I'm going to start installing gentoo linux today

wish me luck

isn't it supposed to be Gentoo GNU/Linux?

Attached: Gentoo.png (666x800, 119K)

i wanted to do that some day, but i hated waiting for software to compile so i just installed fedora in the end

>isn't it supposed to be Gentoo GNU/Linux?
No, because you can run it without GNU's userland and also it's just "Gentoo" not "Gentoo Linux" since you can run it without the Linux kernel as well.

>install gentoo in a vm
>giggle every time the handbook says "install gentoo"
>almost done, time to install grub
>grub can't find linux image
>reboot because yolo
>vm is unbootable as expected
>realize I forgot to "make install" before falling asleep

install gentoo is not a meme

>wish me luck
Sure.

>i wanted to do that some day, but i hated waiting for software to compile so i just installed fedora in the end
Put it in a VM or install Sabayon / CloverOS instead and then just use Portage if you only want to get a basic grasp of what it does.

OTOH if you got a modern desktop computer CPU (even less than what the constant gaymen PC build threads suggest for CPU and RAM and storage alone), it actually does NOT take very long to compile most software.

Time to configure the kernel oh boy

Attached: SAM_0373.jpg (1728x1152, 921K)

Wow I haven't seen that shit since like, the late 90s.

Use genkernel it basically generates a .config file according to your device

Are you serious?
I thought it generates a generic kernel not a customized kernel according to your device

It generates a generic kernel and gives you the option to enable and disable whatever you might need that is not included in the generic configuration. For example: ZFS,LUKS/LVM,EFISTUB etc.

genkernel: command not found
yes I used emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel
yes I'm in chroot

fixed with etc-update, genkernel is now properly installing.

And done, time to compile that kernel.

>isn't it supposed to be Gentoo GNU/Linux?
No, only faggots and Stallman call it that.

Good luck

>genkernel
reeeeeeee normies get off my gee

Installing gentoo has been fun so far

hey user, how familiar you are with portage USE FLAGS?

Not.
Also stuck in my attempt to install wpa_supplicant, it's asking for keyword changes and I can't seem to fix it using etc-update.
How do I proceed?

I think I fixed it.

actually both of those seem really nice and straightforward. i have laptop with an i5-4200h and when i was at the end of the install and i wanted to install wpa_supplicant and it started compiling like 70 packages, and it wasn't done in half an hour, i said nah fuck it let's use another distro. i installed fedora and configured it in the weekend and it's pretty comfy., but i'll check out cloveros next time i reinstall my system

Nope I didn't now it's whining about other shit. I think I should call it a day, it's 1AM.

can't fucking install wpa_supplicant

pros use custom initramfs embedded into the kernel, not that hard really

goodnight boys