Is it still necessary to undervolt a Vega 64?

Is it still necessary to undervolt a Vega 64?

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9VL0MvNzAwOTMyL29yaWdpbmFsL0FNRC1SWC1WZWdhLTY0LUlTTy5qcGc=.jpg (755x501, 53K)

Yes.

Yes unless you want an inefficient housefire

Are Wattman's Auto Undervolting settings sufficient, or is it better to do so through the old method?

first off: Yes, undervolt is necessary
second: Vega56 is a better buy

Not in winter

It will never not be necessary. Driver updates aren't going to change something like that.

Wattman is totally fine or if you prefer MSI Afterburner that works too.

Undervolting and raising the power limit lets the GPU consume more power ironically and maintain boost far longer.

For some reason used Vega 64's are a good €100 more expensive than Vega 56's. Why is that? There's no way that's justified with performance right?

How does that work though? I thought I saw somewhere that higher power limits increases temps, so when I undervolt I always keep the power limit at stock. Should I keep it maxed out? What would happen if I set it to its lowest?

How does one company manage to produce both the most power efficient CPUs and the most housefire niggawatt GPUs?

Higher yields. Binning vega at higher voltages = less dead chips + more $$$. Half of VEGA 64s work just fine at 100-200mV boost clock UV BUT if AMD pre-UV'd them they'd have to scrap half the cards.

For some reason AMD overvolts their GPU's a retarded amount. I am currently undervolting my RX580 about 140mV and it's completely stable. Decreased my temps by quite a bit too.

Adding to this: that's why nvidia cards cost more, more are crucified in the binning process to allow for very high perf/watt.

Not necessary, but it's stupid not to do it.
Large power savings along with a nice performance boost.

Funny thing is, after spending an hour undervolting, Vega is more efficient than Pascal

No performance loss? But you've gotta be lucky with undervolting though, right? Because they overvolt every card from the factory just to be safe?

Nope, no performance loss. They overvolt everything from the factory like said. You can usually get away with at least -100mV but it depends. I got really lucky because my RX580 8GB is an MSI Armor OC card and the cooler on it sucks massive ass. I even started out with -150mV but it would sometimes crash after long sessions. Too bad it's an Armor card because I could also overclock it a fair bit on stock voltages and even overvolt it for an even higher OC but it wouldn't even last 10 seconds in a benchmark because it would throttle upon reaching 80 degress celcius. It I had a Sapphire Nitro+ shit would be very different.

No because no one is stupid enough to buy one

do not buy vega cards my monthly electricity bill went up 50 dollars after I bought a vega 56

Isn't there a chance you'll get hynix memory with vega 56? As far as i know you always get samsung with v64, which can supposedly reach higher speeds.

Only references are guaranteed Samsung.

>200W * 4 * 20 = 16kW or ~ $2.56
>300W * 4 * 20 = 24kW or ~$3.84
Nah, you're just fucking stupid.

>inb4 admitting you're a lowlife neet who spends 20 hours glued to a screen playing gook games

to sell as most 'working' cards as possible at a given voltage, brainlet.

Vega is power starved. Undervolting it lets it push more amps with the power limit turned up. Yes this increases temps but not to unmanageable levels.

They're only $40 more in the US

Very old compute based architecture. It has a lot of things that are totally unnecessary for gaming that all eat power. AMD will be splitting there compute and gaymen architectures next gen.