.

>promises tdd/bdd style in the browser
?

test driven development

it keeps your code lean, and prevents regression bugs.

you guys know where I can find a highly customizable wordpress theme that's ACTUALLY free? no "pro" or "premium" features bullshit?

>it's a another WordPress episode

you feel better about yourself now? I'm trying to get help here. If you're gonna be an ass please don't waste my time. If you wanna help, I'm listening.
I JUST WANT A FUCKING SIMPLE WEBSITE WHERE I CAN DO THE MOST SIMPLE STUPID SHIT LIKE CHANGING FONTS AND COLORS WITHOUT HAVING TO FALL FOR SOME STUPID ASS PREMIUM VERSION CRAP WTF HAPPENED TO WORDPRESS IT WASN'T LIKE THIS JUST A COUPLE YEARS AGO.

fonts and colors can always be changed with css.

I hate tdd for front end.
I write tests for functions that do fancy things behind the scenes but e2e tests really make more sense on the front-end.

This is WDG. Not "give me free shit guys!" general. Fuck off, or learn CSS

well what do you know, Jow Forums proves once again to be little more than a pedophile hangout.
Fuck you all to hell.

When should I use flexbox over grid in CSS? So far, CSS Grid makes way easier to work with layouts

when you want to support old IE and when you want/have to use a popular framework like bootstrap or bulma

I just started using Next. What kind of retard decided mixing business logic with presentation was a good idea?
We have had the idea of MVC since the 70s. What the hell is with "getInitialProps" and why is it in the same file as my HTML?

>I hate tdd for front end.
I don't understand why there's no tooling for this.

does everybody just eyeball it? or leave testing to the client?

any good tutorial or article about css layouts? i want to know what are the best practices and stuff

>tdd for front end

just use modules, and css-in-js. thats as far as tdd goes for front end.

also helps if you start from a agnostic 'framework' like rebass. rather than mystery code bootstrap

TDD is a dead meme that has repeatedly shown to slow down development for little to no gains.

Just let the Q&A people do their jobs.

What would you pay for / do with the domain "pdf.XX", where "XX" is a two-letter ccTLD?
Assuming you got it for free and it had just been sitting empty forever. wwyd?

Attached: 1475691526974.jpg (800x800, 83K)

>I have never done anything that requires refactoring or anything of importance in my life: the post

So what are you going to do when you end up with an entire project that is of critical importance, and you just go in and start changing shit hoping it works?

>Sorry our app went down today and you lost 6 million today mr shekelberg, it won't happen again..............user, you're fired. Pack your things.

>Not doing TDD means not doing any testing at all

I have tried React, Vue, and Angular. Here's my opinion:

>Angular is the best
>I love Angular and Vue
>React is not for me
>Vue is great for small to medium projects, it's kind of Angular with less loc
>Angular is still the best

I agree.
Retards keep screaming on and on about how Angular is supposedly dead, but its architecture is dead simple and performance is above the alternatives.

Angular > Vue > React

wdg is shit...

1337x.to/sub/47/0/ pirate the paid ones

Anyone did the following course? Maybe you have encountered the same problem as I have.
udemy.com/object-oriented-php-mvc/

I had all my files and app working as expected on localhost. As soon as I uploaded it on hosting server the app only loads home index.php, one controller(pages) and nothing else. I wrote to host provider and he said that they support fully .htaccess .
The thing is, if there was something wrong with the code it would have wouldn't have worked in the first place on localhost, so I have no idea what to do.
my 3 .ht access files in pic if anyone cares.

Attached: e1.png (329x395, 15K)

redpill me on sublime

What's the servers file structure?
Is /public the configured server root?
Are you in a sub directory?
The RewriteBase is probably wrong.

>php
>apache
Absolutely disgusting.

Most all forums in the limelight manipulate/game the system in one way or another... Why do you think /dpt/ have the same posts early in every thread.

i know backend stuff php/laravel
i was thinking now to learn some front end meme
is react the hot shit now? is it a good choice?

>is react the hot shit now? is it a good choice?
no, go learn Vue (don't trust me, I just want less react developers to compete against me on the job market)

i will learn both ahahahhahah

I guess if you have elements, that don't have one specific screen area assigned to them, but rather should individually resize depending on the width/height available in the parent element.
Like some nav bar links for example.
Imo any time you have a sequence of elements, that you don't need to distribute in specific 2D areas of the screen.
Isn't Next just for easier server-side rendering? Component logic and behavior should be the exact same as a clientside SPA, just with a different structure in your code and different lifecycle hooks.
At least that was my impression from using Nuxt.
css-tricks.com/ has some good stuff

I also prefer Vue over React, though haven't really tried Angular yet. Had some issues with the setup inside Win WSL back then.
What are the primary things you like better in Angular?

>loc
what is that

I'm really not familiar with technical details.

Attached: e2.png (636x493, 35K)

lines of code

'sup /wdg/, any good books on agile stuff like SCRUM or XP?

_

Flexbox is for 1D layouts, grid is for 2D layouts, both are good, use both (unless browser compatibly is the slightest bit important to you - then don't use grid)

Grid sacrifices compatibility with IE, so you should keep that in mind. Grid is supposed to be used for layouts where elements of the layout change their position drastically in media queries (as in are not possible without grid), that's when you use grid. And, when using grid you should always design a base design (probably based on mobile layout) to fall back to if the browser doesn't accept grid. This vid knows more than I can tell you about it:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=939&v=7kVeCqQCxlk

Attached: 1547560757652.jpg (350x486, 186K)

What content management systems are worth learning in 2019?

Attached: af2.png (741x568, 29K)

>Grid sacrifices compatibility with IE
who gives a shit about IEin 2k+19?

sup

KEK lattaa bitch.

Most companies do, you know?

drupal

So...CSS Grid is fucking useless?

At some point IE will update their shit, and support Grid, by then the % share of old IE will drop and then some companies will consider using grid. Also you can code a fallback non grid style and a grid style on top of it for compatibility.

IE is not adding any new features and hasn't for years

>At some point IE will update their shit
That would be Edge.
Anyway, you can still use Grid, and if someone really uses IE, you can just test if grid is supported in CSS and if not just show them a less featured stacked version of the site.

Attached: caniusegrid.png (1269x541, 53K)

I've heard they're dropping IE for Chromium, in that case we have to wait for Chromium to take over.

>you can just test if grid is supported in CSS and if not just show them a less featured stacked version of the site.
That's really interesting, what kind of technology do you use for that? I only know of wurfl, bu that might be outdated, what does people use nowdays?

They're not dropping IE, it's Edge that's going to be based on Chromium now but they'll keep IE11 for legacy reasons

I meant this
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@supports
You can test for feature support directly within CSS and apply different styles depending on it

I see.

>developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@supports
fucking neat! thank you very much

If you're not using a framework, how do you generate HTML through JS? I see people writing HTML strings and then appending them to the DOM, but that is damn ugly, and often hard to read.
I want to write HTML partials and populate it with a templating engine, but I'm not sure it that's the best practice. Also possible bloat.

Is there any workaround to absolutely positioned elements not showing, when the parent has any hidden overflow set?

jsfiddle.net/ocab6mpj/1/
overflow-x is set to hidden, yet any absolute content above and below is hidden as well.

What's /wdg/'s preference for hosting?

hosting for what kind of thing?

A site running on Node/MySQL.

VPS then or are you looking for something more managed like Heroku?
I usually go with Vultr or Scaleway, but DigitalOcean is also good of course.

Is there a way to blend the bottom of one div background color with the top of the next?

codepen.io/S1eB/pen/aPegZG

Two gradients

I was hoping for an easier way.

Vultr for dynamic, Netlify for static.

> Isn't Next just for easier server-side rendering?
I'd assume a framework that's built around SSR would have a place to put business logic. But getInitialProps is fucking stupid

I mean, two gradients is super easy. Could even just use one depending on the look you're trying to establish. developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Images/Using_CSS_gradients
All other methods will likely result in needing to add another element to make the transition less blunt.

Been using Outsystems for 4years, low code is the new future

anyone here dotnet?

it like just werks tho

Had to use that for a client once, might be useful if they want to change small stuff on their own, but you're sacrificing a lot for it.
It's basically Wix for backend.

is it worth trying out the services on low end box or is it a gamble?

tf are you talking 'bout

From what site?

I'll give it a go thanks.

i'm looking through the promotions on lowendbox.com/

They're usually fine, but read the comments and don't go all in on recently started companies, I'd say if they've been in business for at least a year and the comments aren't complaining too much you'll survive, just keep backups.

Ah, I didn't realize that was the name of the site. I haven't used it before, but glancing at it, it seems like it could be a gamble. I would do additional research on ones that seem like a good deal and have at least a few comments attesting that it works alright.

How was this landing page made?

musi.sh/

React? Vue?

and why tf do people disable the selection of text?

Attached: 1547997389590s.jpg (250x250, 5K)

what to do when you import an library without typescript support?

Vscode doesn't even give any autocomplete suggestions in typescript files if they don't have type declarations

>import an library without typescript support
make a pull request adding typescript support

*pic related, how to get auto suggestion without writing type definitions myself

Attached: Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 19.50.45.png (946x294, 59K)

is making wordpress themes still good for a quick buck or is the market too bloated

>make a pull request adding typescript support
someone already notified the developer, and he did add support for 'react-filepond'....

but what now, should I wait til he ads it and pause the project lol?

you're 10 yrs late

what's the project about?

write it in raw JS

this , you need to wait til a new fad comes along (for example material design by google) and be the first to make a theme out of it

why the fuck are posts taking forever to show up?