Those large slots on your PC case you never use

Why have extension slots on your case if you install nothing in them?

Attached: 5 point 25 inch.jpg (640x480, 46K)

I have a Blu-Ray drive and a multi-card/USB hub. What are some good things to put in the 3.5" bay? Can I get an adapter for a 3.5" floppy drive? That would save having my external one plugged in all the time.

I wish my case had a 5.25" bay

I have one of those drawers, its a handy place for shit like zip ties, spare screws, memory cards, and zip disquettes. Also have an optical drive (I burn backup discs now and then and leave them at my mom's house, that's my off-site backup strategy) and a card reader.

I actually use the expansion slots on my motherboard for more than just a single video card, too, actually. I don't get why so many people hate functionality and want it removed. Its not like a seven-slot midtower with a few external drive bays takes up a lot of space. If you live in anything bigger than a capsule hotel in Tokyo you don't need to save that volume.

Get a half height HDD.

Attached: half-height-drive.jpg (355x213, 10K)

I'm not a brainlet who still uses an ATX case in the year of our lord 2019 so I don't have to worry about this issue.

Attached: 1539643884443.jpg (216x215, 17K)

i dont. meshify c, works well. never needed to use dvds, theyre obsolete

Attached: 1541145409750.jpg (801x600, 484K)

m-atx case can have 1-2 of those 5.25 inc slots too

Attached: flanders finger up.png (442x341, 182K)

You just mean something to fit a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" bay? There's tons of stuff like pic related that you can get for dirt cheap. Just search "3.5 floppy drive to 5.25 bay" and you'll get a ton of results.

Attached: 81-yL-yIBLL._SX679_.jpg (679x679, 30K)

Zalman z11 is Max and has 5

Attached: 1547581864635.jpg (900x1200, 695K)

Matx*

but i do
waiting on a CD/DVD drive as well right now

Attached: IMG_3543.JPG.5bef4c650fa6eab37e6e65104ca06382.jpg (3024x4032, 1.04M)

My full size ATX case I got last year doesn't have them. Fine by me, just means more space for other things and better airflow.

>zip disquettes
It's called a "jump drive" you mong

It annoys me that 5.25" drives aren't being made any more.
I have a case with 10 5.25" drive bays and I want to fill it with big, slow hard drives.

>You just mean something to fit a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" bay?
No, something to go in the 3.5" bay. The two 5.25" bays are full, but the 3.5" bay is empty since I can't find anything to put in it.

you could buy drive cage systems which take 3 or 4 of 5.25" slots and fit in large number of 3.5 inch drives

Attached: drive cage.jpg (455x269, 21K)

The reason I want 5.25" HDDs is price.
5.25" drives means platters can be less dense for a given storage capacity, which in theory means drives would be cheaper to manufacture.

3.5 inch slots take mainly memory card readers, I havent seen a lot of other things to put in them
(except of course their original purpose device, floppy drive)

or get an IDE zip drive, while it is useless, at least it fills a slot and it can function in modern OS, at least on Linux, but you do have to have an PATA IDE controller and modern mother boards dont have one, I suppose

Attached: atapi zip.jpg (611x550, 44K)

better put the CD Drive on top then, or you will have all the cables in the way when you open the CD Tray

I have an adapter case for 4 2.5" drives. I only have 2 in it though.

No, Zip Disks

Attached: iomega-zip-100-drive.jpg (672x512, 40K)

But I don't...

We're already bumping down against the floor price for HDDs. They just don't get cheaper than sixty bucks or so, because the case and PCB and heads and all that other overhead are still the same regardless of the density of the platters. Hence why, though you can get a new 4TB drive for a hundred bucks, you can't buy a 1TB drive for $25. (unless its used)

You could make a given capacity point cheaper with big 5.25 drive. But it's already cheap to fit several terabytes into 3.5 and that's all the consumer market demands, so you wouldn't pay off the investment in manufacturing larger platters with big volume. Sure, it'd be neat to have a 100TB 5.25 full-height drive, but you wouldn't sell enough to make a profit, let alone make them cheap.

Those are for SCSI drives, dumpass. Don't fill them with shit they might be useful later.

>implying that guy will ever use the front interface

I have one of these ba(y/e)s in mine.

Attached: 5inch-bay.jpg (640x640, 39K)

They are not obsolete. There are plenty of uses for them as described here. Granted, most don't need an internal BR or DVD drive anymore but they can hold all kinds of other things. If you have a high performance cooling system , fan controllers can be placed there and in fact if your case isn't shit you can mount radiators and or fans in the bays depending on how many you have open and with proper hardware. Adapters for 3.5" or 2.5" devices can give you more room mounting them in the 5.25 bays, including powered backplane racks for HDD or SSD. Not to mention sundry expansions like the drawers, additional ports or pass through etc.

Those ancient stickers, got any newer picture OP?

Obsolete, buddy

That is some old ass add on

Mine are grills so I get extra air flow, also have a Blu-ray drive

The last one was made in 1998, so if you can time travel, then I suggest you live in another era so you can use a 5.25 HDD

air circulation

Remember back in the day I wanted one of those so badly. But what are they useful for, now?

replacing them with grills is really best HDD is almost dead so wasting money on trayless bays for them is not necessary unless the machine is used to edit 8k video or some thing.