Hello /g

Hello /g
I wired my house with 6A lan components, and making my own patch cables with leftover cable and some brand new shielded RJ45 connectors.
I know they will work but, I want to test the speed of the overall system. I have two desktop computers with gigabit NICs, I know it is not optimal hardware and a lot of weight to haul around but I guess that would do for my purposes.
Now, I need a software to check the speed of the lan routes. Nothing fancy, but has to be freeware - If memory serves, long ago I used LAN Speed Test software but the server-client tool, to check speed without the use of the hard drives was for paying users.

Any really good software you can recommend? Thanks.

Attached: cat6-500mhz-utp-ethernet-lan-network-cable-7-feet-blue_NID0007978.jpg (1000x1000, 131K)

>shielded
did you ground the cable?

Yep

enjoy your antennas

Well, hope I can get sports channel for free. Anyway, some help with my question then?

why not just try moving a few linux ISOs around your network to get a feel for how fast it is. that'll be more relevant to you than a number that you're unable to verify, spat out by a piece of software you're also unable to verify.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test bs=1M count=1000 && cat /tmp/test | time nc remote.ip.address 1001

time nc -l 1001 > /tmp/test

you mean just making a simple file transfer over the net? The fact is, one desktop has SSD the other just HDDs and older models at that. I'd like to have something that takes out drives out of the question. Also, I'm using windows on both computers.

Smb has currently the highest speed transfer, as far as I know. You could test with that but I do not know if smb allows full broadband usage.

just write your own speedtest in C#. All you need to do is start a TCP server and client and send a bunch of data across (I recomment sending timestamps)

Run iperf on two machines.

no, netcat does

This would work, but why. It already exists open sauce.

>I'd like to have something that takes out drives out of the question.
maybe you're best off explaining what your use case is, and why you're interested in knowing how fast it can go.

in my example - moving files from //windowsboxA to //windowsboxB - the type of storage device in either box is irrelevant if you're finding out how fast you can move files around the cabling. unless you're actually asking whether upgrading to a SSD will decrease your file transfer times?

>maybe you're best off explaining what your use case is
Maybe how about testing if the cabling is actually in full working order and free of interference?

You don't test your DIY stuff after you complete?

I'm also interested in this.

fair enough. but it still means the type of storage doesn't matter!

download linux.iso, and move it from //boxA to //boxB. the Windows file transfer window will show you the transfer speed, with a speed/time graph. if you're curious, try it the other way around - from box B to box A - to see if there's any genuine difference between HDD->SSD and SSD->SSD network transfers.

Just look into iperf, it does exactly what you want.

Ping?

Pong!

Request timed out, 100% package loss.

OP here,
basically i want to check if my DIY cables and stuff is done correctly.
For example, using just file transfer I found a couple of wall jacks that had some wires shorted and bam, 100mbps in a tehoretical 10gbps net.
So yes I am looking to test the performance of the net just to be sure I did everything correctly.

The home network would connect TVs, NAS, utility PC, and my main desktop so I want to be sure that that the "infrastructure" is done right. Just that.

This. iperf, jperf.

speedtest.net idiot

you already have the answer,
ipref's the tool for this purpose, that's what it's for. It runs on any OS/device.

Too bad you don't have a laptop, dragging a desktop computer to each of the connectors you'd like to test sounds like a pain.

>proposing using speedtest to test LAN route
>calling others idiots because they don't think that's a solution to the problem at hand
really?

connect to internet then whats the problem ?

Ok I'll try Iperf then. I have a laptop but it is a small one without LAN port. Pic related. Me right now shitposting.

I want to check the LAN performance, Internet is still out of the equation.

Attached: laplel.jpg (1328x747, 141K)

knock that cup over

Post pape

whats a pape

Wallpaper man

lol it is just a picture not a WP but there you go

Attached: so big isnt it.png (500x722, 107K)

Thanks senpai

>without LAN port.

This is the future we chose.
I'm guessing a USB LAN adapter would be too slow (bottle-necked by the USB interface)? - I would buy one anyways if only for troubleshooting network issues.

This is the most autistic fucking writing style I've ever seen. You don't even have any confidence in your ability to make and connect a CAT6 cable what the fuck is wrong with you?

Attached: 1536514523629.png (434x245, 189K)

2x netio

Don't know about the writing style user but trust me you can be confident as you want but actual test and verify of everything you make is crucial. I did work as an electrician and trust me, you always test even a fucking lightbulb with a switch everytime. You don't take a job as "done" if you don't actually do a test run. Basic rules of any work actually.

Just a question, iperf search directs me to a .fr website.
Is that the right source? cannot even reach it anyway.

Thanks.

Attached: comfystation.jpg (4128x3096, 2.21M)

yes that's the one you want desu