youtube-dl -o - -f best URL | ffplay -i -
# or even better, now you can rewind/fast-forward
youtube-dl -o /tmp/shit -f best &
ffplay /tmp/shit
# it's that easy

>muh subtitles
ffplay -vf subtitles=subs.srt movie.mp4

>muh 5.1 to stereo decoding
ffplay movie.mp4 -af "pan=stereo|FL < 1.0*FL + 0.707*FC + 0.707*BL|FR < 1.0*FR + 0.707*FC + 0.707*BR"

There, couldn't be simpler!

A lot of software is abandoned for modern shiny bloatware because people are too lazy to master it and understand its true power.
POSIX make, for example: nullprogram.com/blog/2016/04/30/
So if you were not aware of these ffplay powers and were using mpv instead because of that, you're welcome, you can get rid of mpv, because it literally depends on ffmpeg and like 90% ffmpeg packages ship with ffplay so mpv is 100% bloat.

Attached: 2019-01-21-021459_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 38K)

mpv is for brainlets who can't figure out ffplay

I unironically took a liking to ffplay (especially as a music player). It sure as hell doesn't replace mpv completely, but I'm at a point where I often just want to open and play my media. Nothing else.

>youtube-dl -o - -f best URL | ffplay -i -
>-f best
That's why I still rather use mpv for YT videos. You can't play bestvideo+bestaudio as youtube-dl first downloads the streams separately and then muxes them together in a container via ffmpeg. This makes it impossible to stream 4K footage. And no, first downloading the video and then playing it is not the same as streaming.

Attached: ffplay.png (1770x726, 400K)

whats the point? to get the url you already have to use a browser. why would i want to add more steps to watch a video when my browser is already at youtube anyway?

I've integrated it into links text browser

>he doesn't have a terminal that supports video play

It allows me to cache the entire video and to stream only the audio.

a text browser, where you can't see video previews, and are deciding what to watch based completely on description alone? you are going backwards in terms of technology. why?

ffmpeg software is horribly written and I'd honestly be afraid of a code execution vulnerability if using this.

because I dream that one day I will be able to create my own OS on dedicated hardware that will be somewhat usable, so I need to reduce the complexity of all the software I use as much as I can to make this task less impossible

also you waste less time, if you go to youtube with a text browser, you watch the video you wanted to watch and then it's over
if you go with a graphical browser you end up wasting the rest of your day

fair enough, understandable

yea ffmpeg recently had some vulnerability disclosed

>if you go with a graphical browser you end up wasting the rest of your day
Not really. Unless you have an account the recommendations are such generic clickbait that you're not tempted to explore further.

there are vulnerabilities disclosed for ffmpeg weekly.

>to get the url you already have to use a browser
oh user

Attached: 2019-01-17-1547769360.png (880x748, 101K)

its called google chrome

Interdasting, can it do framebuffer?

is SDL le minimal?

>Create software to do things for you
>Deliberately make things more complicated for yourself
Maximum autism.

Attached: 043AD49A14B542C6A8A4D35C4AC41D7F.png (600x600, 121K)

In qutebrowser it's actually easy as crap to simply spawn it in another window. one key once you bind it.

mpv is ffplay wrapper if you didn't know

>as youtube-dl first downloads the streams
-g

read the manual

posix make ia abaondones because it's useless trash

youtube-dl is also a pile of spaghetti

This is absolutely fucking retarded, we created interfaces for a reason.

>This makes it impossible to stream 4K footage.
Just use mpv you nerd, it streams 4K footage from youtube using youtube-dl just fine.

>-g, --get-url
>Simulate, quiet but print URL
How is this exactly going to help?

Next time read the entire post.

>suckless
stopped right there. the recommended suckless alternatives listed on their website are shit and you should feel bad.

>we created interfaces for reason
>BLA BLA BLA
REKT, still no real GUI in MPV...

But mpv has a GUI

It's not that terrible since hanno started fuzzing it

>that thing that automates shit and makes your life easier? Its bloat. Just do everything yourself lol!

this is the Jow Forums autist mindset. When you have too much time on your hands you start to complicate the simplest of things.

tell me why its better than mpv or vlc and ill try it out

It uses half the CPU power.

so it supports VAAPI right?

mpv is a glorified ffmpeg wrapper, so ffplay won't be any more performant than mpv.

>what is mpsyt

mpv compiles against libav so ni it’s not just a ffmpeg wrapper

only retards try to build mpv against libav. mpv officially depends on the lastest ffmpeg release.

Okay where's the GUI?

You can't make your own OS. It's literally impossible, it would take you more than several dozen lifetimes to match current OSs.
Even if you gathered several dozen elite programmers to work for free, it would take you decades and you'd run over the same potholes as devs before you.
You're not running minimalist in terms of complexity but minimalist in terms of functionality. ffmpeg is still horribly written so you're still running bloat.

ffplay doesn't support gpu rendering
>i-i-i don't need gpu rendering
you are just a poorfag using integrated graphics

>CISC
Fuck off, CIAnigger.