Install Source Mage GNU/Linux

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

Attached: SourceMage.png (312x402, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cEPfiwQJR10
sourcemage.org/History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Mage#History
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Reboot without a kernel
>Spells
Truly a distro for fat neckbeards
Go play WoW instead of polluting Jow Forums

>no 3rd party patches
imagine eating the raw garbage from upstream. there's a reason why most if not all distros have to throw 3-10 patches at any bigger software project.

>no systemd
Fuck you.

>no systemd
>an advantage

Attached: kek.jpg (317x267, 22K)

no one likes you, pottering

kys

>b-but muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism
>muh 1970s

Attached: 1528521184701.png (222x301, 85K)

>nazi shitposter
>sucking the dick of RedHat
fuck off Jow Forums

Quick! A youtuber is trying distros and has enough views, ask him to cover SMGL youtube.com/watch?v=cEPfiwQJR10

For those interested in some history, Source Mage was originally called Sorcerer (first released in 2000, the same year as Gentoo), but due to some problems (around 2002), Sorcerer split into 3 distros: Lunar Linux (pretty much dead), Sorcerer (fork by the original creator, he took it offline for some reason and killed it) and Source Mage (with most of the original dev team).
By the time Source Mage got off the ground (2002), Gentoo had already amassed a large and vibrant community, basically leaving Source Mage in the dust.
Since Gentoo had much more momentum at a critical time, Source Mage remained in it's shadow ever since.
That's the reason why Source Mage is largely unknown now compared to Gentoo, despite technically being as old as Gentoo.
sourcemage.org/History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Mage#History

Despite all that, Source Mage is still a good distro.
The package management tools work well and there are still people working on them.
The problem is that the distro is so small right now, there are not enough people to maintain all the spells and keep them up with the upstream.
If you're going to install it, you should use the test grimoire (it's not bleeding edge, but it's quite up to date and fine for my needs at least).

so how can I make my wifi driver work?

t. basement-dweller

my gentoo install isn't going anywhere but when I get my hands on another laptop I will install source mage onto it. I love to support smaller niche distros
go fuck yourself

I dont understand the flamers in this thread... Im a linux newbie and started my first steps with Arch Linux but this other distro caught my attention and I have to say Source Mage wiki is better written and explained than the arch one and that is to say something imho

In fact I have dropped Arch Linux like a hot potato because of the systemd cancer... I dont understand how a distro so important and famous has been ignoring this fact for so long with every update going even worse

The only problem I see with Source Mage is it doesnt seem up to date and also lacks maintenance workforce... aside that it is what all other linux distros should have been since the very start

Attached: 1307310481637.jpg (1024x1024, 932K)

Literally a distro for virgins

I would really like to use Source Mage. Can you provide some tips and tricks for what should be done after actually installing it? The manpage they provide doesn't really hold my hand enough, y'know? I love the tools source mage offers and I would love to give it a try but I just get so stuck after that initial install. Could you provide us some useful working knowledge that might not be found on the site itself?

There is a github with a guide for installing sourcemage.

>mom, there's people trying to convert my hack collection into a sane operating system ;_;

Attached: smgl_not_dead.png (994x800, 777K)

this
>t. non hobbyist
Come on lad...

It’s not Jow Forums, just some fag that thinks his shitposting is funny

oh look it's the Jow Forums bully hunters, did someone insulting your brand tickle your little anal cavity ?

Attached: 1520046402700.png (918x720, 520K)

Enough of your shitposting, faggot.

fuck off

seethe harder, phoneposter
nah, u

Attached: 43 - mVca7zV.jpg (1147x825, 116K)

Fuck off shitposter

i can do this all night user, i've got an endless supply of smug anime girls

Attached: 7 - Tt88uLP.png (494x468, 193K)

I bet you’re proud of downloading them off knowyourmeme