/wm/dpt/ - Well-Mannered Daily Programming Thread

It's like /dpt/ but polite. Give it a try.

Attached: wmdpt.jpg (542x537, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

only a cuck would program in c++

What simple program should I write in Forthfuck? Pls no bully.

Attached: 5agijlf4vrn11.jpg (514x347, 44K)

Good day, dear Jow Forums users!
I just finished my x86 disassembler. Now I will write an assembler and later add an AMD64 extension.

Attached: miraculous.gif (540x300, 1.51M)

Here's a list printer I hacked together in Forthfuck.
#prints list backwards
5 4 3 2 1 #list goes here
a0``.1+0``a

are you still shilling this general?

Not op. It's a nice general. I like it.

>well-mannered

Attached: azuki3.png (559x529, 530K)

Here's an average calculator.
#average calculator
1 2 3 4 5 #list goes here
2 0
a1``+1`1+1@1``a1`-2+/.

Which lazy map library should I use in Clojure?

Attached: clojure.png (2000x2000, 158K)

Can you offer a better description?

Bump

No, fuck you

Attached: 1503735650375.png (697x768, 177K)

Wow how coincidental. I came on here just to apologize to nice, likely handsome, young man who was offering me advice in a previous thread. Hopefully my cross thread links work:

I get it now user, thanks. Nuthin quite like dropping a few hard R's on someone trying to give you advice while venting over your own stupidity. I just tried another set of these problems (it was actually the hardest one yet) and it was so much easier when following your advice. In hindsight it's big "DUH", but thanks. I just follow the steps, run through a few times with some dummy variables, then ask "ok, but it is it *really* doing"? and boy it has helped

Here's a better average calculator. This language is great practice for gotos and pointer fuckery, things that you have to be good at in Assembly.
#average calculator
#takes in zero terminated list
i,0`i$2 0
a1``+1`1+1@1``a1`-2+/.

Forthnite

I never gave you guys a hello world so here it is!
0 "Hello world!
" 1
l1+0``l
p-1+0``_0`p

>keep trying to learn to program
>it never clicks
>for five fucking years
>cs major

It's not fair. It's not fucking fair. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm not even doing this for a job I don't care about the development job. I just wanted to learn for me I wanted to make something and I can't muster fucking anything

There's nothing I'm good at. And starting anything new now I'd never be as good as I'd want at it.

I've only ever had computers in my life as escapism. And books but then I ran out of money for those and stopped reading in highschool. My entire fucking life is just a black hole. A disco ball shows me ever mistake I've made in my life. I regret every single aspect

Nothing is my calling . At this point I don't want a job in technology at all. I hate technology and believe modern development causes more harm than good. And is just a method for business owners to line pockets with fake forced "progress"
I would kill myself if I did IT. I want to kill myself now.

....I have no interests . I literally have been focused on computers since I was a kid . I'm an adult and even after five years of purposeful concentrated learning I'm tech illiterate.
I
Have
Nothing

I'm a failure.

Languages I've tried :
Python,C, Elm, Common Lisp, R, Forth, Haskell
Languages I'm trying now :
Ruby

I'm interested in programming language back end like compilers interpreters etc.
I like operating systems too

I'm thinking of dropping programming altogether to be honest .

hey buddy have u tried emacs? i really liked the built in intro to emacs lisp, real fun stuff! chin up m8, go for walks more and all that jazz.

any projects under your belt?

How can you try for 5 years at something and not make any progress?

Can I have your books?

Attached: 1545706016536.jpg (471x320, 38K)

>the absolute state of cs majors
Post stream when you do it

>I'm an adult and even after five years of purposeful concentrated learning I'm tech illiterate.
calm down. I'm sure you're being hyperbolic.
>I'm interested in programming language back end like compilers interpreters etc.
>I like operating systems too
Maybe you're just aiming to high, try get interested in more modest pursuits than compilers and operating system programming.

Attached: 04_10_improvement_meme_by_gaiash-d35dg93.png (850x2180, 1.51M)

If you want to try out a style that's focused more on proofs, you should check out A Discipline of Programming by Dijkstra. You solve algorithmic problems by first finding a proof that your algorithm solves the problem and then deriving the program from it.

What's wrong with ruby?
I made a calculator with stack memory
All I know is theory

Are you the same user? That book's actually buried in my bookmarks, but you're recommendation given the context is bumping it up to next on my list. At any rate, whoever you are, thanks. You'd be proud of me for how I handled this most recent one.

Nothing wrong with Ruby, just that emacs is self motivating imo. You will be happily programming recreationally before you know it, and that leads to a lot more code typed daily, which in turn leads to you being a better / more confident programmer. You're barriers seem strictly mental, so I just wanted to throw out something I thought would alleviate that a bit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
I'm sure you're better than 80% of all programmers out there.

lmao, the famous senior programmer with 10 years experience and 300k salary, maintainer of 30ish libraries and 300 repos on github talking about imposter syndrome.

Attached: 1545057645295.jpg (1075x1075, 246K)

I don't know how to program. I got zero projects know zero data structures can't do algorithms
I don't want to learn emacs... I'm a moron.
I'll make my own ruby text editor!! Haha. I'm a loser

I'm not the same person, but I might have recommended the book once before. If a theoretical style is pulling you down, then by all means consider programming in a more loose way. Engineering can be a healthy mix of art and science. I just study this stuff because the ideas are entertaining. When I hear someone talk about wanting to use proofs practically I think about that book because it emphasizes deriving a program from a proof instead of deriving a proof from a program. Going from program to proof is tricky because it's impossible to make a valid and sound argument for the correctness of an incorrect program. Also, logicians are usually more interested in proving things about their logic than actually using it and programmers are usually more interested in getting a few tests to pass than finding out if their programs are actually correct. So I find cases where logic and practicality intersect pretty interesting.

Fuck off and take your shit thread with you

I'm not the same person that you were replying to, but I might have recommended the book once before. If a theoretical style is pulling you down, then by all means consider programming in a more loose way. Engineering can be a healthy mix of art and science. I just study this stuff because the ideas are entertaining. When I hear someone talk about wanting to use proofs practically I think about that book because it emphasizes deriving a program from a proof instead of deriving a proof from a program. Going from program to proof is tricky because it's impossible to make a valid and sound argument for the correctness of an incorrect program. Also, logicians are usually more interested in proving things about their logic than actually using it and programmers are usually more interested in getting a few tests to pass than finding out if their programs are actually correct. So I find cases where logic and practicality intersect pretty interesting.

Yeah, Daily Programming Thread.