From whom should I buy my domain name? I'm no programmer...

From whom should I buy my domain name? I'm no programmer, but I think it would add value to my curriculum if I had a professional website. I don't wanna buy it from Google.

Attached: virtue.jpg (1407x2337, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQIcUBd-5fk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It doesn't matter. domains are cheap and their costs inconsequential. You should be more concerned over who you use for hosting and other services.

So, who should I use? Maybe I can use a raspberry pi to host my website at home?

>professional website
>raspberry pi at home
Pick one.
Clearly you have no knowledge of how domains, DNS and websites work, you should consult a person properly versed in these topics. It would take far too much typing here to properly educate you.

go with namesilo. free whois. cheap.com's & renewal fee's.
registrars to avoid: namecheap. godaddy, 1&1

Gandi

If I had someone properly versed in this topic I wouldn't be here, would I? I just figured if I had my own domain name, and since I'm a farcry from a popular person and the website would barely have any traffic, that I could use the lowest powered piece of equipment I could think to make host the website in my own house. Yes, I'm very ignorant of websites and how web hosting in general work, but I'm now quite lost as to why this isn't feasible. Maybe it isn't recommendable and, now that I think about it, it's everything BUT safe, but not impossible is it?

Thanks.

who the fuck cares who your registrar is. Nobody is going to even look at it.

Aside from the reliability, what's wrong with running a personal website off a pi?

Brainlet detected.
As long as you're not expecting a lot of traffic, self hosting is fine.

I know I can't change the world, but I can at least not support financially companies that don't align with my values.

Good for you user, where can i subscribe to your blog?

what are you asking from us again? What companies align to your values?

Been satisfied w/ gandi.net + LetsEncrypt for free TLS cert. I use cloudflare as the nameserver.

>what's wrong with running a personal website off a pi?

Really the only problem is your IP address might change.
But there are solutions for that.

That said, just rent a VPS like a normal person.

Gandi is the best, based french. I use them as registrar and DNS, DigitalOcean for VPS

you can get free dynamic IP addressing, dunno why you pay someone else to host your low traffic website when you could host it yourself for free. Assuming you have a pi laying around.

Attached: 1531159051066.jpg (1116x124, 16K)

NearlyFreeSpeech

I use godaddy because they used to be good at some point and I have all my accounts set up there, but they've really gone to shit.

been looking at instra or marcaria recently.

>godaddy
hope you don't have any good domains with them

youtube.com/watch?v=JQIcUBd-5fk
Clean your room.

namecheap

something happen?

I have had nothing but experiences with them

?

>godaddy because they used to be good at some point

Must have been more than 10 years ago because I used to do internet marketing a decade ago and they were the absolute cancer even then.
Many domainers used them because they were slightly cheaper and saving a few dollars per year on 100.000's of domains ads up, but doing any kind of work was a nightmare.

>Living in a fairytale
Drink your Onions.