What to do with this?

Sharp PC-8660 from 1994
Intel 486 DX2 running at 50 MHz
4 MB Ram (proprietary extension to 16 MB possible)
1.44 MB Floppy
External CD-ROM via parallelport possible (I have it)
Currently running MS-DOS 6.22 with Windows for workgroups 3.11

Attached: IMG_20190123_143748.jpg (1600x1200, 1.62M)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/
tldp.org/HOWTO/text/4mb-Laptops
archive.org/details/microsoft-ms-dos-6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Play Catacomb Abyss

Windows but no mouse... that's a yikes

I will buy it from you for a dollar

The original trackball module (clips on to the front where the ps2 port is) is broken but I have an old ps2 mouse lying around that works.
I just didn't plug it in for the picture.

Put windows 10 on it and play Fortnite.

I tried to install a small Linux on it but minimum requirement for Linux is 16 MB Ram.
I could do it if I can get my hands on a memory extension module.
Unfortunately they used some proprietary shit for this so those modules are extremely hard to get today.

How about a puppy linux?

Fuck off, retard. That isn't what Puppy is for.

You should be able to get NetBSD to run on it. It just meets the minimum requirements.

Oh, look at this mighty linux wizard, why don't you tell me what distro would be good for this situation? I was just trying to help geez

Win 95?

lol no.
win 95 will never run on this. the required specs are way too high for that thing.

Sometimes Best Buy will let you trade in any laptop that boots for $25-$75

I'm in germany. no best buy here.

gaymes

Shut up baby dick

Attached: IMG_20190123_091805.jpg (1536x2048, 470K)

how much ram?

It's literally worthless except as a collectors item.

Linux won't run on that. Really nothing modern is gonna run on that. Even for NeXTSTEP or an old BSD you need 64MB to do anything interesting. For anything close to modern or useful you'll need 128MB.

Attached: 1510179490004.jpg (596x444, 72K)

Send it to LGR so he can play duke nukem on it.

Sell on eBay

can you pls upload parallel port CD ROM drivers somewhere?

I dont have Sharpe but another 486 laptop that uses parallel port CDROM and the drivers just may be somewhat universal

I am talking about MSDOS drivers of course

if you want to start up a linux with this for any reason (there is no sane reason for this) I suggest you try Slackware 8.1, it can be still found in internet despite it being almost 20 years old

I'm not 100% sure but it might work with 4MB RAM in purely text mode

Slackware 4 works certainly but it cannot be found anymore from internet

I used to have piece of shit laptop with similar specs and it ran win95, it was pretty damn slow but it did run.

It's just a calculator nowadays

>Official Windows 95 Minimum Requirements:
>Intel 386DX
>4MB RAM
It'll run, it just won't run well :^)

>Slackware 4 works certainly but it cannot be found anymore from internet

Hmm?

slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/

Puppy is way too bloated for this.
It's a 19 year old article, but this guy managed to get Linux running on his 4MB shitboxes.
tldp.org/HOWTO/text/4mb-Laptops

Linux in 4MB requires very old 2.x version of kernel. Any kernel from 2002 onwards will not function with 4MB no matter what but need 8MB as absolute minimum

>pr0gramm

gb2 German redd!t

>Gotta use old software if you wanna use old hardware
Wow! I would've never been able to guess that, user! I was expecting that HOWTO from March 2000 to cover Linux versions 2.6, 3.x, and 4.x.

>Fn in the bottom left corner
place it in the trash this instant

you misunderstood, I meant the article already covers too new Linux and you gotta find even older stuff, something from the year 1998 preferably

I know 386 support is completely gone from both Linux and GCC, I suspect 486es may also be wonky thanks to gradual stripping out of old drivers nobody remembers.

Attached: 60938913_p0.jpg (2507x3541, 2.99M)

>What to do with this?
Give it to me, ok!

archive.org/details/microsoft-ms-dos-6 its user's guide if you don't have a printed copy.

>I tried to install a small Linux on it but
Wtf, don't ruin it. Seriously.

Linux would not be good for this situation.

>Fur Workgroups
Wtf, the furries have workgroups now?

Install SimCity 2000. I actually have the windows 3.1 version of SimCity2000 if you want it. Its hard to find because its 16 bit.

Play DOS adventure games/rpgs you silly fuck. Adventure games are underrated.

>Jow Forumsentooman is wrong, S11E2^193784-1
"Runs" is too strong a word, but I did Win95 on a 486SX with 4MB - it did work.

Those specs are boring. Do you have another 386/486?
I'd sell the laptop and look for something more interesting.
Maybe some old manuals or an Apple II or something.

Attached: iapx-286-operating-system-writers-guide-1983.jpg (358x477, 34K)

Just download the Backpack drivers and hope they work.

Damn, your options are really limited, user.

Aside from MS-DOS, there is also a lot of old DOS and old UNIX versions.
FreeDOS is, well, a clone of MS-DOS, but I don't know if it would too heavy for it. You could try it, anyway.
Coherent is UNIX-like, and open source, and I am sure it will be compatible, because it's an OS from that era.
MINIX is also UNIX-like, and open source as well, but I think only the pre-2.0 versions would be compatible. Everything from the 2.X or 3.X families is way too new for that hardware.
MenuetOS (and it's only derivative distro, KolibriOS) are both lightweight options that are neither DOS nor UNIX, but I don't know how heavy they are. They are supposed to run on really shitty toasters, but I don't really know the requirements.
I remember QNX being extra lightweight and very compact (fits in a floppy disk) but I don't know anything about it. It was propietary, but I think you could download some demo or some version made for students, shit like that, but I don't know if it's the whole thing or not.

How are these metric pads called? The onne under that laptop?

Go to Winworld and load it full of whatever interesting looking shit you can find, play games, fuck around in general. Old systems that need a purpose are kickass opportunities to learn new things.
DX/2-50s were pretty standard fare especially in the entry level when 95 came out, I've got it running on DX-33s.
4 MB is pretty anemic but there's plenty of "useful" shit that can run on the hardware, just keep it contemporary. People used to blow five figures before inflation on systems that maxed out at half of that.

>those specs are boring
>buy a generic 6502 8-bit that doesn't even have sane mass storage options instead

Attached: 1535112977584.jpg (700x835, 157K)

>Intel 486 DX2 running at 50 MHz
SPEED OF CPU FROM MODERN COFFEMAKER

Attached: MEMORY_ALLOC.png (699x701, 269K)

why does your coffee maker have a central processing unit?

>le GAMES!!!

Cutting pads

>Intel 486 DX2 running at 50 MHz
>25MHz FSB
Disgusting and shameful.