Why don't they just do pre-rendered ray tracing?

Why don't they just do pre-rendered ray tracing?

Attached: 1047513-nvidia-unveils-quadro-rtx-worlds-first-ray-tracing-gpu.jpg (2553x1473, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightmap
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because ray-tracing SUCKS

Ray tracing doesnt suck Go check out that modded quake vid on youtube to see what its really capable of
The thing that does suck tho is the price of those rtx cards

Gotta have day/night cycles in your open world games

the problem with raytracing thou is rigged lights and baked shadows look just as good as it but rigging that many moving lights and baking shadows well takes time and labor.

the thing that will make raytracing become a standard if publishers start to use it to save dev cost then we make up for it by buying it.. but honestly I don't think that's going to happen I think publishers are still going to bake and rig lights on big games and only some indy stuff might "require" raytracing.

all the other shit like seeing reflections etc will have 0 gameplay effect as you can do same thing with another rendered viewport for the same performance loss.

so its success is really based on if big developers use it to save them dev costs. which they probably wont.

>look just as good
False

it does thou raytraced "lighting" can be achieved with rigged lights and baked shadows

the only exclusive feature of raytracing is reflections but even that can be achived with a separate viewport for the reflection but it has a similar 40% drop in performance and is harder to setup and rig than just turning raytracing on.

raytracing is only good as it can lower development costs but the cost to pay staff to rig heaps of lights and baked shadows to simulate a similar effect is prob only 100k if that which big games can eat to increase player base

honestly I would like raytracing to become standard because it will make it easier for small teams and indies to make nice looking games but I highly doubt it will and expect nvidia to drop RT cores from their gpus due to lack of use in 2024 or some thing.

Attached: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX TECHNOLOGY.jpg (2560x1440, 835K)

just as good I mean similar too to the common viewer. you can fake lighting that looks close to it which many games already do.

>Go check out that modded quake vid
We had raytraced Q2 for almost 15 years already.
Suddenly RTX becomes a thing and now it's a big woohoo for the zoomer crowd, literally murder yourself my man.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

>When the nVidia hired social media advertiser has no idea how to advertise on Jow Forums
This thread is quite pathetic. Kinda cute.

games have used prerendered raytracing for years its why games like BF4 don't have mod tools because they know fans will make some shitty level and not know how to use the prebaked lighting which requires you to raytrace the scene in 3dsmax and export its textures doing that requires some skill and you basically have to have architectural degree to do it properly so they don't release the tools as the playerbase will make shit ugly maps that reflect badly on the game.

if BF6 uses raytracing for all lighting its possible they could release mod tools again which would be nice.

but BF6 wont use raytracing for all lighting as only 5% of the playerbase will have RTX cards.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightmap

Unironically this. There's a reason Mirror's Edge still holds up graphically today. Too many games fell for the dumb "open world dynamic lighting" meme

We're going talking about ray tracing, not Nvidia's shitty "1 sample per pixel + blur" implementation of ray tracing.

That's no way to sell RTX cards

Yeah, who needs movement in games lmao.

:DDDD

>ray tracing
just a software

It limits how dynamic the environments can be, no day or light cycles, no good destruction etc

You can render many times and slowly progress them to get a day/night cycle to sync up with them.

>1 sample per pixel
You wish it was that much in BFV.
Even with q2vkpt's 4 samples per pixel we're at least over an order of magnitude (I'd say two, especially when you want the rays to bounce around) from necessary performance to even reach a 60 FPS slideshow. Something I'd consider worthy of a first generation product is at least good 5 years away.