I'm bored gaming Jow Forums. I've decided I'm going to learn how to code...

I'm bored gaming Jow Forums. I've decided I'm going to learn how to code. What's the easiest code to learn and is Linux a requirement?

Attached: 1548212228707.jpg (750x752, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

schoolfreeware.com/Free_Pascal_Tutorials.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Try the web development general thread

Thank you

learn ARM64 assembly.
make the first smartphone OS that isn't shit.

assembler is perfect for you

Attached: ss_12036337fe569dee7853cdd275808b49c0f7339d.1920x1080.jpg (1024x768, 454K)

Agreed

Python is a good starting point, and Linux is not a requirement for programming, it just makes programming easier. I would recommend learning one at a time though if you are thinking of using Linux.

Honestly? Start with WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) website programming. It doesn't have to be php or shit like that.
Make the computer do stuff until you get comfortable and demystify programming, and move on to python.

Oh yeah and linux is only a requirement if you're working on projects with multiple dependencies. It's just easier to pull them in in Linux.

> it just makes programming easier
It only makes using python and other high level languages easy because they have package managers.

Using C# or Java for example is best done on Windows. The OS you use is really quote irrelevant in the long run.

schoolfreeware.com/Free_Pascal_Tutorials.html

Step one is to decide on a starting point you want and what direction you want to learn in.

All programming languages are basically the same but they have different use cases and thus there is no "best" or "easiest" to learn.
And linux is not a requirement, but it makes some things easier.

Say your aim is to learn programming well enough to make an AI that play a game, but you want to take a simple puzzle game to start with, I would suggest that you learn a regular programming language like C++ or python.

If you want to make something information related, I would suggest starting with JS and learn web tools.

If you want a more hardware level approach, I would start with C and then set lower expectations of what the program should do.

I teach programming on a university, so ask away.

at a*
Fuck.

Not OP but Cfag here. How do I learn not to hate modern meme language frameworks and learn them as a hobby?
Let's say javascript, I heard you can make anything from websites to mobile apps on it. Can I make android apps with it? How?

Like others have said Linux is not a requirement per say, it just makes things easier but imo
Linux is a requirement, so most games won't work and distract you.
Linux is a requirement, because programmers are supposed to know enough about computers to understand how Linux is superior.
Would you trust a clueless windows faggot to create a program or a linux nerd?
I'm still a college student but I already view programmers who use windows as lesser. Why because they obviously are not smart or inquisitive enough to realize how Linux is better. A computer is supposed to be a programmer's life, and he doesn't even know what is the best OS? Sorry but I'm gonna pass.

I think just like anything else, you set goals and stick to that over learning
I have never written android apps, so my google is as good as yours, but basically, you take a library to make the app, then you start with "something you know" how should be.
Js is really easy to learn when you have a C/assembler background.
Websites are basically a micro controller with no OS. And I say assembler instead of C because you don't have loops in Js, you setup a timer interrupt that calls the function.

God so much angst and impotence. Linux is literally just a kernel. There's nothing you can program in windows that you can't program in linux.

My advice is to learn Java. Linux is not a requirement, but it is awesome anyway.

Setting aside the superiority issues let me ask you a few questions.

Why would you use windows if you are a programmer?
Don't you wanna tinker with your OS?
Don't you wanna learn?
Don't you wanna view the source code of the kernel and the various programs you are running?
Don't you wanna contribute?

No?
Then obviously you do not love computers. You are just in it because of the meme and the money.
This says a lot about your ethics and priorities.

>just works and gets out of the way
>been there, done that. unproductive.
>you can only learn by reading books. experimentation is slow and inefficient.
>been there, done that. literally uninteresting unless I have a goal set to contribute
>sure I do but I have much to study still

>you're just a scared college student and in no position of authority. sit down and shut up

Suck my dick grampa.

assembler is easy too

Attached: game.png (614x303, 11K)

This is just false. I have met brilliant people who use windows and retarded people who use linux; it is not an indicator that mean anything.

It is easier to program on linux. Doing things that make your life easier may be a smart thing, but other things are easier on windows.

I don't use windows myself, but it is not that hard to argue for it:
>Why would you use windows if you are a programmer?
Not all programmers spend all their time writing.
Some spend a lot of time organizing people below them, setting up meetings etc.
Skype + outlook are very good applications for this that we don't really have good alternatives to.
>Don't you wanna tinker with your OS?
No, this is a bad use of anyones time.
I don't tinker with my work setup, anything I setup has been tinkered with at home.
>Don't you wanna learn?
Learn what? What if something should also work on windows? How many linux users learn enough about windows to make the needed information or support available.
>Don't you wanna view the source code of the kernel and the various programs you are running?
Not if it isn't related to the work you are doing.
How much do you do this when you are using linux?
>Don't you wanna contribute?
Not if it isn't related to the work you are doing.

Lol the absolute state of dumb college kids

>What if something should also work on windows? How many linux users learn enough about windows to make the needed information or support available.
Boom, hit the nail on the head.

> you can only learn by reading books. experimentation is slow and inefficient.
> setting up meetings
> Not if it isn't related to the work you are doing.
Lol are you guys intentionally trying to make me spill my coffee from laughing.
I rest my case. No use arguing with shills or tards. I do not even need to argue you are practically digging your own graves and anybody with an ounce of sense can see this.

I literally work on vehicular embedded systems for a living. My team has multiple contributions to the linux kernel.
What are your qualifications again?

Windows is fine.

I did development on windows for a long time using just JS, then I started using ruby and it was pretty rough, but it worked well enough to get by, after a while I got fed up and switched to linux.

You can always use things like docker or WSL to avoid problems.

buy a thinkpad and install the gayest linux distro you can find, like Arch. there you go. you're set for life.

this but unironically

My qualifications include not being retarded enough to think that posting a job title in an anonymous board has any sense at all.

I asked my boss why he used windows, Outlook was his answer.
I can see why he doesn't want to use the online interface.

Reading source code of applications you are running, but not developing is a waste of time for most programmers.
I run linux on all my machines, but I rarely pull out source code of something and I only do it when there is a bug that stops me from getting stuff done.

Yep that about wraps up all youre worth.

Whatever you say Mr. I brag about my job description on Jow Forums.
Good luck setting up the chairs for your linux using coworkers.

I hope your breaks fail as you're driving but I remember I'm too good.

As a programmer it is best for you to learn every popular systems in use, not just Linux-like, so you can code for them. Popular OS's can run popular programs == money, money == development

>implying C# and Java aren't high-level

>you do not love computers
thank god

Lower than Python.

The more I have learned about computers, the more I have started to hate everything about them.
I mean, it is cool what we have managed to do with them, but I spend as much time I can away from them. I use a compas and a map over a gps any day, I write stuff down on paper or a text file over some huge complicated system. I often go weeks without my phone and vacations are almost always completely without computers.
Just because my job involves computers and I know how to write software doesn't mean I love computers and neither should it.

>What's the easiest code to learn
Emacs Lisp. I'm dead serious.
>and is Linux a requirement?
Nope. But it's better to get acquainted with it anyway.

play ExaPunks