/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: OPisafaggot.jpg (480x640, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/301290/how-to-switch-windows-sound-outputs-with-a-hotkey/
consumer.huawei.com/us/tablets/matebook-x-pro/
lmgtfy.com/?q=physical windows drive boot vm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is there anything as easy as Microsoft Movie Maker for making simple youtube videos that consist of 2 slides with background music?

Desperately reposting:

I'm trying to develop a device that can read data from a CD ROM. I've got a dumb laser that gives me the 'eye pattern' or RF signal, I just don't know how to get ones and zeroes out of it.

I think that a schmitt-triggered device could convert the wave to pulses, but I'm not really sure how to get the clock out of this stream. I'm not sure how much of this should be done in hardware and how much should be done in software. Any thoughts?

Attached: 3[1].gif (460x299, 14K)

Are there any android apps similar to adaway that can prevent your device from communicating with ad/tracker domains that don't require root? I know very well how to root with magisk but it's still a hassle none the less. In fact I feel like it may be more of a hassle now since I have a samsung phone which I heard is harder to root than my previous phone(oneplus one). It pisses me off to no end when I play a mobile game and it then just plays a video ad out of the blue without my consent that I can't skip.

Attached: DdYfDjLVwAEPW0J.jpg (719x404, 43K)

here's a really dumb question. Is there a keyboard combination in Windows 7 that will switch to another available audio output on the fly?

Sometimes I wanna use my headphones and other times I want to listen through my TV and whenever I want to toggle between them I always have to navigate to this screen and set the other as the Default like a chump.

Attached: output.png (411x460, 23K)

why are the settings greyed out? xf86-input-libinput and libinput are installed

Attached: file.png (674x549, 34K)

On windows? Not that I know of, maybe some third party apps that either charge you money or are infested with ads. I wouldn't be surprised if the default video editing software that comes pre installed on macs was better though.

The feature isn't built in but apparently there's this FOSS app you can download that will do the trick.

howtogeek.com/301290/how-to-switch-windows-sound-outputs-with-a-hotkey/

Attached: 1532770609594.jpg (768x768, 103K)

uh. I installed synaptics and restarted and now I can use them

New PC. Webp images all appear to have a darker, redish color overlay when I open them, but they seem fine in preview mode.
I'm on win10. I did everything the same as I did in win7 on my previous PC.

What modern computer is most like a 2012-2013 model Macbook Air? I need to replace my old workhorse soon and I'm not amazed at the direction apple had been taking for the past five years.

Attached: image.png (666x500, 439K)

consumer.huawei.com/us/tablets/matebook-x-pro/

Can't you just look up the specs in that and buy a comparable laptop?

they also make a few other laptop models that are very similar

Best way to assign individual wallpapers to dual monitors in Win 7? The right click feature is only available in 8 and 10.

I'm rich. I don't want to build a PC. What's the best brand to buy from? I would buy Puget Systems but I'm not in the U.S. I'm talking worksations, not gaming PCs.

Gimmie 10K and ill build you a 6k modern workstation

what's the recommended user agent switcher addon for firefox these days

That really is how those services work. But for a rich person that doesn't matter.

I hear Pitivi and Openshot pretty solid for a simple editor. If this is for Loonix, try those.

Im currently a data analyst looking to switch to a dev job.

Whats a good language to learn? I know a lot of SQL, some excel and VBA, some VB.net and a little C#. Should i master C# or jump into Python?

Attached: 0xkxeh2utcy11.jpg (708x1024, 158K)

I'm surpisingly sensible with my money.
Thanks for not helping.

Having someone build it for you, since you lack the knowledge, is way better then buying some prebuiilt

its only been a couple days with my new pc and i plan on reinstalling the cpu (stock) because i think i installed incorrectly. how safe is it to take off the cooler and reinstall it without doing anything with the thermal paste (i dont have any extra).

Try Origin PC or MainGear.
They're overpriced but okay.
Or just Google "custom PC building brands".

Pretty unsafe. Your cooler won't do much without it.
Even for testing parts people always apply it, even if they know they'll take it apart after a few minutes.
Only do that if you try to see if your BIOS can see your hardware. Don't boot up an OS without it.

I like how you refer to PC building as "knowledge." It is not difficult to build a computer. I built a threadripper 2 workstaion a few months ago. One of the more regertful chocies I have made recently. Its only a few hundered dollars extra for someone else to build it for you

Why not? What would you recommend I use instead?

>One of the more regertful chocies I have made recently
Surely you know 2990wx rapes anything from intel. Or you're just meme'ing.
IF you want a workstartion TR4 is the way to way and blasts everything else out of the water.

>few hundred
Maybe a 15 year old working on his A+ cert in a high school class.
No one is going to build you jack shit for $200.

What is the standard setup for centralized home networking?

I'd like to have cat5e run to each of the bedrooms and the living room. I'm thinking either the coat closet or the laundry room would be suitable for a central networking location.

Are structured networking boxes suitable for a setup like this, or even necessary? When I looked those up they're always wired for switches, but I don't see why I'd need more than just a modem and router combo.

Attached: Floorplan.png (916x1036, 299K)

Huh, didn't know they made computers (outside of smartphones) I'll have to check them out. Do I need to be worried about it being riddled with Chinese spyware? And can it maintain charge for twice hours and not commit sedoku from basic everyday usage?

Because most if not all reports/reviews for anything tech are bought and paid for, on top of that their "specs" frequently are either outright lies or only occur in very specific circumstances. As a result I'm more skeptical of their suggestions than those of a community of anonymous misanthropes who likely wish me ill will but generally don't lie.

>Because most if not all reports/reviews for anything tech are bought and paid for, on top of that their "specs" frequently are either outright lies or only occur in very specific circumstances. As a result I'm more skeptical of their suggestions than those of a community of anonymous misanthropes who likely wish me ill will but generally don't lie.
Well, I don't know then. I usually trust the spec lists.

>Chinese spyware
nah

>central
Get a snake and get faceplates with power+ cat6 adapters on it and pull everything through the wall

If you don't have more rooms to wire than ports on your router. Otherwise a simple switch is fine.

Sick I'll check them out when I get home

How the fuck do I uninstall Autodesk Genuine Service?
Their website says it's designed to remove itself when it doesn't detect any autodesk software. I uninstalled all of it but it's still lingering.
When I try to uninstall it, it just shows me this.

Attached: 1542781235896.png (800x590, 110K)

>I don't see why I'd need more than just a modem and router combo
You don't, technically, but at the same time, using just a router means that each port is its own separate network, which is kinda silly if it's literally just one end device.

Where the fuck is the phone general thread?

>each port is its own separate network
That is very much not true.

I do rely on the router for wireless on phones and such.

There's no version of this where you don't have a router. The question is what additional shit you need, and if that means more ports, then you add a cheap switch. You don't need to get more complicated than that.

just kill the process and delete the exe

w-who

>That is not true
Yes it is, retard. What the fuck do you think a router is? It is meant to ROUTE traffic from one network to another. It does this by using gateways (ports) and routes which can be static or dynamic. I mean, maybe if you're using bridge mode you could say that's not true, but then you're literally using the router as a switch at that point.

Is it possible to “declare” that your project is a fork of another on github after you’ve uploaded files? Do fork statistics include private repositories?

Also is it possible to fork only a few files from an existing project?

If the router has one LAN port, then yes, that is on a separate network than the WAN port, obviously. But on consumer hardware, which is what annon is obviously talking about with his combo unit, the switch and firewall are built in, so every LAN port is going to share a single network. And a hardware firewall would be important even if he was just using a single device.

OP why you keep starting new threads 4 hours before old one ends?

So say I was late on paying one of my credit cards, then a few days later paid it and contacted support to get the late fee reversed. Few months later I am late on a different card, but through the same financial institution. Will the fact that they refunded a late fee on a different card recently affect my chances of getting this one reversed?

Yeah I know I should pay my shit on time but times be tough lately...

Why am I suddenly getting ad videos on youtube. Is my adblock broke or something.

How can I sync my Jow Forums X watched watched threads and settings across my computers (Firefox)? I have access to Insync if a syncing service would be required. I've gone a couple pages into a bunch of google searches and haven't yielded much of use.

i installed virtualbox on windows 10 pro and now when i click on restart it shuts my pc down instead. Happened to anyone else? Do I have to reinstall?
>inb4 using wangblows
this is my gaymer desktop, ive got ganoo linux on my laptop heh

If your adblocker works by using domains then ads served up from the same servers as the videos can't be blocked.

I have windows installed on an external hdd.
Is it possible to boot up that windows through a virtual machine on ubuntu?

i tried uninstalling ofc but that didn't work

Did you by any chance have Hyper-V enabled on it? Could be a conflict there.

I asked this in a previous thread but it didnt exactly help. So the backlight of my LED monitor is too bright. Even turning down the brightness all the way doesnt help, and getting a program to dim further doesnt help either. My issue is not on-screen brightness but moreso the intensity of the monitor itself. Does that make sense? This is my monitor on lowest possible brightness, where I feel like it should look very dull. Is it possible to actually change the backlight intensity? It makes it basically unusable for my eyes and I might have to get a new one

Attached: IMG_2955.jpg (1024x1365, 78K)

Nope but my guess is that virtualbox touched something at a kernel level and fucked it up. Nothing gets logged either. Ultra weird. I know it's windows because I tried a xubuntu live iso and it restarted it flawlessly

It may impact it, but it won't hurt to try.
lmgtfy.com/?q=physical windows drive boot vm
Screen filtering program.

I dont see anything out of hte ordinary with the brightness, its comparible to the brightness of my own monitor on a low setting.
Look in to getting "Dark Night Mode" addon for your browser, it will darkenwebsites so you do not have this problem

I had this happen with two cards around the same time, so I emailed them about it, and just copy/pasted the same email but substituted the different card number, and it turned out to be the same guy to respond to both emails. Still reversed both of them thoguh

Accidentally bought a Zune, what's an actual good MP3 around a similar price range?

ask

Won't I just get some shitty no name device that'll fall apart in a few months from there?

They don't last forever, no, but you are looking for something comparable to a zune, so maybe you won't be getting a kann.

In short, no you can't do shit without root privelege.

If convenience is whats prevening you from rooting, you only have to do it once. I'd just set aside an evening to it and dig into xda unless that looks like too much trouble. Only samsung I rooted/flashed like 6 years ago had some really good tools available, guiders were straightforward too. If that hasen't changed you'll be ok to just do eet. Bakup first burv

What is a good program similar to Infranview for images, but for audio? I just want a lightweight audio viewer/player, not a music library viewer like foobar2k and such.

any good windows laptops around the same price of a chromebook? I can't stand ChromeOS and I just want a basic laptop

no idea. I don't think he's from something though.
I start a new one when the old one is about to hit 300 posts.
If you're ok with not having a GUI, mpv can be used for that purpose. Just give it a path to your audio file, and it'll play.
Works great on all my *nix systems. I've never tried mpv on windows, but I'll assume it can be used the same way there.
It's a meme answer and you've probably heard it many times if you've been around this board enough, but try a used Thinkpad or HP Elitebook. You can find them on Ebay for dirt cheap, and they're quite durable machines.

How can I add sound to an animated jpeg?

1. I didn't know jpegs could be animated. You sure you're not talking about gifs?
2. Fairly certain you can't add sound to animated image files. I think what you want is a webm or .mp4

I installed a new hdd on my pc (Windows 10) and now it boots to bios. Can't see the old drive in bios. Remove the new one, magically it works again.
I figure the boot priority is fucked but I can't change it since bios only gives me one option, tree new drive.
Wat do?

You dont
But you can use a jpg as the only frame in a webm and loop music within

How do I fix the screen burn on my galaxy s8+

You do realize the bump limit on Jow Forums is 310?

Were can I find a wiring diagram for the power switch of a: HP Compaq 6200 Pro Series motherboard?

Attached: 1497565988526.jpg (630x630, 82K)

how do I download an entire soundcloud album? searched but only got individual downloads

Are Mionix mice any good? Want to match all my peripherals and their grey Castor fits well. I don't need insane dpi, long as build quality and latency are decent.

Attached: 61n05JT3BcL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1000, 39K)

They are highly regarded I think

I can't boot W10.

I had a BSOD with an ntfs.sys error, but now it fails the automatic repair.

Any ideas?

Does showing the laptop's current temperature and time with seconds on the panel use up too much battery, if at all?

I am a programmer that uses i3wm(and sometimes GNOME). Are multi monitors a meme? I'm think of getting two 24in 1080p monitors or one 24in 1080p monitor or one 27in 1440p monitor.

it was my birthday the other day and for some reason my brother decided to get me one of those stupid Yeti microphone things.
however I don't actually have a use for the thing, and my headsets microphone is much, much better for the few things such as videogames I would actually use it for so should I just return the overpriced microphone? its a million times worse than what I was already using

Yes. If you are just playing games, who cares what you sound like, you are not listening to yourself playing video games. Just as long as you are understandable to other people so they can take you seriously.
A proper microhone without a shock mount/pop filter and a quiet keyboard and quiet surrounings will be much worse than a headset microphone becuase a blue yeti is wayyyy mor sensestive.

yeah, thats the main reason I hate the thing
like the fucking thing picks up sounds that the human ear cant even hear at all, I cant even fart without the thing picking it up
and i don't intend to spend hundreds of dollars on expensive useless shit that may not even do anything at all

I purchased one Rode Procaster for my youtube channel fo 50k subscribers (at the time) and it was wayyyyyyy to sensitive. I went back to a MocMic 5.0. You cant even tell the diffrence with headphones. It also cost like 850 dollars with all the audio interfaces, pre amps, filters, arms, pop filters, shock mounts, compressors and the such

Please respond I've tried everything I can think of.

On Arch I'm having an issue running krdc, It just flickers for a second and doesn't do anything or give any error anybody else having this issue?

run it with strace and gdb

Are there any offline translation softwares that at least reach Google/Microsofts level of translation. Aka shitty but at least somewhat understandable with context.

Linkclump isn't working in Vivaldi, and none of it's alternatives work either
Googling it all I'm getting is years old posts saying it "werks on my machine"
What the fuck is the deal

If I run makepkg on a thing, can I then take that package and put it on a jump drive and transfer it to a different machine and then run it? I'm sure the answer is yes as long as both distros support the package but I want to know.

Nevermind it works now
Why does this always happen

Attached: download.jpg (770x513, 29K)

I had a BSOD on windows 10 and it's stuck on a boot loop.

When I checked with dir my C drive is now E

Any way to fix this?

As of right now it can't boot and fails the automatic repair.

I'm trying to install VOID linux on my acer c720 chromebook and I cannot get past the live USB GRUB menu, it just restarts and takes me back to the "OS verification is OFF" page.

also, do i need to format my chromebook to UEFI using the mr.chromebook firmware utilitie script?

In addition, safe mode finds no windows install.

I know it's there though, dir finds 159GB free on my E drive which is correct.

Corrupted MBR maybe?

is SATA2/3 backwards compatible with SATA1?

When using Unbuntu, How do you hide the top bar that has the time?

How long should a chkdsk r take on a nearly full hard drive?

The current estimated time is over 2 days, but I don't know if that's normal.