IT'S HAPPENING!! MICROKERNELS!!!

The Genode dev team is going strong, and will be focusing on making it more usable outside of its niche.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Genode-2019-Roadmap-Sculpt-OS
Sculpt OS runs on a microkernel, with one of the options being the ultra-secure "unhackable" SeL4.

On the other side of things, Google Fuchsia's goal is confirmed as being a universal OS to run on all consumer devices and to replace the usecases of both Android and ChromeOS. This system also runs off a microkernel, which is called Zircon and was forked from littlekernel. Its graphics use Vulkan.
techradar.com/news/google-fuchsia

Discuss

Attached: unhackablefuckingkernel.jpg (982x552, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
gnu.org/software/hurd/community/gsoc/project_ideas/driver_glue_code.html
darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the problem of software security is undecidable

SELinux is an NSA backdoor

So's pointer aliasing, but that never stopped compiler writers from semideciding it

>what is QNX Neutrino
>what is BB10
>why did you guys let it die while making threads after threads of BotnetOS, iPajeet, Winshit mobile, Sailfish, etc.
I wish humanity would just burn desu.

the only microkernel i care about is the Hurd

>hurd
>microkernel

Get a load of this retard.

>Google Fuchsia's goal is confirmed as being a universal OS to run on all consumer devices
Fuck this gay Earth.

Attached: 1547390231381.jpg (456x810, 34K)

Good thing neither of these projects use it

Hurd is dead.

>i don't have any argument so ill just send this ebin picture xDD thatll showem

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

This, and I've used Genode.

>wikipedia says it's a microkernel so it is!

Do you even know what a microkernel is?
Hurd internally uses a GNU implementation of the Mach kernel, yeah, surely a fucking "microkernel" using internally a hybrid kernel becomes a microkernel.

Mach has the graphics drivers, network stack, file system and god knows what else running in kernel mode, hence it's not a real microkernel, but an hybrid kernel. That's probably why the project is dead, everyone stopped contributing to a real microkernel instead, thanks fucking RMS.

>Mach has the graphics drivers, network stack, file system and god knows what else running in kernel mode
Holy fuck you cannot be serious. You're aware you're talking about Mach 2.0, which MacOS uses, and Hurd uses Mach 3.0, which is a true microkernel?

gnu.org/software/hurd/community/gsoc/project_ideas/driver_glue_code.html

>The Hurd presently uses hardware drivers implemented in the microkernel GNU Mach

That page is outdated. All the drivers I'm aware of have been moved to DDE or Rump. In fact, DDE itself has been deprecated in favor of Rump kernels. Hurd relatively recently got a LWIP userspace network stack and libstore was modified to work with userspace servers.

Also a userspace PCIe server.

Isn't this what Jow Forums said the future of kernels was going to be years ago?

So where's linux going to end up? Do they start from scratch with their own microkernel?

Hurd is a GNU/Linux compatible microkernel and it already exists. if anyone cared about microkernels they would just dump development into that.

>outdated
>february 2017
>last hurd release was december 2016

ok

The entire fucking website is outdated, you retard. Go to darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/ instead.

>update a page to keep it outdated

This page is truly a metaphor for the whole Hurd project, huh.