Converting cassettes to digital

So I bought a cassette player and am looking to convert a bunch of old music and radio shows into digital files. I'm familiar with the basics of it, but is there anything I should keep in mind or make sure to do to guarantee the best audio quality or something I should do to the audio files after converting them to digital?
If anyone has some recommendations for stereo amps for it, feel free to give them as well.

Attached: Compactcassette.jpg (2000x1300, 1003K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P00QS3lXJeI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IT depends on 2 things the quality of the cassette player and the audio jacks you're using.

After extablishing the quality of those you can do 2 extra things.

Get a Jack to 2 Mono jacks so you can record both in Stereo for maximum Placebo.
And use decent DAC instead of your onboard ,probably Realtek, DAC for maximum quality.

However I have found both of these measures to be prohibitively expensive unless doing large scale conversions of tapes as it would be cheaper overhaul to buy most of them in digital format if available.

Attached: kanecaptioned_671.png (504x577, 239K)

you don't need to do much. just stuff the line out into your computer and record. i personally wouldn't do much to the audio files once they're recorded, with exception to editing and volume of course. trying to do too much shit like noise filtering and whatever will do more harm than good if you're not sure what you're doing. and no, you don't need some bullshit external meme DAC.
> And use decent DAC instead
> probably realtek
> PROBABLY
shut the fuck up, retard. take your cancer back to /mu/ where it will be laughed at even harder.

do multiple passes and then combine for best quality

It seems you can't detect hyperbole where it's used.

Attached: 14431orig.jpg (1440x1080, 147K)

Cassettes are superior to digital files
record your older tapes onto other tapes and make physical copies so your originals can survive for longer

>inb4 vinyl shills show up

>I have found both of these measures to be prohibitively expensive unless doing large scale conversions of tapes as it would be cheaper overhaul to buy most of them in digital format if available.
this, op. download soulseekqt and look for songs you want and the ones you can't find rip from cassettes.

thanks for the replies

>this, op
a lot of what I have is pretty rare to find on CDs and not available at all on any peer-to-peer sharing platforms, that's why I want to preserve them

Cassettes are possibly becoming the next vinyl. I guess it's because it's portable analog audio.

>Cassettes are possibly becoming the next vinyl.
they did become the next vinyl, back in the 80's

>when you inherit your dad's old Roy D Mercer cassette collection
cherish it OP
cherish it.

I mean as far as retro throwback goes. People are starting to buy cassettes again.

>People are starting to buy cassettes again.
why the fuck
is this a zoomer thing? i grew up with cassettes, and i'm glad i don't have to touch one again
don't get me wrong, i understand nostalgia, but there's a difference between say, playing a super nintendo game (which is a unique experience not objectively replaceable by anything else), and using cassette tapes, which are nothing more than an obsolete audio medium, with objectively-better-in-every-way replacements, such as solid-state flash recorders/players

have you even heard the side by side comparisons between a solid metal tape recording and some shit compressed garbage 92kbps you'll find on most of Jow Forums's totallynotbotnet phones?
if you just listen you'll be shocked by what you hear.

Well as I said I think part of it is because portable analog.

> is this a zoomer thing?
Yes, like vinyl. That Guardians of the Galaxy literally-who in a leather jacket uses Walkman, so their target audience (=kids) bought into it.

>why the fuck

It is mostly a mix between nostalgia hype and marketing but also:
Humans enjoy variations tones. Modern music usually gets digitally produced and if the artist is shitty, it's really sterile in a way. Analog mediums naturally add variations that are often perceived with a feeling of nostalgia. Hence why you also hear a lot of those pseudo 80s synth productions got added annoying amounts of pitch variations (they want to go for maximum nostalgia but have no idea what they're doing).

Attached: 1497438172200.jpg (463x438, 61K)

Some day we're gonna have a bunch of double zoomers talking about how great VHS tapes are and how we should all go back to watching long movies on 3 god damned separate tapes. This will eventually be our reality. It's inevitable. We've become so niggered that we must regress into the past as we progress into the future so as to balance out the universe.

We have become the wise old injun.

that's a very one-sided comparison
for one, high quality tape and players were absolutely not the norm, if it's for nostalgia purposes, then getting high quality tape and expensive-at-the-time dolby S players and shit is pretty much defeating the purpose, it won't sound anything like they did when you were a kid
and for two, garbage 96kbps mp3's are garbage, yeah, what are you trying to prove here?
you're putting the best of one side against the worst of another

the funniest part is that i grew up with cassette tapes, yet even i'm younger than the CD. the only reason i use cassettes were because i was a poorfag who recorded music from the radio rather than buying cd's

That day is already here.

youtube.com/watch?v=P00QS3lXJeI

I still use DVDs but I also still have my vcr and vhs tapes but man can it be hard to look at ona modern tv now. Probably would have to use a CRT. And we do have a hell of a nostalgia boner for CRTS on Jow Forums.

Behold

Attached: laserdisc.jpg (1200x800, 645K)

that's a big optical disc

Don't these have bad laser rot problems?

We had a data backup system back in the 90's that stored compressed data on high quality cassettes forgot who made it. One of the engineers tried storing music format on it CD to Tape. It worked but it was good only for storage you could not copy a audio CD directly onto a cassette and then pop the tape into your car tape player.

Oh and I forgot disc rot too.

I still have a huge library of old DVDs taking up space on a shelf
most of the VHS tapes I still have are old documentaries that you can't get in any other format that are too good to throw out

pearls of wisdom for all you zoomers out there who do decide to make zoomer babies: don't throw out the machine that lets mama watch baby's first steps on video when he/she's all grown up

What about D-VHS?

>waiting for minidisc comeback

I think I still have my baby tape which while doesn't have first steps but it basically has my first birthday. Man was the house so different than what it looks like now inside.

yep
laseerdisc isn't coming back
it's analog down to every part except the laser and almost all the discs have some sort of age artifacting on the screen when you try to watch them

How about the other way
What's the best way to put mp3s on cassettes

*blocks your path*

Attached: betamax.jpg (782x493, 123K)

none of the benefits with ALL of the drawbacks

Though couldn't they record digital broadcasts without having to worry about copy protection?

Buy a $10 or so chinese player off ali with usb out.
Plug into your computer, record with audacity.

Nothing else needed.

i still have betamax vcr. it won't roll the tape so i guess all the greases are dryed.

The best way is never doing that. If you really must operate some legacy cassette driver, use an adapter cassette that takes its audio from your smartphone or mp3 player.

Have tape player
Use 3.5mm jack
Output into computer mic jack
Record using audacity
Profit

Oh hi.
>it's analog down to every part
False. The video is an analog composite signal, however the audio on most LaserDiscs is 44.1KHz 16 bit uncompressed digital PCM audio, just like a CD. Some newer discs even have AC-3 or DTS 5.1 soundtracks.
>almost all the discs have some sort of age artifacting on the screen when you try to watch them
False. Disc rot affects less than 1% of all discs ever produced. Sadly this is still a sizeable amount.

Attached: IMG_20180808_232809.jpg (2560x1920, 1.75M)

Use a good adc and record it at a sampling rate of 48kHz/16, save it as FLAC/wav. Could you share some?

>videodrome
Top tier taste

Personally, I exclusively listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd on 8 track tapes.

I like having non-battery powered media in my car and the car I just bought only has cassette.

I would change the radio in the car but everything I find looks like alien rainbow bullshit.

>listening to music from shitty artist
Max fucking retard. And it's not like you can't add that muh vintage feel through digital means. Casettes are blight upon fucking earth and I'm glad we're done with them. If I see ONE goddamn retard shilling for VHS I swear I will fucking kill him on the spot.

If the audio sounds dull you can adjust the tape head azimuth, it can make a huge difference.

notOP but yeah this is another factor, the fact that old cars only have cassette decks. Usually people get the aux adapter cassettes but I can see why some people would rather just use the deck itself.

>warps
>degrades with use
>has to be rewound
>might play back at the wrong speed or fluctuate
>needs noise reduction which sounds awful
yeah well superior to digital. I was glad to throw my audio cassettes away. are you a zoomer by any chance?

Use superior Nippon Technics tape player and avoid clipping

Attached: da2b9200059da4da20c9787287a4b8be.jpg (1583x1151, 213K)

>not even Hi-Vision