Mpv thread, because I have some questions and you may have some answers

mpv thread, because I have some questions and you may have some answers

1) How to load a custom video stream (waifu picture) if there's none available (audio-only files)?
2) Why `mp.add_timeout` crashes my "script"? Is there any other way of calling a method asynchronously?
> what script
I edited osc.lua to make it resolve titles using youtube-dl.
It's dumb, it's out-of-place but it works.. Here's the part I added / modified. Line 49 on pastebin is where my problem lays. pastebin.com/Sngktgzz
3) Why some elements are drawn one on top of the other and some cancel the others? Example: toggle stats and then click on the title.

Attached: 1545914488463.png (1920x1080, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts
pastebin.com/BTaBL5wy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just use the 0.23 from the Debian stable distro without any tweaking and cmus for music. Why complicate? Both work fine with my Intel video and sound card on the laptop.

>Why complicate?
I thought that's the main reason you'd choose mpv over any other media player. You can make it your own. I have made many modifications so far and there's no way I'd use any other player at this point.
>cmus for music
Yeah, mpv is not my dedicated music player, but it's comfy for listening to whatever I find on the internet due to it's youtube-dl integration.

I don't really understand the third one, no clue about the second. The first is easy do it the other way around, and mpv displays the art embedded in audio files automatically. There are ways of getting the thumbnail for streams, I'll see if I can find the method. I suppose a script or recompiling would do if you just want a picture to display when there is no video stream.

I'm not sure what you're after with the third question; the OSC is simple, so it comes with a few flaws. You might want to look into alternatives (like here github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts ) I personally turn it off and use progressbar.

>the main reason is customization
Heeeeeellllll no. The main reason for me and many others is that it offers playback superior to all other players OOTB and can be made further better as a *bonus*. The next reason would be that on top of being the highest quality immediately, recource usage is yet tiny.
I hate that people hone is on the customization "autism" cause MPV is superior to other players in so many other ways without requirement for any fidling, where as I have to fiddle with other players immensely just to get them to match stock MPV.

I wrote a 'music mode' script that keeps chapters / playlist entries and controls on the screen when enabled. When it's running, I can't read stats or see what volume level I'm currently in because it overlaps.

Yeah, if you want that much info at once on the screen, you're gonna need either a custom osc or make/edit one to suit your tastes. The link I gave you has a few that might interest you (ctrl+f 'osc-style' among others), I suppose you can at least use them as a reference.
I very much agree that it isn't the main reason, but customization is still a very strong point of mpv. The people who cry "autism" are just brainlets/baby ducks.

vid related
the noticeable lag in displaying next playlist entries is due to resolving title synchronously, later in the video you can see the issue with "music mode" enabled and trying to do anything using osc.
My auto-osc-visibility script with music mode. pastebin.com/BTaBL5wy

Attached: 1535453022936.webm (1280x720, 1.19M)

Holy shit, that video quality. HIROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm taking the mpv pill. But I'm normie AF and all those grains dynamic, static... feel like snakeoil to me.
I also can't tell by my eyes one interpolation from another.
Should I even bother beside keybindings?

um who gave you permission to post my gf

my wife ruri did

Attached: 1522997182477.png (1920x1080, 796K)

what's the syntax of these variables in osc.lua?
local osc_styles = {
bigButtons = "{\\blur0\\bord0\\1c&HFFFFFF\\3c&HFFFFFF\\fs50\\fnmpv-osd-symbols}",
smallButtonsL = "{\\blur0\\bord0\\1c&HFFFFFF\\3c&HFFFFFF\\fs19\\fnmpv-osd-symbols}",

Like with most performance intensive settings in programs/games/whatever, don't use it if you can't tell the difference. You might not even need gpu-hq if you only watch video from great sources. I personally can tell the difference between some tscales, as well as interpolation itself being on or off. Just start blank or a few basics and add stuff as you need.

>I personally can tell the difference between some tscales
OP strikes again. Everything works great (60 fps content included), but apparently I'm having solid video issues when playing livestreams from twitch (and twitch only). Stopping the compositor / going fullscreen doesn't help.
My display is 59.95 hz (dell ultrameme), gpu is vega 56.
profile=gpu-hq
gpu-context=x11egl
vo=gpu
hwdec=vdpau
dscale=gaussian
sigmoid-upscaling=no
interpolation=yes
video-sync=display-resample
tscale=oversample

Any idea why is that?
>inb4 why gaussian dscale
igv said it's good for SSimDownscaler, and I use this shader (alongside with SSimSuperRes)

I believe mitchell to be better for SSimDownscaler (and just overall) now, but anyway: I too remember having a similar problem with twitch when I watched it way back. Are you getting dropped/delayed frames?

Nope. And the video looks absolutely horrible, like frames being played in random order or something.

Attached: 1534075145807.png (1210x271, 341K)

nah man
mpc-hc/Madvr masterrace
sorry ruri poster

>ike frames being played in random order or something.
Can't relate to that. Is your youtube-dl up to date? You can easily install it from its site with two commands listed. Most distros don't have a bleeding edge version.

standard libass

I'm bleeding all over the edge building mpv and youtube-dl daily.

BUT CAN YOU DO THIS?
>vid related
watch at 4x speed, because I have ye olde adsl connection

Attached: 1530294424272.webm (1280x720, 749K)

>shit tier waifu
>streaming torrent files
>jojo's bizarre adventure
do you happen to use windows, discord and google chrome too?

Yeah his name is Joe and he's a massive faggot

>hwdec=vdpau
>windows
Also, Ruri is fucking great you piece of shit. Jojo is fine.

>>shit tier waifu
i bet you prefer kirino, cuck
>>streaming torrent files
>he adds torrents manually, waits for them to finish download (not an issue if your connection is any decent, I must admit) and then manually opens them in video player
do yourself a favor and learn literally any scripting language
>>jojo's bizarre adventure
i picked whatever torrent from nyaa to demonstrate you a feature, but yes, I do enjoy watching jojo
>do you happen to use windows, discord and google chrome too?
that's 3 times no

well, i'm OP so being a faggot is given

Yeah I know, she's my waifu. And I hate every ironic weeb posting her

the problem is still a (TORRENT)
and seriously only new torrents have good seeders to keep up
oh and wait seriously man
why streaming in the first place ?

>the problem is still a (TORRENT)
What's wrong with torrents?
>and seriously only new torrents have good seeders to keep up
true, but I intended to use it for seasonal anime anyways
>why streaming in the first place ?
Why not. I initially made this setup to watch anime in better quality while not giving up the ability to watch it as it goes, without waiting for the full download. But nowadays my connection is so bad that even shitty 200mb rips take hours to download, so whatever.

well i also have a big shit internet but guess what I actually don't stream very often
downloads still leads to better quality for eyes
but its okay if you think streaming torrents better

Explain to me how watching torrent as it downloads is worse than first downloading it and then watching.

SEEDERS
while streaming normally is actual direct connection to server or something
poor connectivity to seeders can lead to frustrating shit

Yeah, no. Since mpv has cache-bar or how it's called, you can actually see what parts of the video have already downloaded. Also, there's almost always more than one seeder.

i said POOR CONNECTIVITY TO SEEDERS
i hope you understand what that means

this, I don't even know how to set left and right keyarrow to 5 seconds instead of 10

RIGHT no-osd seek 5
LEFT no-osd seek 5 in input.conf.