What's the Best DE?

>Gnome is bloat
>KDE is bloat
>Mate is abandonware
>XFCE is abadonware
>i3wm is broken

Why can't someone just make a functional DE that isn't bloat?

Attached: tux_enhanced_penguin_linux_art-1979px.png (1979x2186, 880K)

And lxde is just shit

Unused RAM is wasted RAM

Because everything is bloat

Go suckless. Use dwm.

MATE. Best thing ever, no DE or wm can beat it

Seems like you have to wait for LXQt to mature.

I think so too I ran a live usb of lubuntu 18.10 and it was great besides all the bugs can't wait for the stable release to come

please explain how gnome and kde aren't completely bloated

Is it decent? Thinking about replacing my fedora install with lubuntu because I’m tired of waiting sixteen years for kde fedora to boot and want something lighter

currently switching to mate. It definitely has the best balance between functionality and bloat despite being a little buggy

I like it a lot. It's a lot more customizable than lxde and looks so much better. It added some modern stuff like an application search bar

Fedora also has an LXQt spin, although I'm not sure how well implemented it is compared to Lubuntu.

Got 10 year old Netbook ... Runs shit on Windows 7 with everything turned off. Install Fedora (Gnome) ... Runs fine now.
Gnome is not nearly such a resource hog as Jow Forums says, it's just not optimized to death like Openbox and such.

Kde takes a long time to boot, but it is actually not needed.
I just turn off the splash screen and I can use it right away.
Sure it might still be logging on to networks and such, but it shaves several seconds off the boot time.
And if that isn't enough, you can prevent it from launching applications you used last time by expanding the blacklist or turning it off completely.
I have 6-7 year old computers and they both boot really fast. My laptop is a lot faster than my desktop as the laptop screen turns on faster and the bios takes less time to load.

How is i3 broken?
Genuine question, I'm trying to pick new shit to spice up my stuff.

Openbox is a VM, you can use it with or without gnome.

Xfce and KDE. Xfce if you need something simple that just works, KDE if you want features.
GNOME is heavy on CPU/GPU, Mate is basically GNOME-mini.
Xfce isn't abandoned, the project gets monthly updates.
KDE isn't bloated unless you're a minimalist-fag who doesn't want any features that you didn't manually add.

They are all shit.
You just select what kind of shit you will tolerate the most.

what's the general consensus on cinnamon?

Unironically unity.

It isn'.

best DE is Deutschland

>gnome
it's garbage
>kde
it's ok
>mate
it's ok
>xfce
it's ok
>lxde
it would be ok if it was finished

>Why can't someone just make a functional DE that isn't bloat?
Someone already did, user. It's called Lumina.

>Gnome is bloat
>KDE is bloat
>Mate is abandonware
>XFCE is abadonware
>i3wm is broken

FREETARDS BTFO ETERNALLY

Attached: 1548179160854.gif (540x540, 279K)

Wrong.

emacs

Is i3 really that bad? I want to try it

>>XFCE is abadonware
try again sweetie

XFCE isn't abandoned and it just works. What else do you want? If you want to stare at your monitor all day with the cool minimalist programs and floating images with anime girls just run dwm or i3 or something simiçar

There is literally nothing wrong with i3.

It falls into the "bloat" category. Doesn't get mentioned too often either way.

What about Trinity DE then?

Attached: tde-logo.png (125x124, 13K)

this

Cinnamon is horribly bloated. The normal install for it comes with a shit ton of extra programs. Like the full libreoffice suite, 8 games (??????), a torrent client and some other shit.

bloat, but not as bad as gnome

canonical have discontinued unity

This. An OS by definition is bloat.

This.

it's good actually

meanwhile let's take a look at some non-free alternatives
explorer is bloated AND broken
finder is homosexual
amazing

trinity is outdated, like a windows 3.1 stuff

Out of Unity, Cinnamon, or Gnome Shell, it's the best "version" of Gnome 3. The biggest problem with it is that you're stuck with Mint if you want to use it unless you're willing to put in a lot of time getting it to work on other distros. Also, most of the benefits that come from Cinnamon can also be had from using less-demanding DE's like Xfce.

there was Litestep a long time ago, but idk if it works on anything past Windows XP

iirc, cinnamon can be used from debian netinstall, but you're otherwise correct

litestep is gpl though, so it doesn't qualify as a non-free alternative

>Like the full libreoffice suite, 8 games (??????), a torrent client and some other shit.
That sounds more like a distro specific problem. But yes, Cinnamon is extremely bloated when it comes to resource usage.

>KDE isn't bloated unless you're a minimalist-fag who doesn't want any features that you didn't manually add.
/thread

Deepin wm

/thread

Attached: window maker.png (1366x768, 156K)

This + i3 is gud too

tell me about what i see (so i can be impressed)

Windows doesn't have this problem.

It has this and many more user

>using unsupported software
yikes, logging to your machine right now

Attached: okretard.jpg (247x204, 6K)

I dont think you know what an OS is, then

Attached: dont deny it.png (1920x1080, 1.7M)

Browsers often open up for the first time incorrectly sized. I get intermittent issues on a multi monitor setup where the desktop doesn’t boot to the correct size until I restart i3. Certain programs crash when switching between floating and tiled mode. Those same programs are usually slow to resize their windows too. Massive list of other bugs on their github

>Certain programs crash when switching between floating and tiled mode. Those same programs are usually slow to resize their windows too.
Examples?

this room gets chilly at night

>Browsers often open up for the first time incorrectly sized.
i get this as well, with firefox at least. not gonna switch wm over that lmao

t. poettering

Attached: download.jpg (3456x2304, 2.69M)

why yes, it's called dwm

Irrelevant, bloat is still bloat regardless of how much RAM it consumes

KDE Idling at ~500mb RAM is only an issue if you're using a toaster.

But i'm guessing you're actually going for the minimal autist definition of bloat which is 'Having any features whatsoever that i don't intend to use."

why should i waste resources? i agree that there's a limit where i should stop, but at the same time, i can't just let everything use whatever resources it wants for whatever reason without questioning it because it "just werks"

pic related. absolute mayhem

Attached: file.png (887x841, 72K)

500mb used with nothing open on my void install. comes with basic utilities but you need to add things which makes it minimalistic kinda, at least the one packaged with void. it's comfy as fuck if you're coming from windows 7.

If your IQ is more than 70 i would chose DWM

>.exe

Xfce not abandoned, i3wm not broken. You're a retard.

Chances of winblows dropping w10 all together and just making a bsd fork with explorer.exe?
They already gave up on ie and edge (RIP).

>XFCE abandonware
>i3wm broken
You're fucking stupid
Just use dwm, if it's broken you can go into the source code and fix it yourself

Attached: 1542206368016.jpg (678x1024, 75K)

>Gnome
Unusable bloat
>KDE
Usable bloat
>XFCE
Usable and refined over years, which is confirmed by fact, that they don't update it.
>LXQT
Usable, yet too raw.

Can someone port ReactOS Explorer to X11/Oy-wei-land? It would be 10/10 boomer DE

>bsd
bsd because linux would force them to make the os opensource?

Because retards think that it's either "user friendly" and bloated
or it's "minimal" and cannot include anything to make your life easier.

In my opinion the way to solve this issue is, ironically, to NOT fall into one of these extreme camps and actually look at the problem from the perspective of "The Unix Way".
"The Unix Way" to solve the problem is to create universal configurator software which runs simple menu declaration files that any distro can expand on or reduce, and its user interface is interchangeable (can optionally run with simple CLI I/O, or simple CLI ncurses, or even full GTK/Qt menus), and the user can install or not-install any of these various components. So if someone doesn't want GUI's then they just don't install that component and can stick with only the CLI menus.
Also, as an example of menu components it would be up the developers of different pieces of software to include these menu declarations. So for instance, whoever maintains fontconfig could also maintain a simple text file describing the menu entries so users could enable/disable fontconfig files from a menu instead of fucking around with symlinks.

That way you create a standard menu hierarchy that both "bloat" and "minimalist" users can install and have a common simple "user friendly" way to configure the system regardless of whether you want a full DE with menus or not. It would end up being just a standard and simple, extensible, tool on any GNU/Linux machine.

In my opinion that's the ONLY way to solve this problem. It's the only way to create a unified hierarchy of "user friendly" ways to configure your system.
Anything else is just perpetuating the issue and keeping different DE's fragmented from each other and fragmented from the "minimalist" users.
And if you had something like this then any WM could effectively feel as "user friendly" as a full DE but with simple CLI menus in a standard layout.

But it'll never happen because
>muh minimalism/bloat internet wars

>pic related. absolute mayhem
Comparing Windows and Linux for questionable resource usage is like comparing decapitating someone to stepping on their shoe.

.com

I thought the unity team was still plugging away.

LXDE

I read the dwm manual but I didn't found an option to reset dwm like on i3. Someone knows how?
I mean to recompile and load the new compiled binary with the same windows.

Well meme'd

KDE Uber Alles

Attached: desktops.png (3120x1520, 202K)

>Browsers often open up for the first time incorrectly sized.
Browser fault, not i3.

If you want the yellow chink rod deepin ur ass.

You're onto something good.

My first Linux DE was a gnome on ubuntu it was shit, made me hate Linux.
After that I switched to KDE Plasma and I really enjoy it, but now I think I will try out Deeping it looks amazing, but have to try it

Deepin*

Be a man and use TWM

Attached: file.png (1024x768, 227K)

xfce is basically perfect but i miss the W7/10 taskbar too much so i'm stuck with gnome + dash to panel

Screw full DEs. Just grab Openbox or your tiling WM of choice and supplement it with exactly what you need and nothing more.

Windows Explorer

Deepin Desktop Environment

>Gnome is bloat
>KDE is bloat

true

>>Mate is abandonware
>>XFCE is abadonware
>>i3wm is broken

stupid menes

>KDE is bloat

Memory usage after startup is 400-500 MB. What's this bloat you speak of?

this
and we're hoping someone picks up Unity, it was a good DE to help me with my graphic art.

My current favorite DE is lxqt. It's easy to use and lightweight

I like GNOME and hate KDE. What's wrong with me? Am I stuck like this forever?