Tl;dr Cybersecurity club has a FB group requiring school email

Can I rant about how dumb, ironic, and hypocritical it is for the cybersecurity career club at my institution to not only have a Facebook group but one of those university ones where you have to allow FB to data mine you even further to join it? If you don't know what a university FB group is, FB created these "community groups" for universities where people can create groups within the overall university group. The catch is you have to give FB your school .edu email in order to join the university group. The cybersecurity career club created one of these internal FB groups and can't seem to comprehend or are aware of any of the cybersecurity concerns when it comes to FB. Is it mean to say the club is run by ditzy girls who care more about sports? You're sure as hell not going to get any cybersecurity talent on FB. You'd get some decent talent on something like Jow Forums or Discord, but they probably never heard of either of those. Really the best are the ones who find those .onion imageboards on Tor.

Attached: tor.jpg (1141x700, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

security != privacy

Privacy is a subset of security.

I disagree. The best way to keep your data and information secure is to keep it private. Think of all the data breaches Facebook has had recently and how much information people give to Facebook. Next time Facebook gets hacked, leaked, or breached, the more information Facebook has on you, the more of your data and information is also hacked, leaked, and breached. Whereas, if you kept that information private, Facebook would not have that information to be hacked, leaked, or breached. The less privacy, the more insecure it is and the more vulnerable it is for attacks and exploits.

In the real cybersecurity world, the security is for the company, not the user. Better get used to it.

We all know big tech gives no fucks about the user and sells their data and information like it's cocaine. However, we're not talking about users. We're talking about people who want to be the company. The organization is for those seeking careers in cybersecurity. Imagine if someone leaked personal info of top-level NSA, DOD, or Google employees because those employees uploaded such info to Facebook, and Facebook gets hacked again. Essentially, these wannabe cybersecurity employees are doxing themselves. Do you not see how this is problematic?

>complain about security
>put potentially compromising data on social media sites instead of doing the bare minimum to meet some shit group's requirements
nobody's asking you to put your life story on there user
also facebook wasn't hacked they sold the data

Facebook does not require you to dox yourself. Post only publicly available information.

Attached: General_Paul_M._Nakasone_(NSA).jpg (2400x3000, 1.89M)

>You'd get some decent talent on Jow Forums or Discord
ha-HAHAHAHAHA
Jow Forums, ok, sorta maybe kinda
But DISCORD?
I think the ditzyness of these girls has rubbed off a bit on you...

Attached: SmartSelect_20190121-173007_Bromite.jpg (1383x2562, 1.62M)

I don't even understand the point you're trying to make? If I am reading your second quote correctly, that's my whole point. Anything put on social media is potentially compromising. That's why I don't know why they even did something like that in the first place.

>facebook wasn't hacked, they sold the data.
I literally just said that they did that. However, Facebook has also been hacked in the past. I don't see how Facebook selling the data versus getting hacked counters my argument when no matter what, that information is no longer secure or private. Back to my initial point.

Okay, so disclaimer: I do not have and never had Discord, and I did not know that about Discord. Thanks for that info! Now I know not to ever get one. However, I was referring to the recent incident where a Discord group was able to "hack" both this board and Jow Forums. If you're not a familiar with the incident, some janny leaked his Jow Forums login info to a Discord chat, and said discord chat was able to delete every post in Jow Forums and Jow Forums. That's why I included Discord as decent talent.

>Anything put on social media is potentially compromising.
you have to put it there yourself
if you can't stop yourself from doing that you're and idiot
it's pretty simple

>have to put it there yourself
>if you can't stop yourself from doing that, you're an idiot
That's exactly what I'm saying

You're welcome, thanks for being humble and further backing yourself up. Makes feel like an underage asshole, pic related.
No, I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it. Thanks!
No, YOU are an idiot for thinking that there are exceptions, and more so for being content with it. Certain (all of the normalfag) social medias track you OUTSIDE of the website, giving you ad recommendations based on your interests, location, etc.
If you honestly think you can safely use social media, security/privacy (and yes both correlate in this case you quote-crutching mongoloid), I recommend leaving this board immediately.
I think he has inadequacies with basic reading comprehension desu

Attached: SmartSelect_20190121-180406_BitChute.jpg (1340x445, 300K)

Oh, and here's the original site: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

They track you anyway, retard.
Using some shitty social media as a requirement for something, and only using it for that, isn't a problem.
You're retarded neckbeards afraid of touching social media because Jow Forums said so.

I JUST SAID THEY TRACK YOU ANYWAY.
CAN YOU READ??
>>>>>>I think he has inadequacies with basic reading comprehension desu
I'm afraid because of what I, and YOU, just said. And there IS something wrong with using social media if you NEED to. That means the source of the necessity does NOT care about your privacy or security (among the many other issues I'll refrain from stating since they're off topic). Plain and simple.
Is it wrong enough to justify not cooperating with, say a university? For me, no. But, ignoring the wrong != eliminating the wrong.
Can't wait for you to ignore what I wrote and say "hurrr Jow Forums created boogeyman hehe you bought the le meme get rekt retard" again
I hate nu Jow Forums

>I JUST SAID THEY TRACK YOU ANYWAY.
No, you didn't.
You sperged out about them tracking you, and said some autistic shit about not being able to safely use social media.

>can't summarize what I said about social media's ability to track you outside of their site to "tracking you anyway"
Like I thought, illiterate. Moreover,
>can't refute what I'm saying so nitpicks with *how* I'm saying and calls me a sperg as a crutch for glazing over my oh so autistic writing
So, are you going to give an argument now, or what?

>inadequacies with reading comprehension
That has to be the case. I don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore. None of the replies to you make any sense. They are arguing the exact same thing you are.

Is English your second language? What nationality are you?

Yes, he did. He said, "social medias track you OUTSIDE of the website," meaning they track you anyway.

Does anyone here actually speak English?

Why are you so asshurt? top kek
Your posts are an incoherent retarded mess.
You *are* sperging out for no reason.
>Certain (all of the normalfag) social medias track you OUTSIDE of the website, giving you ad recommendations based on your interests, location, etc.
not a reason to stop using them as the behavior is present either way
>If you honestly think you can safely use social media, security/privacy (and yes both correlate in this case you quote-crutching mongoloid), I recommend leaving this board immediately.
you haven't proven otherwise
you keep sperging over and over about nothing

>Yes, he did. He said, "social medias track you OUTSIDE of the website," meaning they track you anyway.
Exactly, so there is nothing wrong with using it in the first place.
Does it either way.

First of all, there are browser extensions you can use to block the tracking elements such as like and follow buttons. Also, you can block cookies, scripts, and fingerprinting such as do-not-track directly on your browser, so social media will not be able to track you. Second, just because they can track you even without an account doesn't mean it's smart to willing put your information out there, especially if you want to go into a field like cybersecurity. Third, if you believe there is nothing wrong with social media, then why you here, posting anonymously, rather than on your Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat/whatever with all your information attached? If you truly believe there is nothing wrong with social media, then why don't you post all your profiles/usernames?

>First of all, there are browser extensions you can use to block the tracking elements such as like and follow buttons. Also, you can block cookies, scripts, and fingerprinting such as do-not-track directly on your browser, so social media will not be able to track you.
I know, I use them, idiot.
So instead of freaking out about their tracking, it's a non-issue.
Account or not it doesn't fucking matter.
>Second, just because they can track you even without an account doesn't mean it's smart to willing put your information out there, especially if you want to go into a field like cybersecurity.
As I've said over and over, using facebook for the group, and only for the group, with an email you probably don't fucking use anyway, isn't a problem.
YOU are the one that would put something on it.
Using it for official group shit isn't a problem at all.
In your original post you used it as a reason to not have an account at all, fucking stupid.
>Third, if you believe there is nothing wrong with social media,
I never said that, retard.
For the purpose of joining a group that requires facebook with a school email specifically, there is nothing wrong with it.
You're the one with reading comprehension issues.
>then why you here, posting anonymously, rather than on your Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat/whatever with all your information attached? If you truly believe there is nothing wrong with social media, then why don't you post all your profiles/usernames?
Again, didn't say this.
Nice strawman.

>leave Jow Forums
i've left Jow Forums a while ago user, i'm on 4channel now, much better

Attached: 36 - v3YtROH.png (214x232, 70K)

I use them too. Everyone on here should use them.

I don't think you realize how much information is needed to join just that one group. In order to even create an account, you have give Facebook your real name, birthday, email, and/or phone number. If you ever go to the Settings tab, you can see more information e.g. the advertisers who have access to that information. Additionally, to join a university group, you have to add your .edu email address, which is attached to your school information. To have all of the combined information on a platform known for mishandling user information on top of multiple hacks when you want to go into something like cybersecurity is ironic and lacking foresight.

Exactly, you want privacy. Everyone who wants to go into cybersecurity should want privacy. If they don't realize how problematic social media is, they should pick a different career.

Attached: SteveBallmerselfie.jpg (267x366, 14K)

>In order to even create an account, you have give Facebook your real name, birthday, email, and/or phone number.
no
you don't have to give them any of that shit
There are posts on facebook that require an account to view so I have burners.
Never ever asked for any of that.
Only locked out a few times after harassing people.
>f you ever go to the Settings tab, you can see more information e.g. the advertisers who have access to that information.
so?
>Additionally, to join a university group, you have to add your .edu email address, which is attached to your school information. To have all of the combined information on a platform known for mishandling user information on top of multiple hacks when you want to go into something like cybersecurity is ironic and lacking foresight.
so by virtue of existing your school email is giving away information about you already
I can check valid emails at your university, and get the same info.
it's literally nothing
>Everyone who wants to go into cybersecurity should want privacy. If they don't realize how problematic social media is, they should pick a different career.
Most of the successful cybersecurity people have social media accounts. I guess they should just quit then?

Attached: file.png (890x439, 40K)

Furthering that, I think he might realize the malicious conduct of social media to the extent you said, and is trying to say that you should sacrifice all of that info because it's """necessary""".
In the virtue tier list, privacy and security are both ranked pretty high for me, high enough to where I'm not going to compromise it willingly for a mal-earned academic reward.
However, it's lower on his tier list, so he's willing to sacrifice that virtue for university/professional cooperation.

That sort of difference is leaning on "too subjective" and is difficult to argue between desu

kys shill, btw fb keeps the facial recognition data, they admitted to it

Attached: file.png (641x456, 128K)

Why would you ever upload your face?

did you see pic related ? you can't login to your account after a while without a face, i got that on my 3 accounts

Why would you ever use a site promoting and adding features to the uploading of your face*

"cybersecurity" is about protecting corporations from security breaches. It has nothing to do with your privacy.

> i got that on my 3 accounts
good job retard
make another account
Jow Forums allows you to do that much, user
we have

Fair.

>so what if advertisers have access to my info
>it's literally nothing if third parties have access to my school email
Oh, so you're one of those "I don't need privacy; I have nothing to hide" normies

>most of the successful cybersecurity people have social media accounts. I guess they should just quit
I mean, it's a matter of when, not if, their information gets leaked, so yes? Remember the fappening?

>locked out of burner accounts a few times for harassing people
That explains exactly what kind of person you are. I won't waste my time on you any further. Have a nice evening!

Someone finally has a coherent thought process, and you are one of the decent talent I referred to initially. Best of luck in your tech career endeavors, whether it's cybersecurity or otherwise! We need more people like you in the world.

don't be such a fucking baby

guess you'll never get a job then, filling in your real name on an application is a n-no
it's only a matter of time before they get breached and it's on the internet with all of your nudes!

>my info on facebook gets leaked
>now everybody knows that I commented "happy birthday" on my friends post
>everybody is gonna find out that I clicked on a redbull ad
>everybody knows about the time I liked my friend's facebook photo

how will i ever recover

Oh, I fully anticipate and expect all my information from job applications to get breached. My solution is go into the cybersecurity field to help prevent and minimize damage from such breaches.

>nudes
I have never taken and shared a nude photograph of myself in my entire life.

Thanks!
But I'm also , , , , , , , and Sorry for my previous incompetence I guess lol
>nothing to hide, nothing to fear
Yeah, your newfag is showing at this point. Lurk moar

why are you hiding shit on facebook you retard?

>nothing to hide, nothing to fear
if you don't snitch on yourself on facebook then you do actually have nothing to hide

that's like refusing to use a bulletin board because your afraid people will see it

Oh, you're not the incompetent one. You are by far the least incompetent person on this thread. As for the normie noobs, I suspect they are corporate shills for Facebook or something.

>You'd get some decent talent on something like Jow Forums or Discord
>decent talent
>Jow Forums
>discord
OH NONONONO WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE *BREATHES IN*

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
LOOK AT HIS LIPS

>he doesnt know that facebook attempts to track everything you do
Why make it easier for them?

based schitzo

Btw google likely has your Jow Forums post history via recaptcha and browser fingerprinting

what?

>talented
>Jow Forums
Pick one

Thanks desu. People like you make me worry less that Jow Forums (as in the anons I grew up on the board with and love), isn't (aren't) dead.
O and also, I'm not . My mistake
Wha- what? What the hell are you saying holy fuck I'm actually keking right now.
No, greentexting arguments and summarizing them as a fallacy isn't saying I... *literal chuckle*... partake in said fallacy. What the fuck is even going on anymore.
You're late, friendo: , >tfw when noscript captcha
Feels good. Still not botnet free, but much closer. And I don't have to wait for shitty animations. How I ever enjoyed this site without Clover on mobile and 4chanX on desktop is a mystery to me.
I'm gonna go with both: Black-pill season is over desu

yikes

>cybersecurity club

Attached: 5CF03ABF339B4F10BC1132FB944E4CB6.png (389x386, 312K)

I’m glad Jow Forums wasn’t always like this. Let’s just ignore all the corporate Facebook shills and carry on 4chaning.

The machines only know the information they are given. Understand that front layer.