>no auditory feedback about activity with SSDs

I guess no one here has a problem with that

Attached: hdd.jpg (1500x1500, 170K)

I wish it would be possible to create front panel activity LEDs into PC case

also, Microsofts spies are very delighted that users simply dont know when the drives are accessed without reason, as they make no sound

Attached: paristoteles.jpg (600x415, 44K)

> what are pc case LEDs that indicate drive activity? i iz retarded
> what is task manager? hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
dribbling retards like you need to be fucking gassed.

Good riddance.
HDDs were too noisy.

nobody has a problem with it, dickhead.

No because we're not autistic

My 6+ year old 256GB Crucial SSD just died on me all of a sudden while playing a videogame.

I can't access the drive on Windows/Linux at all, I see it at /dev/sdb, but, if I try to view its partitions with cfdisk I get a 'not found' error, windows shows it as 'uninitialized', if I attempt to initialize it, it shows a 'device is not ready' error.

What are my options if I want to recover the data? Can I swap the logic chip with an identical one? I was able to recover the data from a regular HDD with this method, don't know if I can do the same with SSD's.

Swap the SATA controller
If that doesn't work you better have fifteen grand for forensics.

>I wish it would be possible to create front panel activity LEDs into PC case
Uh . . . what?

>what is sarcasm

That solves NOTHING, you can't hear LEDs.
> be blind
> be told LEDs are a solution
why are you so cruel user?

The obvious solution is to record an old HDD while running a random IO load test on it with bonie++ and then you attach big speakers to your system and make a script which looks at the nr_writeback value in /proc/vmstat and plays the recording if it's above a given limit.

>safely goes into read-only mode

An air horn would be a better solution.

Strangely, this SSD didn't go into read only mode, maybe something nasty went down before it failed? My game was crashing constantly so I verified the game's files using steam, it found corrupted files and fixed them, I performed a reboot, and the drive was gone forever.

So I just need to find an identical drive and swap it out, right? Is the SATA controller usually soldered or can it be swapped easily like HDDs?

The data in it isn't that important because I didn't have any work related stuff on it, but I would like to recover my personal files, thought.

>playing vidyagaymes
if I were your SSD I too would kill myself
deserved

>but I would like to recover my personal files
You can just get those from your HDD backup, right user?

hownu.ru

The sad reality is that almost no SSDs go into read-only mode when flash wears out. Although in your case the flash probably just failed.

And no, you generally cannot recover data from a failed SSD. Make backups next time.

>Listening to the click click click of a failing drive and not having the money to replace it.

I remember a few times where I diagnosed an issue by ear and amazed my coworkers. Still, would never go back from an SSD, they are to fast man

restore from backup and toss that piece of shit into the trash.

You use an advanced computing device to play games. I really doubt there is anything of value on it.

Oddly my ssd in my Dell at work (micro tower) makes some electronic noise when active. I have yet to diagnose it but I suspect it has to do with the internal speaker.

this

maybe someone will write an addon that makes petrol-head engine revving sounds whenever the ssd is accessed.

Only Intel ones do. SSD astroturfers forget about that