REDDIT IS BULLYING C/C++ AGAIN

It's not fair bros, how do they keep getting away with it? Fucking Rust SJW faggots. They don't exist in the ethnostate.

Attached: 1548072720735.png (1866x1944, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vmware/haret
rust-lang.org/policies/code-of-conduct
reddit.com/user/bruce3434/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop posting screenshots of your reddit posts and go back.

Who cares: the post

>Please help guys computer science is hard. I tried to write a program that sorts files and it's too hard. I spent 4 days on this and I can't do it. So I guess I'll blame the language I used.

Why do I even post here anymore? I get older and older but the undergrads stay dumb.

The only way to convince people to use your language is to write kickass software with it.
C++ was able to do that.

Rust faggots can't. They don't have a single killer app. Their biggest "success" story is half of the rendering engine of a browser no one uses.

Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you fucking failed abortion.

The points about cmake and dependencies being a pain are true but everything else is a huge over-exaggeration or straight up lie

The actual reality is that C++ definitely has pain points, but there is no equivalent language, so we can't really compare C++ against anything else.

I suspect the biggest criticism against C++ is when people use for stuff that Python, Java or PHP could do, in which case it's not worth suffering the pain of C++, I agree.

>That SEETHING Streak
The ABSOLUTE STATE of Jow Forums lmfao

Attached: 1542078963386.png (259x195, 8K)

C is worse

Attached: 1547334655034.png (1926x906, 188K)

Now that you mention it, what are some big projects mostly written in Rust?
I know of rav1e and Alacritty, but nothing else comes to mind.

Redox

Retarded post

>inb4 it doesn't count
Nice COPE, cniles lmao

Attached: 1544729016111.png (1098x1126, 492K)

github.com/vmware/haret

no args lmao

Great thread, OP. Waiting for C(/++) damage control force to correct the record haha
I won't wait

Attached: 1537771566378.png (1200x1400, 502K)

filtered

If you are looking for a safe space or bubble I highly suggest you go back to plebbit.

>cope
All I have to say is linux

There's no such thing as a big project in this so-called language

>identify pic as a reddit post before reading the actual op

Attached: 1490384107550.jpg (559x364, 148K)

Not like it's hard. Reddit is the only site out there with those weird black circles in place of greentext

i have no idea what the formatting on reddit looks like, it was just the pretetentious tone and lack of robust argument

i see some boomer/zoomer cancer in this thread, did that also come from reddit

Yes, they created both words

I thought pic related was better.

Attached: 1200px-D_Programming_Language_logo.svg.png (1200x910, 302K)

Im learning C because Im interested in linux
why is so hard for people to understand that C should be used for low level stuff

Manually add resources, lmao poor guy didn't hear about blobs

There are some good command line tools built in it. rip-grep is really nice.

C should absolutely not be used for low-level (aka most security critical) stuff. Go have your system commit suicide in private and stop inviting the NSA to our parties, inbred.

it makes you think how there has been 0 progress in the coding scene.. we are using 1970 technology( with some improvements ) nothing else. no big revolution, everthing is based on the same shit.. when will we get the real tech revolution ? we are living in the horse era of machines...

A great OS that already runs on two platforms: QEMU and VirtualBox.

>let's instead use bloated languages for low level stuff

How is forth bloated?
Oh right you've never heard of it because you're a cnile inbred.

Go create something better than a 1970s language or stop whining.

Except forth is as niche as assembly and as dead as cobol and nobody cares about it, and that's the way it'll stay.

>get BTFO
>copout
lol butthurt

Forth's descendants are more fun than C's.
+[-[-.---.>..>..>.

Except C is not dead and used in pretty every device in the world, from their OS, hardware and programs.

The experts back then choose C over forth. So it's obviously the superior language and can do everything.

>The experts back then choose C over forth.
Sorry for calling you a Cnile, you're actually a Clown. I can see you're a great one too.

>fun

C remained relevant because Ritchie wrote the first C compiler himself and then wrote Unix with it. If TempleOS became popular HolyC would ride on its coattails and become popular too.

C++ is not C. Also, please stop lumping those languages together with the phrase "C/C++". It's like saying "Assembly/C", assuming the latter is enough of an abstraction of the former such that it justifies a grouping of both.

>C should absolutely not be used for low-level
You've got Java and you need your software to talk to a serial-port. Go.

aren't most of these problems solved by proper planning?

At least my language of choice is not a joke.

Yep. So it's a good thing all software is written with the waterfall methodology, huh?

Haha, good one. I would steal it but I don't "do" Craps.

What PCJ thread was this even on?

C/Python

Attached: 1515027726980.jpg (515x390, 31K)

>I'm too fukken stupid to use a proper text editor let alone a proper IDE to program: The Post
C++ has plenty of legitimate faults, but these aren't it

Attached: 1547433725204.jpg (884x1092, 181K)

t. never programmed

would it calm your autism to say c is a subset of c++

Incorrect. C is not a subset of C++ due to semantic differences

C was always kind of a glorified Assembler. Sure it has math expressions and automatic register handling but if/while/switch are just abstracted uses for labels and Assembly already has functions. C is a flavor of Assembly made more Englishy and Mathy. The problem with the C compiler is you have focus on writing efficient C that the compiler can easily understand if you want fast code which is much different from writing efficient Assembly. The problem with this is you get C coders who think it’s impossible to write faster Assembly than gcc because they don’t know how. Of course any real low level coder is quite capable of writing both, but uses Python for his toy projects anyway.

It is.

>Moving goal posts
LMAO
So how is that Linux market share looking after all these decades? Fucking loser LOL
>please stop lumping those languages together with the phrase "C/C++".
No because both of them are utter trash.

Attached: C grugs.png (1200x699, 345K)

It's an interesting one to think about isn't it
Wonder if there ever will be a true revolution?
Imagine if today someone delivered a programming language that made almost every project take 10x less time...

Oh, you mean lisp and smalltalk?

As an aside, I find these shit flinging competitions (in this thread C vs anti-C) to be pretty worthless.
You just end up with two sides trying to wind eachother up repeatedly without anything novel, just repeats of threads we've seen for decades at this point

Only one side is promoting the worst software bugs the world has ever seen, leading to multiple deaths and uncountable privacy and other security violations, not to mention centuries of lost work.

>a browser no one uses
Which one? Vivaldi? Brave? Opera?

I like Lisps, used many of them
I've never tried Smalltalk, so I can't speak on that

I think Lisp has a huge learning requirement to start with, since it can take ages to really get comfortable with how much of the structure of code is up to you.
Just look at the sorts of things presented in Let Over Lambda

I think that's the opposite of what modern programmers seek
The success of Golang was in presenting a very tightly structured language
You can barely do anything imaginative, nothing "outside the box" so to speak
It's cold, mechanical, but so simple you can just write it all day without thinking once

Even then, with a Lisp wizard, do we have good examples of Lisp project home runs to brag on?
That's the crux of my ramble - why don't we see more Lisp projects, or for that matter why don't we see more projects in these really powerful programming languages that truly afford the programmer a full canvas for creativity and ingenuity?
Maybe out 200IQ children will be good enough for Lisp

Firefox
Sad to say but Firefox has been continuously losing market share for a decade or more now
It's basically become The Boomer Browser
I hope Chrome team's recent moves against ad blocking plugins will bring more interest to Firefox again

You are going to be well dead and people will still be using C++ so relax, you cant do real low level stuff without C/C++.

We'll all be dead when 2038 hits

>unironically believing sites that are literally being paid by Microsoft to skew percentages

>golang
>success
lol
probably the biggest failure in modern tech, all because it's antiquated in all ways.

I don't think it's a good language
As you say, it's antiquated, its only interesting quality is a half-baked implementation of CSP
But it's used quite a lot from what I've seen

>literally every android phone
>literally every mac is unix based hence C
>literally even windows is written in C
More like 100%

The discussion was about Redox's compatibility with platforms, you retarded low IQ mongrel. To which is said Linux's market share is below 1% even after all these decades. Read it again, brainlet loser.

Attached: 1539959093749.png (1834x1200, 639K)

>you cant do real low level stuff without C/C++.
Is this a joke? Terry invented a new language in like three days that he wrote a whole os in. Anyone can easily avoid those shitty languages. You can even use Forth or some other dinosaur language if you use C peepee just to feel cool.

Attached: 04852CC2-9C2B-49A8-86FC-9E40E669E56B.gif (540x304, 1.52M)

Sweetie, this violates the Rust CoC. Please see rust-lang.org/policies/code-of-conduct
You have been scheduled for re-education.

So in your world, android phones and servers don't exist?

But both of those languages ultimately have similar issues and design concerns. Granted, c++ is definitely very dissimilar in terms of the language itself, but both languages still lack a proper modules system, a variety of build tools and compiler usage that all suck,like and no clear system for dependency management

Windows server is more popular, pretty sure google is ditching linux too

some C code isn't compatible with C++. implicit type casting of pointers is not allowed in C++

What languages does Jow Forums recommend?
I don't want to risk using the wrong language

t. Rustoddler

Haskell and Lisp are the best, learn them

What's wrong with Rust the language?

i don't like how every time i come back to c++ there's 5000 new features and changes to the STL i have to learn

The only legitimate complaint against Rust is it’s ugly.

You fucking fags stop sperging over languages and start making something
No one cares about your opinion on some language either use it if you like it/it fits your needs or find something else if it doesn't

>Windows server is more popular
Where can I find this metric? I search for marketshare and a lot of sources seem to consistently show Linux being more popular
>Google Fuschia
hasn't gone anywhere as far as I know
Even disregarding those two, there are a fuckton of low power devices out there that opt to use Linux.

But what if I pick the wrong language and people cyber-bully me when they find out?

filtered

You learn from your mistake
You probably won't pick "the wrong language" though unless ur retard

Give me a better alternative for embedded applications.

I would use Rust.

javascript
python
java

Clojure

reddit.com/user/bruce3434/

It has no technical merits whatsoever. It doesn't give you any power that didn't already exist.

But what about The Borrow Checker™?

It rejects valid programs.

See pic
>merits
unlike C, you don't need a 20 Mb 3rd party library to flip capitalization of strings.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-23 17-05-54.png (1580x1138, 225K)

Incredible. The Linux propagandists were always telling me that Linux dominated back end development and servers, but the truth here is clear as day. Glad I stuck with Windows through college. Now I'm a developer, using Visual Studio to make great C# .NET programs, without the byzantine problems that C and C++ programmers face.