Using any window manager other than dwm

>using any window manager other than dwm
Why do people do this?

Attached: dwm_screenshot_30_11_07_by_phra0k_d16agbg.png (1280x1024, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dwm#Crashes_due_to_Emojis_in_some_fonts
hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib
youtu.be/70IxjLEmomg
xmonad.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>X11
Bloated as fuck. If you actually want something minimal, you're going to want to use Wayland.

Attached: 1547987422789.jpg (622x647, 75K)

Based.

Because I like the easier, more flexible ways to configure my awesome WM.

I'm not missing anything from dwm either, and yea, my computer can handle running 1MB or so worth of lua code without me noticing.

>Wayland
Bloated as fuck. Graphical computing is for simpletons, TTY is all you need.

I wish I looked like that.

Nice fonts and colour scheme; which are they?
I'm permanently switching colour schemes, dissatisfied with all of them :/

Attached: 1494787730437.png (820x820, 21K)

(((black on white))) monochrome maximum contrast vt100 theme with `xsetroot -solid white` as the wallpaper. You'll never concern yourself with petty matters such as theme again.

>thinking you can rice dwm
We get it. You think featureless software equates to minimalism. Just stay out of our desktop threads, okay?

Attached: 1520511940226.png (1366x768, 1.56M)

I really don't know.
I guess their time is worthless.

Attached: file.png (561x171, 2K)

>caring about your WM or DE
Why do people do this?

>you can't rice dwm
...but you can?

because they're not retards

Autistically. If low SLOC and small file sizes are your priority, aesthetics isn't on your mind. Retain yourself to being productive, not claiming you "riced" dwm.

Who the fuck cares about "rice" kys you fucking nigger.

>using anything other than what I use
lmao scrubs

Agree, i3 is the only sane wm to use

The way dwm handles tiling is really nice and efficient, and I greatly prefer it to i3. Being lightweight and using very little resources is also a plus.
Unfortunately, having to edit the source code and applying patches for mere configuration is definitely too autistic, it would be nice to have a simple config file like any sane program.

Yeah, it's kinda autistic. Like seriously... how much overheard would adding support for parsing a config file add? I'm sure it's less than keeping the source files around.

Typical enraged featurelessfag jealous that their desktop looks like utter shit.

>graphical interface
bloat

>jealous of human garbage
ricers and gayymers should be gunned down in the street like the degenerates that they are.

yep, i3 ftw

Because I used xmonad which is like DWM but without the negatives of dwm

dwm has all I need by default, it's a wonderful wm

Attached: 2019-01-25_16:04:19.png (1920x1080, 857K)

look at all that productivity going on

fucking linux toddlers

This. The clock is especially impressive.

I would rather be childlike than a braindead slave like yourself. This is a board for hobbyists to talk about computers, some of them like to tinker with their computer. You're like someone on /o/ reprimanding people for lowering their cars as that will make it harder for them to drive to work, as though they can only have one car and use it only as a tool for their corporate overlords. Why don't you just go away?

Attached: IMG_20190124_103253.jpg (960x960, 128K)

because I use 2bwm

What irc client is that?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dwm#Crashes_due_to_Emojis_in_some_fonts
>open page with emoji on page title
>whole X session fucking crashes
>NOTABUG WONTFIX (tm)
yeah no thanks, I use i3 now

I tried using dwm but it freezes up for stuff like discord and Spotify. I'm not enough of a leet hax0r to only use command line programs.

>2019
>using shit that requires The Rootkit Formerly Know as X.org
>using a program that literally requires recompiling to be configured

I like dwm. Having a wm with a bunch of shit I don't use isn't for me. I press buttons and things happen immediately.

I have never had dwm freeze up when opening programs, in fact quite the opposite. Not sure why you'd have that issue.

My distro already comes with systemd and pulseaudio.
Using a slightly more bloated WM for convenience sake barely makes a difference.

anons suggest me a good wayland-based wm, i've heard about sway and way cooler,
which one is more stable and customizable?

>2018+1
>not using pic related

Attached: logo.png (554x229, 18K)

should begin with you

If only it got ported to Wayland an had a sane configuration method, it would be the ideal window manager.

>TTY
Bloated as fuck. Computing is for simpletons, Pen and paper is all you need.

user is sway fully wayland now? i heard that it used to be a x11 system

> Pen and paper
Fucking Bloat. Too much for scrubs. Anything in the floor should be enough.

you can run it with wayland only, but almost no apps will work. It runs xwayland by default so you can run X11 apps on wayland.

I use it
>tfw no tearing on youtube while scrolling with my Wayland enabled firefox nightly
Feels awesome man.

>floor
Fucking bloated. Your mind alone is need.

because blackbox exists. :)

truly. sway is the secret white man's society.

>my mind
Stupidly bloated. Just let other people use their minds to think for you.

e

because i want an actual floating window but want to change focus between it and the other tiled window

Actually based and redpilled, I don't give a fuck about the DE as long as it doesn't impede my TTYing and excessive backgrounding of processes + the usage of a browser

write a patch

Because i3 is better

but what about EXWM

People in /o/ bitch about stanced cars all the time.

>bloated
>waste time rearranging windows all the time
Yep, sure it's better.

you can do that with default dwm?

Attached: output.webm (1920x1080, 1.78M)

irssi.

>can't program
>installs suckmore programs so he has something to do
Lmao

bspwm can do even more than patched dwm with fewer LoC.

Attached: 528394758096.png (540x403, 366K)

Haven't got around to trying it. I'm sure it's more efficient than what I'm currently using, but I'm too busy to switch

Don't we all, user.

awesome wm is better

Cwm is way better. At least the openbsd one

Xmonad can do more than both.

Shill me xmonad. Why should I use it over other window managers?

Thanks, it works great

Because it's similar to DWM but without DWMs shortcomings. To add a patch you simply do import XMonad.Layout.Spiral if you want the spiral layout and then simply add spiral to your layouts, no need to patch manually. then you compile and restart. Unlike DWM which requires you to exit your session to see changes, in xmonad I have recompile && restart bound to a single key which does it in a few milliseconds. It's as fast as refreshing your config in i3, you won't notice that you are compiling anything.

Furthermore XMonad has a much bigger community behind it, many of DWMs patches are out of date (even on their website) while everything in xmonad-contrib (a library of xmonad 'patches') is up to date.

Everything patch has good documentation and can be found here: hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib

You should use XMonad if you want a minimal yet extremely extensible window manager.
The base XMonad wm is about 1000 lines of code (Haskell) so not bloated either.

I don't know any Haskell but I still find it easy to configure xmonad.

youtu.be/70IxjLEmomg

because there are better options

What's the general consensus on i3 vs xmonad? And how do you make i3 shuffle layout like xmonad?

i3 is Reddit tier and more bloated than xmonad while having 5% of the features.

I see, also, it definitely seems nice from that video.
Having a bigger, and possibly less autistic community would definitely be a plus.
I don't really care about "minimalism": the one reason I like dwm is because of its defining feature: the way it dynamically handles windows. I find myself working much more comfortably with dwm than using, say, i3, which is nice, polished and all, but often has me moving windows around for a while to get the layout I want. And still, it has nothing like dwm's master/stack approach.
I really like dwm for this reason, from a purely functional point of view, but I dislike the petty elitism and attitude of its developers and community. Getting out of it would be nice.

As long as xmonad can effectively emulate that paradigm while being less autistic, for all I know that alone would qualify it as a superior window manager.

>go to xmonad.org/
>featured anime desktop in homepage
I'm sold.

Xmonad was inspired by DWM so handles windows the same way as DWM does. It's default layouts are even the same.

>240p
>music blasting
Unisntalled

Is xmonad community indeed active? I have doubts because of Haskell

????

Xmonad Is a pride of the Haskell community so it's pretty active. But the base wm is not so active because it's feature complete, there are no more bugs to fix or noting that needs to be added. Xmonad-contrib however is still pretty active. What more do you want, useless features added every week for the sake of it?

Some people don't program and hence don't need a compiler?
Installing what? 300MB of bloat just to configure your WM sounds retarded don't you think?

nigger, who gave you permission to save and repost my images?

Attached: 2019-01-23-1548292264.png (1366x768, 2.45M)

>300mb is bloat
>Downloads several GB for his DE.
Everyone should have a compiler installed because you should be using Gentoo, if not go back to windows.

How do I steal the complete setup of someone?

>not rio or /dev/draw

>x + minimal wm is somehow more than x + minimal wm + entire toolchain
>if you don't want to bloat your system with stuff you don't use go back to an even more bloated system
>thinks everyone wants to compile his own kernel
what is logic

You are probably using a faggot distro like arch which even without GCC installed is already bloated as fuck

show em how cool tags are too

Attached: dwmtags.webm (854x480, 1.15M)

where are your tripcodes? only tripcode fag used to post screens with that unknown chick

Well, I'm using pacman, you're right about that.

Attached: Untitled.png (877x402, 47K)

I've never had a tripcode in the decade + that I've been visiting this website.
You can tell he downloaded my screenshot from the filename on his post.
copying is NOT ALLOWED

Another good feature of xmonad is per workspace layout's. Every workspace can have a different layout unlike dwm

Are you revoking the GPL?

DWM is BSD license.

He was probably quoting MikeeUSA.

What're you using for your irssi nick list, senpai?

>no titlebars

Stop being so assmad that he likes your desktop, nigger.

Attached: Screenshot_20190126_014759.png (1920x1080, 2.17M)

what channel or network is that?
trying to find a francophone one

if you are original user, post name of girl

dumb nigger didn't match the filename with the date on the image lmao, also that's not my filename format.
Also it's joke, I don't care,his post was just really fucking gay.
I wouldn't dox my wife like that fuck off

Attached: 2019-01-23-1548256176.png (1366x768, 1.28M)

it's my gf.

Attached: MV5BNzU2MjQ5Nzc2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMxMTA2NTE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg (214x317, 15K)