Why did screensavers die out? I thought some were pretty creative

Why did screensavers die out? I thought some were pretty creative

Attached: IMG_2955.png (750x1334, 1.11M)

>missing literal bloat
Had to be a winlet user.

screen blanking became popular as LCDs dont suffer from CRT's long startup times.
its always better to turn a plasma display off when not used because plasma displays get really hot after some time.
only retards use OLED, which actually needs a screensaver due to ludicrous burn in problems.

>inb4 they dont literally save your screen anymore

>only retards use OLED, which actually needs a screensaver due to ludicrous burn in problems.
OLED just like LCD should be just turned off when not in active use. Using screensaver on them is retarded because it still wears them down.

LCD's usually last for fucking ever though. no need to worry about wear.

the fucking fish ones always had malware

based aquarium screensavers

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

Yep, I might've not been clear enough, the wear thin was about OLEDs. LCDs should go off just for the sake of power consumption, at least the backlight, as there's no reason to keep them on when not in use.
Screensavers were the thing for CRTs and that's all, they're mostly gone together with them.

Attached: fish.png (191x198, 50K)

because those were the most popular ones among normies

Outta my way plebs

Attached: manual_afterdark_1.jpg (1200x951, 312K)

Because no one has a desktop anymore, and when you're not using your macbook you shut the lid.

what's a macbook?

>what is OLED

People just realised it peaked at starfield and that there was no point in trying to top that.

Attached: pet_sheep.gif (211x128, 4K)

>starfield
>not labyrinth

VirtualGirlfriend HD

did anyone actually dumb enough to installed that?

Hell yeah, Starry Night is peak comfy.

Attached: Starry iMac.jpg (4592x3056, 3.72M)

too young to post here

Yeah, horny boomers.

Nice iMac. What's the outrigger Mac to the left of it?

I remember having the After Dark screensavers on my family's Performa 6115. Starry night running on that underpowered beige NuBus box was just pure magic.

It's a Power Macintosh G3, albeit with a 1GHz G4 CPU and many other upgrades.
>Performa 6115
I have to get me one of those "almost-but-not-quite-a-pizzabox" machines. They look really neat.

Attached: G3(G4).jpg (4592x3056, 3.64M)

love those G3's. you're the dude with the laserdisc in the corner right?

>you're the dude with the laserdisc in the corner right?
That I am.

So a G3-4/1000, you might call it.

>They look really neat.
They were definitely aesthetic. If you're going to get one of the 6100-series Power Macs (or Performas, whatever you want to call them), I highly recommend trying to track down a DOS compatibility card. Ours came with a 486DX/66 CPU on a daughtercard, which in many ways was like having a second motherboard inside the same computer. At one point the 6115 had two hard drives, a 350 MB one running System 7 and an 80MB one that had DOS and Windows 3.1 on it. Because you had a legitimate Intel CPU, you could actually run Windows "natively" on a PowerPC Mac. The only wonky things were that the DOS card shared video memory and RAM with the Mac, and didn't really have its own output so much as it took over the Mac's video output when needed. It was the best of both worlds since I could have the Mac, which was frankly far more elegant and easy to use, and also play Windows games. My mom had her bank software that would run off the Windows hard drive. Unfortunately the 80MB drive eventually died, and we lost the special cable that you needed to sort of do a pass-through of a pass-through to get the DOS card to output video. I'm thinking of rehabilitating it just because I've still got the 6115, may as well use it to play my old DOS games.

That's awesome, as a kid I was stuck with some hand-me-down Compaq laptop with a passive matrix display and I could only dream of those PowerMacs. Thankfully I'm now fulfilling my old dreams bit by bit.
>I highly recommend trying to track down a DOS compatibility card
The cards are relatively easy to find, the cables, however... If they weren't so hard to find I'd definitely get one. I don't really need it, as I have literal dozens of Wintel boxes collecting dust, so I can run whatever I want from the era on those.
>we lost the special cable that you needed to sort of do a pass-through of a pass-through to get the DOS card to output video
Damn shame.
>may as well use it to play my old DOS games.
Not many people restore their old Macs to play DOS games, that's for sure. But it does sound like a really good plan if you can find a passthrough cable for a reasonable price.
Does your card have the Sound Blaster compatible daughterboard?

You had a laptop as a kid? That's really fucking cool. I didn't get my first laptop until university... a Dell Latitude D620. The computer that forever made me regret not buying a T60.

>The cards are relatively easy to find, the cables, however... If they weren't so hard to find I'd definitely get one.
Yeah, I've been looking for a cable on eBay on and off for close to a year, no luck. There was a guy a while back who was selling one, but for almost $200. I thought it ridiculous to spend that kind of money on a 23-year-old cable that may or may not be long for this world. There's sort of a junk dealer computer store in my city and the proprietor CLAIMED to have one of these at one point, but he sold it for $20. I am supposedly on a list, he's supposed to call me when they get one in, but again it's been almost a year and nothing. I don't understand why they're so fucking hard to find.

>Does your card have the Sound Blaster compatible daughterboard?
I actually don't remember, to be honest. Was this something only a select few of them came with? Because if so, I don't think my dad would have paid the premium. He was already reeling from the cost of the computer (over $3,000 with that card and the extra RAM and hard drive), I think he would have dug in his heels over a "better-sounding" DOS card.

I had a G3 I got from a school auction in 2007. Nice computer

Attached: IMG_1752.jpg (3128x2448, 2.1M)

>You had a laptop as a kid?
Well, yeah. My father worked for a recycling company at the time and the thing just showed up one day, someone had thrown it out. I think the machine was like two years old. It was one of the first wave of Pentium laptops, but late enough to have a CD-ROM drive and a sound card.
>The computer that forever made me regret not buying a T60.
Why? I have used both machines and I FAR prefer the D620. It's also way more durable than the T60. As a matter of fact, my mom still uses my old D620 to this day, with a T7600, maxed out ram, an SSD and Windows 10. Meanwhile my old T61 (Which replaced the D620) fell apart little by little until one day the thing stopped booting altogether.
>I don't understand why they're so fucking hard to find.
Because everyone keeps cables, but not the things they go with. So the cables always end up in a drawer, where they sit for years until they're taken out again and thrown out because the thing they used to connect to isn't there anymore.
>Was this something only a select few of them came with?
I'm not sure at all. I think it was an option at first, but then became standard since most people who bought the cards bought them for playing videogames.
Very nice. The Outrigger is the best desktop computer Apple has ever made, in my opinion.
The Power Macintosh 9600 being the best tower. Both can be upgraded to the point of surpassing a 1GHz iMac G4 in both CPU and GPU performance, which is quite a feat for some computers from 1997 and 1998, respectively.

The Outrigger G3, that is. Bit of a brain fart there.

>Packard Bell in between an Outrigger G3 and a Mac clone

Like jamming a log of shit in between two pieces of brioche

that packard bell was our 3rd family computer, we used it from 1998 until 2005 when it was replaced by the shitty emachines on the far right

screensavers are bloat, it makes more sense to just turn off the screen

underrated

You still got the G3?

>I think the machine was like two years old
Incredible that someone would throw something like that out after only two years. Especially considering how much they cost when new. But if memory serves me right, computers used to become obsolete so fast that it was entirely reasonable to depreciate them over 2-3 years.

>Why?
A number of reasons. A friend of mine ended up getting the T60 and I just instantly regretted getting the D620. The T60 had options for graphics cards, the case plastics were thicker and creaked less, and it had fewer ill-fitting parts. The keyboard was also a lot more crisp and precise, and the trackpoint was light years ahead. I can't think of a single thing the D620 did better, it felt like an also-ran. But I did pay considerably less for mine than my friend did for his T60, so there's that. Years later, when I started grad school I got a T410 and donated the D620 to my mom. The display conked out shortly after that and I couldn't get it to work again, and I also couldn't get the video-out to work. So we just ended up stripping it for parts and tossing the empty husk.

>Power Macintosh 9600 being the best tower
The G5 was pretty nice though. Not as upgradable, but had enough expandability and it looked fucking great. I'm still thinking of picking up a G5 Mac if I can find one cheap enough.

>The T60 had options for graphics cards
Which came with free premature deaths. I don't think there's a single T60 with dedicated graphics alive right now, except for maybe the few that have had its GPU replaced.
>the case plastics were thicker and creaked less
But the D620 is fully made out of magnesium, while the T60 uses a rollcage. I've never heard creaking from mine, how strange.
>the trackpoint was light years ahead
That one is true. The middle button on the T61 was an absolute godsend, and so was the sane sensitivity curve. The D620's was more sensitive than my ex's clit, even with the acceleration set all the way down.
>The display conked out shortly after that
The D620s were well known for having their inverters go bad, and that happened to mine, but we replaced it and it's been running fine ever since. If you douldn't get video out yours probably had a different issue, though.
>The G5 was pretty nice though
G5s are pretty nice machines, but they're so damn unreliable. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this from a hackintosh inside a G5 case. I got it with a fried board, so I reused the PSU, the cooling system and pretty much everything else.
>I'm still thinking of picking up a G5 Mac if I can find one cheap enough.
And so am I. I really miss Leopard on ppc as a main system. I was using a G4 FW800 as my main machine up until September last year, but 2GiB ram just wasn't cutting it anymore. I would've definitely stuck with it if it didn't have the damn memory ceiling.

Yeah its in storage right now, Still works as far as I know. also kept the iMac, the Mac Classic and the PowerMac, but tossed the emachines, the mac clone, the second to left tower.

>Tossed the Mac clone
That thing was worth more than the three other Macs combined, fyi.

i tried selling it on CL for a long time before i tossed it and nobody had any interest in it. When the house was lost all we had was a 10x15 storage unit and I couldnt keep everything in there so something had to go sadly. it was a macally or some equivalent. it had ports for both windows and mac inputs (ps/2 and adb)

There's usually no need for them

>i tried selling it on CL for a long time before i tossed it and nobody had any interest in it.
Well no shit. You could've made some serious profit of you sold it on ebay, for example.
>It was a macally or some equivalent
Looks like a Power Computing PowerTower Pro to me.
>so something had to go sadly
Why didn't you throw out the damn Celeron shitbox then?
Whatever, it was your computer. But damn, that's one rare piece of history humanity's never gonna get back.

What was so rare about it? I got it from a friend back in 2008. Is there somewhere I can read about the history of PowerComputing that I'm missing out on? Could it really do anything that a Macintosh of the time couldnt?

>Is there somewhere I can read about the history of PowerComputing that I'm missing out on?
Yes, the Wikipedia article is pretty accurate.
>Could it really do anything that a Macintosh of the time couldnt?
Yes, it was the first computer ever released with a PowerPC 604 chip, and it far outperformed any Mac of its time. Which also made it the fastest personal computer at the time of its release.

they will probably come back if people start using oled screens

Because people now stare at their screen for >95% of the time it's on.
No longer let it sit in the corner while doing something more fun than posting on Facebook.

Well fuck

nice, great set up. meant to reply the other day when i ended up looking for videos of screensavers because of your post

based flying toasters

Thank you!

By the way, here's how the Starry Night module looks on a modern IPS panel. Leaves a lot to be desired.

Attached: Thin Film Transistors - The Glow pt. 3.jpg (4592x3056, 3.67M)

>Which came with free premature deaths
I think you're confusing the T60 and T60p (which had ATI cards that were fine) with the T61 and T61p (which had nVidia cards that were not fine). I actually still have my friend's T60- posting from it now. Great computer IMO, even if he thought it was "too old".

>But the D620 is fully made out of magnesium
I seem to remember a lot of intersecting case components that did not quite fit together properly. Maybe this was a defect with mine specifically. As far as the display goes, no clue what happened there.

>G5s are pretty nice machines, but they're so damn unreliable
God dammit, this makes me sad. Why is it that Apple still has this aura of "muh quality" around it when they keep putting out such flakey hardware? I'll tell you one thing, and this is for everyone who loves to harp on about how "Apple has changed since Jobs left". The Apple of the 1990s had exactly ONE high-level fuckup, the Powerbook 5300. Everything else literally just worked as it was intended to.

Sorry to hear that you tossed the Mac clone, that thing was actually quite valuable and CL was the wrong place to be selling it. How did you end up losing your house? It really sucks when you have to let good stuff go. I personally ended up having to let go of a lot of things after my parents got divorced. Basically the only old technology I could keep was my Performa 6115, my SNES and my Nintendo 64, because I was a broke-ass university student living in what was basically a four-and-a-half tatami room and I didn't have the space to keep anything else. I miss my massive 36" Trinitron TV more than anything, and I kind of have a pang of nostalgia for my first gaming PC every now and again.

>But damn, that's one rare piece of history humanity's never gonna get back
I'll bet you any money someone else picked it up somewhere down the line.

Attached: johnnycastaway.jpg (450x320, 29K)

theres only so many that are interested in buying overpriced useless obsolete tech. it might look cool but cant be used for anything useful

>I think you're confusing the T60 and T60p with the T61 and T61p
Didn't the ATI cards have an unusually high failure ratio too? I certainly remember reading about this on /tpg/ and I did have a friend bring me over his T60 with a failed graphics chip at one point. Maybe I did mistake them for the T61/p. My main laptop is an x200, so it's not like I hate ThinkPads or anything.
>Great computer IMO, even if he thought it was "too old".
I still don't know why people consider Core2Duos "too old". You just need to chuck an SSD and some more memory in them and they still fly.
>I seem to remember a lot of intersecting case components that did not quite fit together properly.
Must've been your particular unit, mine is a very early one and it doesn't have anything of that sort. The memory door does have some molding imperfections under whatever coating Dell used, but it's just an aesthetic thing.
>Why is it that Apple still has this aura of "muh quality" around it when they keep putting out such flakey hardware?
People pay a lot of money for their products, so they delude themselves and others into thinking they're the best quality. They'd rather do this than admit they spent way too much on a faulty fashion accessory and feel like idiots. It's a subconscious thing, we all do it at some level.
>The Apple of the 1990s had exactly ONE high-level fuckup, the Powerbook 5300. Everything else literally just worked as it was intended to.
And that kind of was an issue. Apple in the 1990s had all their priorities wrong. The hardware was artificially limited (10MiB memory limit on the LC and LC II, the Performa 62xx and 63xx series being made out of literal leftover parts and having bottlenecks out the ass). Sure, the build quality was excellent, but that was simply because the science of planned obsolescence wasn't as perfected as it is today. Nowadays companies know how to make products fail. RoHS, bad capacitors and so on.

That looks like a shitload of dead pixels.

>I still don't know why people consider Core2Duos "too old". You just need to chuck an SSD and some more memory in them and they still fly.
For one, they use DDR2 and particularly laptops are often limited to 4 GB. And C2D laptops are often stuck with integrated graphics and Intel GPUs were truly shit back then.

I'd forgotten about the abomination 64 bit/ 32 bit 6000-series Performas (with the exception of the 6100 subseries). And the 5000 series. And the various abomination 32 bit/ 16 bit Macs. And the bullshit with the LC and LC II having artificially low memory limits, and the needless tiny differentiation between products that made it completely confusing to buy.

But at least a Performa 5200 will still run like shit long after most modern computers have stopped running.

Attached: performa_5200tv.jpg (450x600, 151K)

flap flap flap flap

They are, in Samsung's super AMOLED tablet hybrids they set it to have a screensaver that activates in a few minutes, dims the display, and cannot be disabled
Since merely displaying the taskbar could cause burn-in

Attached: screen-dimming.png (2160x1440, 1.06M)

Attached: 1520634374633.gif (232x344, 104K)

I still use the Ribbons Screensaver in Windows 10, looks nice.