What do they mean when they say the cat can be both alive and dead with equal validity until we actually look at it...

What do they mean when they say the cat can be both alive and dead with equal validity until we actually look at it? It's either dead or alive you can't superimpose a yes or no answer, fucking bullshit.

Attached: Schrodingers_cat.svg.png (2880x1530, 353K)

its the idea that because we cant possibly know until we take a measurement, the cat is both dead and alive until the measurement is taken.

>taking analogies seriously

the point is that the thingy shoot from blue box is wave when not look at. so could be shoot or not shoot untill we peek at it. the yellow box will transfer this unknown wave thing's properties into the hammer and beaker and kill/hug the kitty

Quantum mechanics states that the cat is quite literally alive and dead simultaneously, not that we don't know.

There is a whole branch of physics dedicated to this presumption

kity no

Attached: f03.jpg (225x225, 9K)

The point is that the state only becomes definite when you observe it.

how the fuck did atom and quarks gain sentience?

the cat example is really roundabout and was written at a time when people expressed ideas differently.
a quantum "state" is not identical to the way you'd use the word state to describe if a cup is full or empty. rather, its a possible form of a wavefunction, a complete quantum mechanical description of something.
the cat's quantum state exists as a superposition of life and death because a single quantum state can not be assigned to something until it has been observed. similarly, flipping a coin and covering it with a box before it landed would result in the coin being in a superposition of heads or tails up with a 1/2 probability on each.
|ψcoin〉=1/2|ψhead〉+1/2|ψtail〉

the cat experiment is only a story meant to convey how unintuitive the postulates os quantum mechanics are (google: quantum mechanics postulates)
In short, there are differential equations describing physical phenomena which satisfy a linear property, i.e. any linear combination of solutions is also a solution.
The cat example is just that, but applied in a bigger scale, meant to tease your brain to think about superimposed solutions where you wouldn't normally expect them, because QM is a bitch like that.
Schrodinger's equation also satisfies that property about linear combinations of solutions, but instead of simply describing measurable physical quantity, it describes probability density in time, from which you can derive shit like location, speed, etc.

Is the best explanation you're going to get. The cat isn't literally both alive and dead, and the object in question doesn't literally know that you're observing it.

>coin
>macroscopic object having quantum state
>maybe if I type ψ they'll believe me
kek

its an example to show the existence of two possible states. if i'd written spin-up or spin-down it would be just as valid, except the explanation of how such a state came to be would definitely be too much for you.

>too much for you
projecting

This guy knows it.
And a wild misconception here is the cat died because you looked and the wave function 'collapsed'. This misconception is among the physics graduates too. Which is wrong. It simply is that we don't know what happened to the cat before we observe it. So it can be anything. It could've transformed to a lion, who knows. But to really know, we have to observe. The result of observation is hidden untill we actually observe. Nothing mysterious here. And then some fags developed 'hidden variable' theory which is utter misconception of this example.

hidden variable theory is an attempt to understand quantum entanglement, and the best part is it turns out there aren't even any

The cat is actually alive and dead until observation collapses it into one or the other. If it was simply a question of "well we don't know what's in the box until we look at it", then it's really not much a topic for debate.

Exactly, that's my point.

OP ignore everything above this post.
In the quantum world, probabilities can be negative!
I know, right!
Cheers.

Attached: interfere.gif (347x239, 5K)

The absolute state of this gay universe

it's a metaphor for quantum mechanics, it's not actually true

THE CAT IS LITERALLY BOTH ALIVE AND DEAD AT THE SAME TIME
EVEN AN IDIOT CAN SEE THAT THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE
QUANTUM MECHANICS IS RETARDED AND SHRODINGER WAS A FOOL

>Quantum mechanics states that the cat is quite literally alive and dead simultaneously, not that we don't know.
No. The whole idea of the Scholmo's cat is to demonstrate how ridiculous that shit is, but then some idiots under the donut Krueger effect mistook it for an actual thing and parroted it to sound intellectuals. The whole point of the experiment is that it literally doesn't work that way.

>Scholmo's cat
Schrodinger was a zoo?

well Alfreb Einstime believed in god and never met Mike "theGrass" Tyson or Stove Hackwing who said no its a simulation on a turttle

Donger's cat was to show how fucking dumb quantum kekkeroni was

>a fucking JEW killed an innocent cat for a retarded nigger tier experiment

can we please exterminate all jews already?

based and white

Alive and Dead are binary choices. The cat can be only one of the two. Both choices are equally probable. Its the basis of a multiple choice question.

>I dont understand how this can be a question.

Congratulations, you are dumb!

Thanks user, it's been about 6 years since the last time I touched qm but it was still fun.

It's a thought example, not a literal experiment.

You might be right that quantum mechanics is a bunch of bollocks user, it certainly seems to be. I also did not believe it and I still have my doubts.

There are some succesfull experiments floating around in the internet that prove some aspects of quantum mechanics.

So it's hard to say.

Try it and see for yourself, then.

Interaction is observation, observation is interaction.

>both alive and dead with equal validity until we actually look at it
just a funny way of saying "we don't know if the cat is dead or alive".

/thread

he really isn't and you're trying to sound smart but come off as insecure as a result.

>quantum mechanics is sitting here being one of the best theories in describing the universe we have
>some user in Jow Forums has doubts
Whelp, better just throw that shit out.

why a cat though?

basically it doesn't get rendered until you look at it

why didn't dinger just put a webcam in the box and livestream the result on facebook?

checkmate scientists

>It's either dead or alive
That's the fucking point, Schrödinger's cat is supposed to be a fucking analogy to the PARADOX that is quantum uncertainty.

Because fuck cats

Attached: doge-flip.gif (210x210, 453K)

Because then you're making an observation.

Schindler's list clearly states a jew can be both dead and alive inside an oven.

quantum mech states that the thing inside the box be it a cat or your gf ****CAN BE BOTH****dead and alive since we dont know untill we actually LOOK at it

lets just say i kidnap you and slam you inside a trunk and leave you there
untill the police finds you (you will prob be dead but anyways)you will either be dead or alive

Untrue, the trunk emits smell and sound that could be picked up by anyone. There is no laboratory-true scenario.

Redpilled, and based too.

One of the key points of Schrodinger's cat is that he uses radioactive decay as the mechanism for triggering the poison.
When exactly decay will occur is not known. You know how much something will decay in a given time but not exactly WHEN that decay will occur in advance.
This is why you can say the cat has the duality of being both alive and dead, because at any point before you know decay must have taken place there is uncertainty.

The ovens offer none of this uncertainty.

It's just retard physics niggers acting like they know how cats work.