Idea guy

Let's say i have an idea for a rendering method that could boost every game fps without losing any perceptible image quality
How do I profit from it and avoid companies stole it? I'm not good enough to program it all on my own

Attached: simpleGLUTFBO.jpg (648x513, 57K)

Go to a company, try to sell it to them.
Write a contract before giving out any detail.
Profit

Patent it. Beware that game devs are vrey creative and will find ways to circumvent your parent.

It would be much better if you publish your method without any license and piggy bank on the fame and reputation.

You're not going to make a lot of money this way. "Without losing any perceptible imagine quality" doesn't tell them anything about limitations and requirements and they can't evaluate whether your method is useful for their game (engine). They'll read you as a snake oil merchant and they'll show you to the door.

>I'm not good enough to program it all on my own
if you are too brainlet to define it mathematically (and thus program it) then your idea is literally shit and so are you, retard

Create a proof of concept. Load one of the usual open access demo scenes into your program and measure FPS. Also implement SOTA methods (like forward+, or whatever the backward-of-the-day is). Compare qualitative results by giving zoomed-in samples to display off-pixels. Share FPS graphs on both tasks. Make sure nothing else is running that might use the GPU (in particular, record FPS when nothing is running as a "noise background"). Document and publish your result if you want to go that route (it will make you highly employable and opens a path for academia).
Otherwise, keep the paper internal for when you will pitch your shit to investors. Also use that paper to patent the tech. Create your own company and show the demo to VCs (optional). Either create a full framework or library and sell it, sell graphics consultation, or sell the demo and support to help adapt it. Use the paper to help the clients through as they check it out.
Big companies have so much money they don't mind buying your overpriced demo even if it's shit in the off chance it's actually good, just market well to them and you're in.

With all that said, see

Already done. Didn't take off.
NEXT!

Pretty much this, every mathematically possible rendering method on the way that correct computers works has been patented already, it has just not been worth it to change over to

>Let's say i have an idea for a rendering method that could boost every game fps without losing any perceptible image quality
You don't

Software patents mean jack shit, nobody cares about them

Just post the idea here OP.

Surely you have a working proof of concept showing a AAA title running under your rendering engine with improved FPS and no loss of graphical fidelity, right?

>I have an idea for this
I would say it's wise to implement a demo first. Then you patent it if legit.
Then you sell rights to studios.
>I'm not good enough to program it all on my own
I would say you've got no chance in hell of convincing anyone that your idea it worthwhile without having at least a good academic background in graphics.

Concern #1 is staying alive when you drop Nvidia share price by 30% as nobody needs a new GPU for a whole generation.

No studios buy the rights to use algorithms
software patents mean nothing

Publish it and get hired for consulting

>just have every two consecutive frames be the same. That way you have an instant 2x fps boost

Better idea - update all the even rows of pixels on frame then all the odd rows of pixels the next then repeat that over and over. Twice the FPS and it still looks smooth!

Where can I patent my amazing idea?

Patent

this

You could be a greedy ass and be valued by a couple of suits... or you could make it free software and be somebody in the community, your idea is so good, would you rather use it to drive software as a whole forward, or have it in the bext fortnite whose users will praise because of le funny memes and not because its technical advancements?

probably been done before.
plus, remember that many of the rendering methods we use don't appear fast on paper, but because of driver optimisations can be the fastest method

op here

my idea is to just represent the entire game world as a bunch of atomic sized cubes like minecraft

Yeah sure a AAA game can be translated to another rendering engine just to show if it works

don't bother, it already exist and is already used in commercial projects if really good or already ditched if trash.

Then write an academic paper, completely with mathematics and real world benchmarks, justifying your "rendering system" is worth investors jumping on board to get it some real world testing from real studios.

>How do I profit from it and avoid companies stole it? I'm not good enough to program it all on my own

I have an idea for an app that will revolutionize the way people do things too, I just need someone to program it

>open access demo scenes
Can you tell me more? I don't know where to look for
I was trying to make a deferred shading engine from scratch (opengl) but it's too much work

Epic

>Patent it.
Probably the correct answer.

>Beware that game devs are vrey creative and will find ways to circumvent your parent.
That is why you need a good patent attorney.

>It would be much better if you publish your method without any license and piggy bank on the fame and reputation.
Reputation doe snot pay well.

>
>You're not going to make a lot of money this way.
Correct. Licensing is only a gold mine if you read the screeds of mouth breathing FOSS types who never contributed anything but finds everything obvious - in hindsight.

>"Without losing any perceptible imagine quality" doesn't tell them anything about limitations and requirements and they can't evaluate whether your method is useful for their game (engine).
You might run it on a machine you bring in yourself, showing superior performance on old hardware.

>They'll read you as a snake oil merchant and they'll show you to the door.
That is just a normal way of starting negotiations for many.

>Pretty much this, every mathematically possible rendering method on the way that correct computers works has been patented already, it has just not been worth it to change over to
Citation needed.

>Software patents mean jack shit, nobody cares about them
Qualcomm and Apple seem to disagree to the tune of billions of dollars.

If you don't publish your source code how they gonna check whether you hurt some patents????

You know Epic Games, the people behind Unreal Engine, has more than 10 patents?

OP might try to sell to them and get a (probably small) royalty.

The Sorenson encoder did that. It was ugly.

Reverse engineering to locate infringing code is already an industry. The big names in mobile phone tech use this all the time.

Tell the software when get.fps() is called to report back get.fps()*2

Why don't you only render things that the camera can see? Or would it take longer to calculate what can be seen than just rendering everything

>You might run it on a machine you bring in yourself, showing superior performance on old hardware.
That tells them nothing about how well his method can be applied to current game engines. Game engines go through thousands of decisions and many iterations and thousands of hours of testing and optimising. You can't assume that they can just slap his method in and it will double the framerate magically. Maybe they have to redesign the whole engine around it and the end result will have worse performance. Maybe his method can't scale past 1 million polygons per frame or it doesn't work with floating point frame buffers (which are used for HDR). Showing off a demo doesn't prove anything. How can he convince them that his method will improve the performance of their game but without explaining why and how?

Forget instant gratification.

You need to take this in stages. First a demo to show that it works, then an agreement to protect his interests (probably also a patent application), and then you show the innards.

you're like 30 years late with that idea bud

>Let's say
Let's not, because you don't.
Ask me how I know.

>How do I profit from it and avoid companies stole it?
patent it and contact ID Software to have them buy it off of you for implementation in UE4

So, voxel?

Let's say i have an idea for a cancer treatment that could boost everyone person's life without any perceptible side effects
How do I profit from it and avoid companies stole it? I'm not good enough to develop it on my own

Attached: images.jpg (236x177, 8K)

Probably talk to a goddamn lawyer first. And then another lawyer for a second opinion.