/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1548422800486.jpg (1680x1050, 774K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/logos/
youtube.com/watch?v=cEPfiwQJR10
aur.archlinux.org/packages/rxvt-unicode-truecolor/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

crossposting in new thread

Dumb crossposter. Nice digits tho.

So much for friendly. If I'm so dumb, do you deign to impart some wisdom upon me? It must be such a simple fix, it wouldn't take you long to explain what I'm doing wrong, eh?

That's cool and all, but i can't make a whole community change softwares for me

Is Ubuntu still best distro to move family members away from Windows?

The malware thing is supposed to be a recent thing
Mint is better

I'm trying to use PlayOnLinux for Simcity 2000, but the installer keeps hanging on "creating virtual drive" do I need to install Wine or something?

What are some tools to recover corrupted drives/images? Atm, I'm still cloning my poor SD card.

Attached: 2019-01-25-224731_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.59M)

Put page numbers on the document and make them white.

>>Mint is better
rationale?

It's ubuntu for people too embarrassed to use ubuntu

ddresc--
uh, that's probably about all you can do with a dodgy SD card, keep trying until it doesn't do any more, then dump what you can from the image with photorec (even if it's mountable, it's possible that bad metadata can prevent access to good data)

>but the installer keeps hanging on "creating virtual drive"
uh, is that a repack or something? that doesn't sound like something sc2000 setup should be doing
in any case, if it is trying to create a virtual drive, it won't work, because wine doesn't support kernel mode things like drivers

lewd

So, how do I fix it? I just want to play Simcity2000

Doesnt have the crapware that Ubuntu has and is more user-friendly.

How can I write a bash script to rename all the files in one directory to some title like "title 1" then the next one "title 2" etc etc?

hi, is there a way to prompt a user for password using bash?
I want to use dmenu to choose an entry of my keepass db, it works if I call the script from the terminal because I can type it and it unlocks the db but if I call it through and i3 binding then nothing happens after I choose from dmenu

#!/bin/sh
entry=$(cat ~/workspace/scripts/keepassdb_entries.txt | dmenu -i)

keepassxc-cli clip ~/keepassxdb.kdbx $entry

I'm an idiot, apparently I can just select all and rightclick to get what I want done with mass rename with dolphin

zenity --password

Where can I find some YUGE debian swirl logos with transparent background?
I've found a few on the official site but they arent' very large. I'm looking to add it to some of my minimalist wallpapers.

Attached: 8v5densibfwz.jpg (546x819, 65K)

Hey guys, i'll try to keep it short
My widnows 10 install failed on me and it's not the first time (getting a boot error and can't even enter the os) so i decided to try a fresh install on linux
But i need to save some important files from the hdd first before i format it, so i'm tryin to access the windows hd as data so i can copy those files to my data hdd but i can't open it.
It says it's not mounted so of course i try to mount it and it doesn't work.
I did some google before asking, and i tried ntsfix on both partitions (forme reason the hdd has a 1gb windows partition, and that's the only partition it shows up at gparted but the hard drive is 500gb)
And for the 499 partition is get this error:
Failed to open index allocation (inode 5): No such file or directory
Failed to open $Secure: No such file or directory
Remount failed: No such file or directory
for the 1gb part i get this:
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.
Also i don't have a usb for repair windows or any way to access windows...

have you tried
debian.org/logos/
it has scalable versions you can make as big as you like

Attached: a.png (1443x677, 80K)

Milk truck has arrived

thanks

don't you think a hard drive error is the reason why your windows install stopped working as well? in that it won't help if you install linux on it.

if I were in your situation I would do the following:
1. stop trying to repair an NTFS partition with linux tools
2. buy a new ssd and install windows on it
3. run a recovery tool like recuva on the old hdd to recover as many of your important files as possible.

if it's truly a hdd failure and you keep messing with it then you could just make matters worse.

not gnome3 garbage

I can't afford a new hd
As i mentioned, i doubt it's the hd i've had the same problem before and i reinstalled windows and it has worked flawlessly for almost two years (flawlessly but the os is horseshit imo) just was too lazy to go linux then.

How can I increase the fan speed of my amd graphics card?
>inb4 put it under load

Debian is for cucks.

Can someone explain to me how screen drawing works for your average simple windows?

Take a simple terminal program like urxvt or xterm for example. My guess is they only update the screen when there's new data. But when it's just idling (and still the active window) then it's not drawing anything.
But say my monitor is 60Hz, doesn't that still mean it's essentially drawing the windows contents with a framerate of 60? Is it xorg that handles the drawing and just tells my machine to keep displaying the last image used if there's no new data? Does it use my GPU?

Basically I'm wondering what the difference is in terms of what is drawing to the screen and how often between a simple window (with maybe just some text or buttons) and something like a PC game running at 60fps.

Also I'm wondering if that means my desktop has a framerate?
So for example, if I disable vsync does that mean my xorg desktop session is rendering at 10,000 fps or something or is it still capped by my monitors refresh rate?

what happens is basically;
- programs manage their own window contents, either by asking X to draw into it (really old fashioned), or drawing into it themselves and passing along bitmaps to X (or rather, asking gui toolkits to do so for them)
- X draws these changes to the framebuffer, a chunk of memory on your video card
- the video card reads this memory constantly, at the rate of the display
basically, software updates the framebuffer whenever it wants to, and the video card reads it at a constant rate
vsync simply refers to having software update the framebuffer only during the vertical blanking period, a short period of time between the end of a frame and the start of the next frame, this is typically achieved in modern systems by means of double buffering, which works by having two framebuffers, the 'back' buffer, which you draw to, and a 'front' buffer, which the gpu scans out to the display, during the vertical blanking period, the two buffers are swapped (aka flipped), this gives software more time to render a frame, at the cost of latency

>debian.org/logos/
>SVG
I totally forgot that format existed, thanks!

oh, and to be clear;
>does that mean my xorg desktop session is rendering at 10,000 fps or something or is it still capped by my monitors refresh rate?
the framebuffer can be updated at any rate, be it 1fps or 10,000fps, it's not tied to the display at all, the display just gets whatever happens to be in each pixel of the framebuffer while it's being scanned out (this is what 'tearing' is, the result of subsequent frames clobbering old ones /while/ it's being scanned out to the display)

based Lexi Belle uses Devuan

So what the hell is the point of ever running a game at more than 60fps if I have a 60Hz monitor? Like if I have 300fps wouldn't there be entire frames that are literally just written, then overwritten, and not even 1 single pixel from the first image was seen on screen at all?

Also, am I to understand that a desktop can just not write to the framebuffers at all and it will keep the current image on-screen? (and if so then do you happen to know if xorg behaves that way?)
Is this significantly more resource friendly than, say, a game which I guess actually writes into the framebuffer 60 times a second, or does it not make much of a difference?

Fucked around with extensions last night and now I've lost all of my top bar icons like Steam or Discord. Any idea how to get them back?

Pic related is my extensions.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-25 18-12-53.png (1160x501, 76K)

Ubtunu's shitty version of Gnome by the way. I really should've said.

wat

Is there a way to make systems containers network to each other? I’m trying for a setup where one container acting as a “router” to the host machine and all the other containers connected to the router container.

keep in mind that a display doesn't get a frame instantly, then just waits 1/60th of a second
the displays is being sent data constantly, one pixel at a time, at a fixed rate
what color the pixel should be at the exact moment it's being sent out to the display depends on what the framebuffer contains at that same moment
so, if a game updates the framebuffer 300 times a second (a slightly more technical way of saying it's "running at 300fps"), you're not getting the first frame of each 1/60th second period, nor the last, or even any single one in between, but rather bits of all of them, 300/60=5, so each 20% of the screen (vertically) is actually showing different frames, from oldest to newest (with a potentially-visible tear in between them)
this can result in newer information being made visible sooner than if you were to vsync the game, at the cost of tearing artifacts

speaking of resource usage, if you're on say, a laptop, and want to reduce power usage, setting an fps cap is a good way to do that

>this can result in newer information being made visible sooner than if you were to vsync the game
since it might not be obvious, this has the effect of reducing apparent latency

Trying to build firefox 64.
It errors out "Cant compile gkrust" and "signal 11 ,SIGSEGV: invalid memory reference"
I have rust installed but it still errors out on this gkrust compile for some reason.
Help?

Ok thanks for the info it's really helpful.
I have one last question though. What would you say about normal terminal emulators like urxvt compared to newer OpenGL GPU accelerated terminal emulators like kitty which have an actual fps that you can set?

Say I set the fps to something low, for example, like 20fps. Is it using less resources than urxvt because it's drawing at a rate significantly lower than my monitors refresh rate? Or is it using more resources (because it's constantly writing to the framebuffer I guess, if I understood your explanation correctly)?

How to check if game is running on gpu and not CPU? Monitor on KDE is showing only the cpu.

Cant get this service file to run.What am i doing wrong? It dosent return any errors it just fails

[Unit]
Description=Script

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/node /home/user/scripts/script.js

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

>What am i doing wrong?
Using systemd

Extreme brainlet question coming. Trying to install spotify on antergos.
>git clone the url
>download the snapshot from aur
>move them in to their own spotify directory
>makepkg -s / --syncdeps
>everything seems to go smoothly

Then what? How do I run spotify? Package name is "spotify" so shouldn't the installed program start from console by typing "spotify" like on Ubuntu?

Why doesn't the gnome shell extension repo work in fedora? I swear it did two days ago

do `makepkg -si'
the i is for install

wrap the command in a bash script and let that execute.

I dont have a problem running the script by its self, i've already been doing that. i want to have it run as a daemon, one that restarts its self should something error, which is what having it as a systemd server would do

Not gunna run some niche distro that has 1 developer who only makes updates once a year

Add the following lines to your script:
process.on('uncaughtException', function (error) {});
It will never crash. Finally use init.d

Which VM software should I use (I'm on windows)? Is it even possible to have a smooth desktop experience? Should I install it on a SSD?

>/fglt/
>i'm on windows
I am happy to answer your question after you install a GNU/Linux distribution on the metal.

Attached: 72CB0B1F-BB86-470A-9995-1177CFC4E8EF.gif (359x371, 405K)

Well I obviously want to VM it.

try changing it to
WantedBy=multi-user.target
and enable it with
systemctl --user enable your.service
systemctl --user start your.service

if that works then look into the Restart and Type options to have it restart on failure

It is still not running. And using "--user" brings in a new issue, it says it cannot find the service file

newly installed ubuntu
which gui should I choose?

oh user services are located in ~/.config/systemd/user/

Moving it there,it cannot find the service file.

A gnu/linux youtuber is trying distros and takes recommendations youtube.com/watch?v=cEPfiwQJR10

werks for me, your shit's fucked

Attached: 2019-01-25_21:10:21.png (772x342, 29K)

why would you have xorg.conf in the first place? It just werks by default without it

Attached: 1535815717312.jpg (720x532, 65K)

I'm just about ready to drag Win10 behind the house and unload both barrels into its mouth. Latest update is now causing audio distortion and lag with any CPU load. I should've gone balls deep with linux like I planned to some weeks ago...

it used to be the easiest way to set up nvidia settings because the auto generate option

is there any way to get rid of the screen tearing in firefox while scrolling on nvidia other than the forced composition pipeline?

Pacman does not change your current configs, if you have a modified config file it will diff it and then make a xorg.conf.pacnew
Pacman has literally never altered your current config

somebody know some nice chan readers?

It's a meme you dip
I do wonder why the meme says so though as they usually have some truth to it but as you said it doesm't modify configs
firefox with 4chanx and oneechan is maximum comfy

Attached: archqua.png (2335x2335, 367K)

Distro?
Maybe you're missing some -dev package.

I have a defunt process thats RAPING my system 100% cpu on every core
I cant kill it(kill -9,pkill,killall)
How do i get rid of it short of rebooting?

i have these in mine:
>disable mouse acceleration
>use the right primary monitor and refresh rate
>use the right keyboard layout

sudo

not so sure, I used to auto generate xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig and it broke constantly after updates, but didn't take much effort to re-generate it tho

it's deprecated, put custom changes in separate files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Thats not pacman, that is nvidia-xconfig

pkill -9 processname or just use htop

do you know how i can get oneechan to load my fonts?

no, I have
html, body {
font-family: "xos4 Terminus" !important;
font-size: 12px !important;
}
in my 4chanx css box, oneechan has css box in theme edit as well

install oneko

Attached: 2007-04-13-oneko.png (300x164, 1K)

aur.archlinux.org/packages/rxvt-unicode-truecolor/
reee why can't this be upstreamed

Is there any fucking way to make a windows 10 pendrive from ubuntu?
I've tried woeusb but the problem is that the windows iso is larger than 4gb and the program can't handle it

download a legit ISO and use that. I just download Windows 7 Home this morning directly from Microsoft and it’s 3.32GB

i've made uefi-bootable w*ndows usbs like this:
>create a gpt partition table on the usb
>create a fat32 partition on it (don't mark it as bootable or windows will get confused and fail to boot)
>mount the partition and the iso somewhere
>copy the files from the iso to the usb (using something like "cp -a" to preserve attributes, not sure if it's really needed)

>Audacity on Linux: Which microphone do you want to use?
>Me: The one that's f**king plugged in.
>Audacity on Linux: I can't hear you!

alternatively you can install windows in qemu or virtualbox and enable usb passthrough to use rufus

install pulseaudio

It's already installed. The volume control says "(unplugged)" but the level meter below show that it is picking up audio. I had this working the other day.

It's now working. Under the recording tab in the volume control UI there's an option to select between Monitor of audio source or just audio source, selecting the latter got it working.

If I want to put a distro on an SSD, would it affect anything if I were to use the entire drive instead of the standard 15-20GB that's usually recommended? (120GB SSD if that matters.) My gut reaction is it'd be a bad move, but I have no idea.

What's the best way to cut up an album into multiple tracks?

I don't want to cut each individual song out in the terminal.

Attached: squat.png (640x640, 19K)

my microphone isnt working
i opened pavucontrol and it says it is plugged into the rear mic jack (which it is), but it doesnt detect any sound input from it (the bar blow volume control does not increase when i tap the mic)
i opened alsamixer to see if it was muted but i see no mic listed under any of the sound cards, only mic boost which changes nothing when adjusted

/boot is absolutely necessary as far as I'm concerned, though there isn't any problems with not seperating /home and /
LVM works normally as well.

Autism/Linux

I think you guys did it, friends.
I think Debian cured my distro hopping.
Say what you want about xfeces, i love it.

Storing the js in the user directory seems just wrong.

I should've been clearer with what I was asking.

The SATA drive will be /home all on its own. I was gonna put /boot and / on the SSD. I was gonna do 20GB for /, and the drive is 120GB. My question was, would allocating all the leftover space to / yield any benefits of problems for the health of the drive?

Why?
Everything is downloaded in to the home folder.
Its a git repo,the ~/scripts/ folder is just symlinks from the git repos in another folder in the user folder