Take the Blue PIll

Have you taken the blue pill yet, user?

Attached: bluepill.jpg (225x225, 9K)

bump

Attached: 1547207262384.jpg (960x720, 61K)

I've been thinking about making my own calculator with one.

No, my dick works fine.

Attached: 02c844f7-1e14-4b32-95d6-bed5177ca921.jpg (361x361, 28K)

I was just thinking about this

Were you also thinking about any of the following?
>mike meyers
>reverse polish notation
>luke smith
>the zx spectrum?

It's basically a Arduino nano clone ?

Looks like it

I fucking love my Arduino Nanos. Picked up 6 of them for only $1.69 each. Doing little embedded programming projects made me love programming again.
My still work in progress project with one is a PS/2 to RS232 serial mouse adapter. This lets me use a modern PS/2 laser mouse on old 8086-486 PCs since when things started to switch away from ball mice, manufacturers stopped including the RS232 mouse protocols on their firmware, so a simple dumb adapter does not work unless the mouse was made in the early 90s.
If you've got an idea for a project that can fit in 64k of RAM and needs no more then 18 data pins and 1 interrupt pin (Not documented on the Nano, but it can do it) then they're nice and dirt fucking cheap.

No really, it has a different microcontroller (ARM based, not AVR). Its more powerful, but works only with 3.3V logic. You can put there an Arduino bootloader to make it Arduino compatible tho

Interesting. If it's not ATmega328P do you know what chip is on that board or the board's name?
I wanted something with a little more kick but in the same size profile to see if I could fuck around with some VGA signal processing.

It's a Cortex-M3, similar to Arduino Due but from a different manufacturer and with less pins. You can use it with Arduino IDE, but I'm not sure about the API support.

Personally I prefer similar Cortex-M0 boards and Keil.

STM32F1

Probably an ARM cortex m4. Not him but since it's an ARM microcontroller that would be my guess

>STM32F1
Thanks user

Attached: 1474575750544.jpg (1000x1000, 81K)

Yeah, Nanos are small and very cheap so they're great for integrating into projects. I made one into a very simple ambient light sensor so that I can have all my monitors switch to different brightness profiles automatically.

Can I /mkb/ with this?

Yes, yes you can.

>but I'm not sure about the API support
I played a little with Due, another ARM board.
ARM based Arduinos are, lets say, 90% compatible with Arduino libraries. Some of them contain special AVR hacks and they simply do not compile under ARM uArch

There's a bunch of different chink boards like this with STM32F0 and STM32F1 processors. They're quite a bit faster than Atmega due to being 32-bit and have more hardware features like DAC and DMA, but you have to use big boy IDEs like Atollic or Keil and the API is significantly less user-friendly than Arduino.
Also unlike Arduino, the USB socket on most of these is only for power, so you'll need a SWD debugger (and a USB to TTL serial adapter if you want console output) - though those are like $2 a piece on Ali, and you get actual debugging, not just program loading.

>VGA signal processing
I'm not sure if they have enough power for video signals, they aren't ancient 8-bit stuff but they're still not DSPs.

Attached: DSC_0071.jpg (1200x1234, 365K)

It's quite a powerful MC, but ARM architecture itself is pretty crappy. I'm currently using these, but waiting eagerly for RISC-V to finally hit the microcontroller market.

How did you find them so cheap?

>if I could fuck around with some VGA signal processing.
You have to deal with a FPGA then, at least for the "processing" part.

Not him, but check on aliexpress.
Blue Nano's are crappy, but they works quite well. If you want something a little better engineered check a chink called robotdyn

The difference is that Due is an official Arduino board while these aren't, and despite the CPU core being the same, the peripheral registers are all different. Since ST are being turbo dicks about including their peripheral libraries in open sores software, I'm not sure what is and isn't there.

Anyway, if you're using STM32, then it's probably time to switch to a more professional IDE. Atollic is now free; the API is complex takes a lot of getting used to, especially if you come from Arduino (like, the replacement for pinMode needs like 10 parameters now), but it's significantly more flexible.

Arduino Nano clones are dirt cheap on aliexpress.

when did hiro implemented a suggestions bot?

Tfw u wrote a basic blinker program for a cortex m4 in assembly and it took 3 weeks.

That sounds like a waste of time.

Thanks, just bought some for $2 each.

my life has no value

You could've done something more useful to put it on your resume.

>I'm not sure if they have enough power for video signals, they aren't ancient 8-bit stuff but they're still not DSPs.
You'd be surprised how little is needed to produce a VGA signal. It can be done on a Arduino Nano even.

>tfw whitepilled

Attached: 1524739109436.jpg (600x600, 189K)

Well if you just want to generate CGA level graphics, sure. I assumed you wanted to process analog input at relatively modern resolutions.

Na, just looking to hit 640x480 at the very most, probably stay in the 320x200/160x120 CGA/EGA area if I'm stuck with a Nano though.
Figured it would be a fun way to learn more about signal processing/generation since I've got a CRT monitor laying out to do it with and its a topic I'm interested in. Have no real practical idea for application, just self education.
That said, I would love to make something like a framemizer eventually, but that would require much much more hardware+knowledge.

I did, and I love it. Way cheaper than their AVR counterparts whilst being a lot more powerful.

ST libraries for those are really fine (although their HAL is a bit of a mess). I've been using the stm32f103 with mbed on top of it and it's literally heaven.
I also use sublime + clang + make + openocd because I dislike using bloated IDEs.

this

Attached: ESP8266-OLED-preflashed-development-board-Screen-0-96-inch-OLED-version-ESP8266-18650-0-96-inch.jpg (1000x1000, 121K)

I'm not sure a STM32F0/F1 can operate GPIOs at 18+ Mhz, but you can try some hacking with FSMC on F1.

*ahem*

Attached: ESP8266 NodeMcu.jpg (522x255, 39K)

>uses mbed cloud bullshit
>I dislike using bloated IDEs.

Uh what

Thats a good point, I'll do some followup research on that before purchasing.
Thanks user.

Anything fun ideas to do with and Arduino? I have one but don't really have any good idea, just thought about making a timer for rest between sets, but that seems a bit boring, or perhaps some kind of climate control for a plant. Haven't gotten my ass around to do anything yet though.