How can I tell if a language is Turing complete...

How can I tell if a language is Turing complete ? I'd like to do projects in it but I'm not sure if it's general program language or not

Attached: crown.jpg (1024x768, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNjxe8ShM-8
lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4222
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_110
mathworld.wolfram.com/CyclicTagSystem.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2300836
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

turing completeness is a meme there are a lot of turing complete languages that are unusable memes

>How can I tell if a language is Turing complete
If you can emulate a Turing Machine with it, it's Turing Complete

youtube.com/watch?v=uNjxe8ShM-8
do the powerpoint test

Go to school

>turing completeness is a meme
t. CS dropout

Attached: 1506348186608.png (568x602, 162K)

If you can implement a Turing machine emulator in a language, it's Turing Complete.
HTML (with CSS) is a Turing complete programming language, for instance.

I see that you're a very non-technical person, so I'll simplify it for you, a programming language is Turing Complete if, and only if allows:

recursion
conditions
arithmetic/boolean operations
storing and retrieving data

and that's about it.

I'm graduating this spring
I just want to know if I can use it to program everything

How am I non technical

>HTML (with CSS) is a Turing complete programming language, for instance.
nice bait mate

It is, actually, CSS3 implementations allowed you to program Rule 110

>I'd like to do projects in it but I'm not sure if it's general program language or not
A technical person would be able to easily knows if a language is Turing complete or not.

You can implement a Rule 110 automaton with a cyclic tag system in HTML.

lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4222
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_110
mathworld.wolfram.com/CyclicTagSystem.html

HTML/CSS is Turing complete. Cniles seething

OP is a fucking dumb ass and obviously knows NOTHING about CS

If it can story arbitrary amounts of bits (think an array), one of: loops, arbitrary jumps (think goto) or recursion; and has condition checking (if... then... else...) then it's turing complete.
This is why "accidentaly turing complete" is a thing.

Ok, here's the deal, HTML and CSS3 are NOT Turing Complete, and you can read the author of such workaround stating this here:
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2300836

Quoting:
>Since CSS can't actually really manipulate state, some user interaction is required to "drive" it.

You can't create recursive functions (or even simple functions) in CSS, so you won't be able to express every computable function in it(actually most computable functions won't be able to be expressed in it)

You'll need an external force to actually control the computation (human, js script, etc.) that is only being formatted by HTML and CSS.

%s/story/store/g

>you can read the author of such workaround stating this here:
Nope, ignore that

Hi fellow sed user:

*tips fedora*

I'm a cs major ...
How so

>How so
Ok, you mentioned that you wanted to "do projects" in an arbitrary language, now, what is this language, is some existing one? If it's a programming language then it probably is... if you're working with a new language, then I suggest you to check the production rules of the language you're working with it, you should check if the language fullfils the 4 requirements that I mentioned earlier(). Since you're a CS major, you should be familiar with Lex + Yacc and LLVM, so this should be easy for you.

Also, what kind of "projects" do you wanna do? Your whole post was extremely vague.

I don't know any of those technologies you mentioned. I didn't major in programming or engineering. I just want to learn to program for the first time in latex or lout. Whichever is Turing Complete or easier

>latex or lout

Latex and Lout are both Turing Complete, i.e: you can write any computable function in these languages. You see, these languages are aimed for writing documents, so you won't be programming algorithms in the "traditional way", if you are actually looking for a language so you can learn programming, you can try C/C++, Python, Java, etc.,

Also, I don't think you're a CS Major, I'm feeling baited.

I am a cs major and I'm not baiting . I know what those languages are.what makes their programming nontraditional

ok, honest question, did you studied compiler design in college (like in a specific discipline)? If yes, what did they covered?Where did you graduated (country/state)?

If you didn't learn about turing completeness and you aren't able to open a wikipedia article and figure it out what the fuck did you do in your major? Where are you studying, the university of New Delhi?

>CS grads thinking they're not brainlets
I'm an electrical engineer btw

If you were a CS major you would fucking know if a lang is Turing complete you degenerate shit face. Now fuck off of Jow Forums and stop posting your idiot questions faggot Jesus fuck dude. Also a 4 year in CS is basically fucking "compilers" and "how do I do the coddes?". I fucking hate code monkey brainlets like you. Get the fuck out you fucking retarded sack of shit.

Pretty sure you can cut that down to just these if you wanted:

boolean operations for a full set of logical connectives
storing and retrieving data

But that's why the question OP should be asking is really how to tell is a language is appropriate for his project not how to tell if a language is turing complete

>
>If you were a CS major you would fucking know if a lang is Turing complete you degenerate shit face. Now fuck off of Jow Forums and stop posting your idiot questions faggot Jesus fuck dude. Also a 4 year in CS is basically fucking "compilers" and "how do I do the coddes?". I fucking hate code monkey brainlets like you. Get the fuck out you fucking retarded sack of shit.
This guy is right

>how do u tell if a lang supports logic, booleans, and data stores?
OP needs to fuck off

I did learn about that though
No I didn't and I studied in America
I only studied theory that's why I don't know code or tech stuff
Relax

Then how do you calculate impedance of a circuit?

>
>I did learn about that though
>
>No I didn't and I studied in America
> (You)
>I only studied theory that's why I don't know code or tech stuff
> (You)
> (You)
>Relax
then fuck off dude "im a CS major" CS is more than theory you dunce no major knows theory God damn FUCK OFF and get off Jow Forums

I'm not the dude youre replying to, but this question doesn't make sense. Impedance in essence is opposition to current which includes a multiplicity of espoused calculation methods. For example you could be asking me to find inductive capacitance or simply resistance even.
It depends on the make up of the circuit which you have not provided.

>>CS grads thinking they're not brainlets
I'm a CS grad and I'm a PhD student now (research on numerical methods for chaotic systems), what's your point engicuck?

you're retarded
I respect PhD's,, I'm going for a master's myself, just saying that most csgrads are barely good enough to codemonkey and only got into the field for the work at google meme

I apologize for the offense, I'm under stress right now..., good luck in your academic career, and you're right about cs graduates.

>electrical engineer
That exists?
Sorry about it

>I respect phds

Really shouldn't
>I'm going for a masters.
Is it too late to get out?

Huh?
I don't care about money user, if that's what you're implying, I'm not a brainwashed american
I'm just doing what I enjoy doing

>I don't care about money
Then you 100% shouldn't be an academic

ok, fren
I'm just gonna keep having fun learning about things I like and doing interesting research, you have fun at your stale 9 to 5 tho

At least I don't support a moral desert filled with awful people