Void Linux or Fedora

I'm stuck between choosing one of them. ubuntu, opensuse, manjaro and some other linux distros sucked. arch seems unstable. just want to use one of them for playing games, so in the case of my void i won't use musl.
Here's the pro's and con's for each:
>Void
pros:
-runit is fast and excellent for my slow pc if i need to reboot which often happens, and seemingly it seems better than systemd in every way, although this is discussable.
-fast, clean minimal distro with no bloat after install
-everything works great
cons:
-forums have been down for a long time
-small team and user base
-lack of bug reports/testers

>Fedora
pros:
-newer patched kernel, but i don't know if this is necessary or not. my pc is not vulnerable to spectre etc.., but logically it seems better to be updated... though alpine still uses an even older one than that off void, so who knows? is a basic firewall with few to none services running good enough?
-lots of support online, many use it
cons:
-systemd, just recently a few more vulnerabilities got discovered, and it is slow

fedora comes pre-installed with SELinux; apparmor is available for Void. both installs will be built from scratch w/o a desktop environment.

Attached: download.png (247x204, 4K)

if you want to play games then just install windows.

>arch
>unstable
Stop listening to parrots.
Update at least once a month and you’re fine.
t. Stable arch user for years

But if you insist on "games on linux" experience then install Ubuntu.

void

this.
I use void btw
there are no good games from the past decade, so...
Anyway, OP, I'm assuming that you're new to linux. void will learn you a thing or two (its installer basically details what to do on a minimal install but then only actually makes you partition your drive).
That being said, you should use fedora, get tired of it after a month or two, and then use void. also, you could just install ubuntu. the installer is based, like I spent an entire weekend trying to get uefi boot to work, gave up, but for shits and giggles tried to see if lubuntu's installer could do it so long as I partitioned it right. and whaddaya know, it just werked.

Manjaro
>stable
>best drivers
>most software

All distros have access to same games thru steam play

devuan+backports

Fedora

go for fedora. it's basically THE distro where the future is happening. and now that ibm is buying redhat, it will be glorious.

Normally I'd say void, but its kinda in the shitter for those reasons.
Its almost a tough call.
My first distro was Fedora 16(?) with GNOME Classic. I used regular GNOME 3 for a while after they dropped classic. I liked it at time but Its gone 1 step forward yet 3 steps back.

Avoid Redhat as much as you can (Systemd, gtk/GNOME, NetworkManager, etc.). I see now that the direction they're forcing us in is contrary to everything "Linux" stands for.

Slackware, Gentoo, PCLinuxOS, Void
Debian Based: Devuan, MX Linux

>Slackware, Gentoo, PCLinuxOS, Void
>Debian Based: Devuan, MX Linux

This though I'd avoid Void because it doesn't have as much documentation as the other ones listed above.

>-forums have been down for a long time
They're on Reddit now. Whenever I have an issue with Void I make a disposable account and ask for help there. So far every issue I've had under Void has been fixed.

>arch seems unstable
it isnt

>Stop listening to parrots.
>Update at least once a month and you’re fine.
>t. Stable arch user for years
arch will never be stable no matter the periodicity.
all arch users are fucked in the head for using it.
they are getting jewed and they fucking like it.

Fedora's a solid distro and, if you have problems, there's a huge community out there to help you. It'd be a perfect fit, especially if you're thinking about a little gaming (though if you wanna have games, you're better off using Ubuntu. A good, lightweight Ubuntu-based distro is Bodhi Linux.)
Honestly, I like Void, simply because I like xbps, runit, and the added benefit of learning a system entirely without having a hand to hold. That's just me being autistic, though.

Not really a problem for void.
Aside from its package manager void doesn't add add much that isn't covered by the archwiki.
For Slack and Gentoo I can see how documentation is crucial.

Arch is bloated minimalism.
Minimalism without all the benefits.

>the added benefit of learning a system entirely without having a hand to hold.
Void is ridiculously easy for how minimal it is. Void takes "minimal" to mean simple.
You'd have to spend all day reading to understand base arch because its components are super complex.

this.
I used arch for a year and had to update once a month because isolated place in country with 128kbps shitty connection. Nothing broke. Stable af. May use void which I dumped because no aegisub package and compiled aegisub wouldn't work.

Forgot to add "if you've never used Linux before".

i simply don't get how can anyone use arch in long term.
even gentoo has stability keywords to assure its long term reliability.
bleeding arch is insane.

srs question, isnt void abandoned?

Of course not.

>ponyos

Arch is very stable now. In fact, it's so stable, it's kind of boring. I almost miss the days where updating was like playing Russian roulette.

The only real problem with void is that there’s very little documentation for some of the void-specific stuff. Even then, it only becomes a problem when you’re trying to build from source.

stop being naive.
bleeding edge will never be stable nor boring.
i can imagine updating nvidia drivers to bleeding edge weekly.
yeah.
that would definitely work each time.
using bleeding is suicide.
it's similar to using systemd.

Attached: snsa_small.jpg (160x66, 29K)

>newer patched kernel
Kernel is the only thing I compile on my Void.
Always the latest version.

Yea I did. I was thinking the context implied that.

I would recommend void to someone new to Linux. I would never recommend Arch because they'll either follow a 2 hour long tut and understand nothing or they'll spend all day learning about something trivial.
Figuring out the solution to a hurdle can be a great learning experience. Void has enough of those and they tend to be more forgiving ( and less system annihilating).

Void is too obscure. Just use Fedora if you don't like Ubuntu. Tbh I prefer fedora because of the installer. Get the net installer and choose your favorite wm or de

and other Void anons, I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and I find myself constantly building from source because of the obscure software I use and because 16.04 has very outdated packages.
My install is complete clusterfuck, ~200 compiled packages, most of the core system components replaced by git versions. I even tried to replace glibc at some point.
Is Void for me? What do you think?

>get an old laptop from 2003 with a single core celeron processor and 512 megs of ram
>install bodhi linux on it
>it's ugly, everything has shitty animations on by default, even clicking make the cursor flash and it has tons of bloat installed
>ux is terrible and the system feels sluggish

imo a minimal distro intended for old hardware should be some distro with no other packages than necessary to run xorg and a lightweight wm,, like icewm. if i need something i install it..

no, don't use derivatives. Ubuntu LTS net or server install are good enough I think. I just tried Debian so I don't know but they should be as lightweight installing the individual components of the desktop with apt install --no-install-recommends.
you shouldn't use derivatives because the security upgrades will take more time, this is not the case on Debian vs Ubuntu because there are developers for Ubuntu to backport fixes, meanwhile having yet another middle name of doubtful expertise... Stop using shitty forks

What were you trying to replace glibc with? If you were trying to replace it with musl, you’re in luck because void has first-class support for musl.
As for the source thing, I seem to be the only person I’ve encountered who has a problem with void’s build-from-source functionality, so take this with a grain of salt. xbps-src, which you can use to make packages that can be installed by void’s package manager, is extremely poorly documented. The docs are spread out across three github manuals of seemingly infinite length, and they don’t make it clear how all of the information is useful. The only advice I got about it was to read some of the templates in the void packages repository until I got a feel for it. If Arch is the gold standard for documentation, void is the shit standard. The upside is that after you make a template, you can submit it to be added to the official repositories so others won’t have to do the same thing, as long as the program you’re submitting isn’t a web browser or electron-based. The devs have a seething hatred for electron and won’t create official packages for any programs that use it. Maybe that’s changed; I stopped using void about six months ago when they were still recovering from losing their head dev.

void is gay
installled zsh and added another user with shell set to zsh and set root shell to bash because why not
rebooted and could not login
why?
void installs both shells under /usr/bin and in /etc/shells they're listed under /bin, therefore my user's shell is invalid and I couldn't login on any account
luckily I used the install media to edit the shells file manually
void is retarded

In general is it really necessary to have the latest kernel?

what's the easiest way to do that?

>What were you trying to replace glibc with
A newer version.
>as the program you’re submitting isn’t a web browser
So no ungoogled-chromium for me? That sucks.

You sound like you know what you're doing. It's just for playing games right? Choose the one where you'll have the least issues playing the games you want to play.

They make you compile regular chromium by yourself, too. Also, chromium may be undergoing an api change that will render ublock and umatrix useless, so you may want to consider switching.

>ctrl+f gentoo
>4 results
fuck it going to /tech/

No way I'm switching. My workflow depends on way too many chromium addons.
Also I simply don't have the RAM to compile chromium on my laptop.

You forgot to list NSA as Fedora's biggest con

Manjaro is so good it should be illegal. Makes linux way too boring because it just werks

You're only here because infinity is dead and cripplenigger is a bigger tard than moot