So I know you're supposed to post "tech support" threads outside of Jow Forums but I find this issue so strange that I...

So I know you're supposed to post "tech support" threads outside of Jow Forums but I find this issue so strange that I thought it would be better suited here.

So here's how it all started:
>have windows 10 pro
>playing competitive game with friend
>game keeps crashing
>re-run game
>screen goes black
>think game crashed again
>whole computer crashed
>restart
>internet isn't working (i use a wireless connection with a linksys usb adapter)
>internet is working on every other device
>restart computer a couple times to see if it gets rid of problem
>makes problem worse (get "winload.efi is missing or has errors" error when i try to boot)
>fix error by repairing mbr through win10 boot disk
>computer boots up again
>internet problem still there
>try using built-in troubleshooter
>says "your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding"
>think adapter's fucked (it's ancient)
>try it in laptop
>works perfectly fine

I've never seen such a strange sequence of errors like this before. What could be causing this? I just want to get back online on my main PC.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgtto.com.jpg (560x407, 27K)

format. maybe have a virus that's corrupting drivers / could have bad hard drive.

>What could be causing this?
Windows.

Also, here are some things I've tried:
>tried linksys adapter in three different USB ports
>reset network settings on PC
>ipconfig /renew and pretty much any other variation of the command
>disabling/re-enabling the adapter

>have Windows
Found your problem. Install GNU as soon as possible.

try reinstalling adapter drivers?

According to CrystalDiskInfo, the disk is in good condition (don't know if that really counts for anything). My copy of Windows is on an SSD. I doubt I have malware on my PC, let alone malware that would corrupt drivers, I'm pretty cautious about my browsing habits on that computer.

Yeah, I've been delving into Linux lately, and I've been enjoying using it on my laptop from time to time, but for my main PC, I want to stick with Windows right now just because it's what I'm used to and it supports all the applications I need.

This is my guess. Considering it said a file was missing I'd say you have corruption occuring somewhere.

I'm going to try this now. I usually rely on Windows "Plug n' Play" to get the job done for me, but I'm in the process of currently getting the official drivers. I'll keep you updated.

>Linux
Isn't that a kernel?

So I just tried to reinstall the drivers, and this didn't fix anything. Furthermore, I tried to run the built-in diagnostic tool that the driver setup offers, but it said it couldn't detect the adapter... it's possible that could be because the adapter's 2007 era or potentially even older, but strange nonetheless.

Call microsoft tech support

Oh also, I should mention that the adapter is able to establish a limited connection to my router, and even sometimes thinks that it's connected to the Internet (displays full bars in my taskbar with no warning sign) but doesn't let me connect.

Go into your network console. Disable and re-enable your wireless adapter. Post results.

Update, I booted to Tails OS on the computer and it let me connect to the Internet. Looks like it's a Windows problem (naturally).

Inb4 this is really just a complex Jow Forums "Loonix rulez" thread.

Nope.

Attached: Snapchat-321725958.jpg (1384x2688, 798K)

>use linux
>stop wasting time on vidyas

i usually don't play vidya unless my friends are around, and when i play alone i play on my ps4. and again, i can't use linux, i use a lot of windows exclusive applications and code primarily in C# so i need my desktop to be a windows workstation.

Use mono

Yes, OP must be running a GNU OS, wonder why he mentioned the kernel specifically

>(i use a wireless connection with a linksys usb adapter)
fucking why

just seems like a lot of hoops when i can just use windows and have it be fairly reliable. this is the first issue i've had with the machine in a long, long time. it's probably my fault anyway because i haven't cleaned the computer at all in a long time and the file system is a fucking mess.

it gets the job done surprisingly well and i'm too lazy to hook up an ethernet cable.

I'd have backed up the info on an external/second drive and just reinstalled the OS using the latest iso available on the site. But it's ujst me being a bit impatient

yeah i was thinking about that, and honestly, it's not the worst choice. i just have a lot of activated products on my computer, and don't want to risk losing the activations on them. also don't really want to wait for the entirety of my ssd to backup to my external hdd, read/write times on that fucker are pretty slow. would just rather fix the issue if possible.

WTF OP?