Why are people still using Java in 2019?

Why are people still using Java in 2019?

Attached: g8oc9xp4fee11.jpg (488x461, 32K)

People have jobs

Attached: 1539950508725.jpg (1600x1832, 165K)

What's wrong with Java? Seriously

>saying x is like saying..
epic 9gager meme !
compatibility BTFO

JABA BAD
C GOOD

everyone who's not a mong switched to kotlin, mongs switched to scala

java does pretty much everything decently well

java as a language is mostly ok tho it's showing its age compared to kotlin or swift, the problem is that it's owned by oracle who has now started aggressively squeezing it for cash

To be fair, that's precisely only a problem with enterprise usage of Java that actually needs some kind of support on the used runtime. Everyone else just switched to OpenJDK.

Similarly, what's wrong about Java?

It's one of the fastest interpreted languages out there and has decades of optimizations. Garbage collector, strict types, great ide support, cross-compatibility, etc...

If you need C-like speeds at times or manual memory handling, you can always use JNI.

If you don't like the verbosity of Java, you can always use Kotlin.

I think the real question is not whether you like Java but rather your opinions towards OOP. Even then, Java's OOP design is based upon C++.

Java is the defacto server-side language at Google for instance unless performance is your main concern, then you're in C++. Even then, the widely used compute libraries have JNIs.

Maintenance of Java code is nightmarish, but I supposed this is due to incompetent development/QA.

i don't see how it's worse than any other language, and javadoc encourages healthy comment practices. the only thing that is annoying with java is linking to c libraries like opencv through a bridge, it seems a bit brittle

What's wrong with anal sexy??

its not when the devs arent incompetent

90% of everything is terrible, including software developers.
Ergo, most codebases suck ass.
In fact, all actively mantained codebases will converge to absolute shit given enough time.

writing java is not fun. for me that's it. when i write java i get incredibly bored. it's like doing taxes, do get some job done but it's boring.

C, Go and Python are always fun for me.

This, because there are people who pay you for using it.

It's just a little bit bloated, Kotlin solves that to some extent though.

For certain things Java just seems to have all the right features and libraries right out the box. I've haven't worked with it much but let's say i want to work with a JSON-based API provided by some web server, Java makes it trivial.

So my point is i don't get the unironic hatred for Java either. In my mind it does a lot of things perfectly well, and the JIT compiled code seems to be very efficient, even competing with native programs. Maybe a direct comparison between other languages isn't the best way to judge it since it seems to be better suited to certain tasks than others in my (newbie to java) view.

Attached: 1b2.png (500x633, 413K)

We had a Java class at university in 1998. Still hate that language today.

Java is based.

because thats what my uni teaches