Whenever I see custom built machines they usually have just 1-2 hds and a single graphics card...

Whenever I see custom built machines they usually have just 1-2 hds and a single graphics card, while the rest of the pcie lanes go unused. Why don't more people just use matx motherboards?

Attached: micro-ATX-mini-ITX-ATX-dimensions.png (823x461, 171K)

They cost more and typically require a larger case to accommodate it, which typically also costs more. I I don't need anything else than my one pcie lane for my card, so why would I buy an matx board?

Motherboard XX-FXX-TURBO-II : $200
Motherboard XX-FXX-TURBO-II-uATX: $220

>custom built machines they usually have just 1-2 hds
I assume you mean HDD

Attached: hdd.png (1476x506, 507K)

Wh-what? Huh? Are you retarded? Am I retarded? What the fuck?

Most just buy a standard size case that can accept standard, mini or micro atx.
Space isn't really at a premium for normal build so they just buy whatever is cheaper for what they need. even if slots are unused.

There are very few high-end mATX motherboards. For AM4 even ITX has better pickings.

Motherboard makers do not make as many M-ATX boards and they rarely go on sale compared to full sized ATX boards at the shops near me. Probably has more to do with visibility in the market, but I agree they are best choice for a significant portion of builds, especially gaming PCs

because mATX is crap

better question, why isn't matx cheaper?

It's not about the PCIe lanes, it's about the number of SATA ports.
/thread

Attached: 1519981141904.jpg (1500x1500, 391K)

Real Answer

It's their first time building and they don't realize they don't need a standard ATX size case/parts. This also locks the builder in this form factor because if they want to downsize they have to replace at least the mobo and case, but probably also the psu, cpu cooler, or graphics card. ATX is also the easiest of those 3 form factors to build in and requires no thought to build as far as compatibility.

As far as matx, it's the least popular form factor of those 3. Most people are either building for their first time and just go atx, or want to go as small as possible while still being able to use a gpu so they go itx.

he is trying to tell you mitx is cheaper, kek

Sorry I'm sort of new to this.

The price difference is zero, yet standard ATX allows room for expansion while mATX does not.

Attached: 1532435037168.jpg (4134x2945, 3.11M)

This has been a permanent questioning of mine, most machines don't have more than a GPU and they rarelly need more than 6 sata.

When I bought a P45 mobo in 2008 I knew that mATX was enough for me and fortunatelly at the time pricing and positioning of mATX made sence. It have not been the case ever since and it sux hard. I came very close to building a new Ryzen based rig this past holliday but I jsut could not bring myself to buy into a full size mobo just for decent VRM and common features like front USB3.1 output.

This 2.4 inches of height could easily be put to better use and empty space just does not make sense when glass-sided cases are so popular.

Intels only have 16 pcie. Ryzen got 20 but 16 are for gpu.

No, he meant hds. Two(2) fhd monitor is 2 hds. One (1) 4K monitor is 4hds. And so on and so on and so on.

>Why don't more people just use ITX motherboards?
FTFY

>SATA ports
get with the times, everyone uses m.2 now

Is he right? Do smaller mobos have less PCIe lanes?

mass production makes things cheap.
so in short whatever is the most popular is the most produced.

Same reason standard clothing sizes are cheap and non standard clothing sizes expensive.
I bet midgets pay a premium for clothing with less material, same reason.

mATX used to be popular because getting a high end mITX board was nearly impossible. But now, why bother? Buying mATX implies you're either after the smaller footprint or more PCIe slots, so just get mITX or full ATX.

>I bet midgets pay a premium for clothing with less material, same reason.

I think midgets should be allowed to be nude.

I built a mATX and filled every slot, but still needed more space. I ran out of USB3 headers too. So I built ATX on the next one.

Smaller boards obviously have less ports. But lanes are dictated by the CPU and chipset.

B350/B450-based boards are a good example, they all have insane limitations (like using an M.2 SSD causing multiple SATA ports to be disabled).

but moooom