Are these really as comfy as people say they are...

Are these really as comfy as people say they are? I already have a Logitech G Pro but I'm considering getting an MX 518 just because it has a really nice aesthetic, and I'll probably use it for stuff like Half Life and other old FPS games. What do, Jow Forums?

Attached: MX518.jpg (425x386, 17K)

the g403 is objectively superior in every way only nostalgia fags say otherwise

prove it

>the g403 is objectively superior in every way
Does that include build quality? Because I have been rocking my MX518 for 12 years, and still works flawless.

better sensor
way better clickers
better build quality
better shape

i've had every main logitech mouse since the mx500 and the g403 is about as close to a perfect mouse as i've ever had

Does anyone know where to get a new one for cheap (under $30)? I would prefer the v2 with 1800 dpi instead of 1600 but the v1 is ok too.

g400s
i literally bought two used ones of them so i would have enough replacement parts.

i had mx518 before and its pretty much the same mouse, but with lower polling rate.

get the g400s if you can, but the difference between them isnt drastic by any means.

Where do you find one that's not covered in dents? Even the new ones are beat to shit.

I like the design on the 518 though

That is a massive jump in mouse size. How big are your hands and how do you hold a mouse? If you did want that shape, Logitech just released the HERO legendary, that mouse but with their new sensor, on paper the best sensor on the market (not that it matters there is barely any difference they are so good now) and lighter.

If you have quite small hands like me, and want an ergo palm mouse, get a Roccat Kone Pure Owl Eye. Most underrated mouse out there, best build quality, good shape and great sensor.

Different shape, but the G403 is very very solid, that rear hump is divisive though, fine for me in claw.

i sanded my mx518 down and painted it white. it looked cash af. no dents after that.

but muh polling rate
function > aesthetics

srsly tho, keep in mind that g400s is newer, and it will be less likely to break. also, outer shell of g400s and mx518 is interchangeable. also, you can sand it down and paint it down however the fuk you want.i did that with my mx518.

The MX518 is nice but it's been bested many times over. The shape is nice but there are better mice with similar shapes. Its sensor is nothing special these days and the build quality is like any other mouse.. mine needs a new cable now.

oh and also, mx518 has prediction/angle snapping. g400s does not.

My hand is 18cm and I usually fingertip grip, one thing I noticed with the G Pro is my hand tends to be more angled toward the right when I hold it and not facing straight downward so it might be better to have an ergonomic mouse.
also this might sound autistic but I don't want the legendary edition because I don't like the new logitech logo as much
Oh that's pretty cool. Would it be possible to replace the 400s shell with the mx517's? And would it work with a newer mouse too or no because they're different shapes?
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

*meant mx518 not 517

Yeah that is autistic. If you fingertip get a Zowie FK2 or the new Zowie S2. I claw, but S2 is my new main mouse over the G pro wireless.

>Comfy
>Not a trackball
Pick one faggots

Attached: 51wlV8sXDiL._AC_SY400_.jpg (275x400, 18K)

I hope we can get the new mx518 in america soon. Seems to only be in asia right now or something.

depends really. if you wanna draw nice rectangles in mspaint by hand then mx518 is better. for playing games angle snapping sucks (it makes you less acurate)

yeah mx518/g400/g400s shells are interchangeable. you absolutely can replace them as you wish but i dont think you can do that with newer mice.

Yeah, you can just get it off the internet though. It's not like mice are region-locked

>Does that include build quality?
Not in my experience, no. I had an MX518 from 2006 until 2016. It wasn't legendary in terms of build quality (I had to replace the cord twice), but it was good enough and very comfortable to use. Eventually mine died from some cause other than the wire and I just replaced it with a G403. I was happy with the performance but didn't like the shape as much, and it crapped out on my in less than 2 years. Very unimpressive for something that cost so much. I got pissed off at Logitech and use a Steelries Rival 310 now, which is... okay. Back/forward buttons are a bit stiff, the gaps on the buttons are HUGE, but it's comfortable enough and performs well. Still not as good as the MX518 overall.

Jow Forums seems to have switched allegiance to BenQ (Zowie) now. I used one briefly at a friend's house but I can't comment on whether they're MX518 2.0 or not.

Still have two 518s..go for it

>MX 518
its a fucking awesome mouse with one small problem

the fucking cable cord is THE WORST i fucking threw away 2 of them because of it

I see
Ok, maybe I should just get a g400s and a non-working mx518 then switch the shells
Do you happen to know if the legendary edition has a replaceable shell too?

You need to fuck off. I replaced my MX518 with a G403 and it's been over a year and I still haven't gotten used to the shape. I thought I was just bad at games or too old or something but I plugged in my MX518 again and everything was fucking perfect. Yes apparently I even got used to the angle snapping. And "having a good sensor" doesn't matter when you're only using 400 or 800 dpi anyway like anyone playing an FPS actually is.
So my scrollwheel is broken and right-click can't be held-down (it randomly releases) so I had to re-bind altfire in unreal tournament. Other than that my mx518 is still fucking fine and feels way better than the fucking g403. So fuck you.

Also if anyone wants to buy a g403 pm me

>lower polling rate.
This is easily overclockable to 1000hz with software. I would know, I did it like 12 years ago.

any good gaming trackballs?
wew imagine being this much of a fucking brainlet
cord was the first thing to go on my mx518
guess what i did instead of throwing away the whole fucking mouse?
i replaced the cord
hint: the bottom comes off. screws under the feet.

I have that exact one, really like it.

I owned MX518 for ~8 years and its fairly good. The only issue I had was the side/top buttons felt too small and was bit of an annoyance.

Not sure how the newer Logitechs are, but if those buttons are slightly bigger, it must be better.

dunno im not familiar with the legendary edition but by the looks of it it should be possible. ebay does list some g400s shells (not mx518 tho) but they cost same as the entire functional mouse in used condition, i say buy both of them fully working, at least you'll have backup.

yeah but you need to use unofficial drivers, that means disabling driver signature enforcement. that can be a problem with some anticheats. not ideal but it is doable. still, using just g400s is better solution imho, also you wont have to deal with angle snapping on mx518.

Own a g502 its better trust me.

way too heavy

But you have to pay extra for the damn importing and waiting longer fuck that shit.

But it's better man also, is not that expensive you can afford one easliy.

yes thank you i didnt knew the cable comes out...
back then the cable directly from logitech was at about 30 bucks with the pads
they fucking knew it

I bought mine when they came out and still using it.

If I had a complaint it would be that sometimes, while scrolling, I accidentally hit the sensitivity buttons at the ends of the scroll wheel.

I agree, I upgraded from the first to a G502 after a few years.
The MX518 wore out, while the 502 seems like it's built to last forever. And the laser tracking is amazing, going back to an optical mouse sucks now.

oh, i googled the legendary edition and someone on reddit says that angle snapping toggleable in the driver. dunno if its true, but if true you probably shouldnt even consider the g400s. just buy the legendary one, it also has 1000hz polling rate. wont be as cheap tho.

but the logo...

oh, i missed that.

you could also buy g400s (its negligibly better) and paint it yourself if the cosmetics is the only issue. google does have some images of customized mx518/g400s and they look sexy af. its the best of both worlds.

The one I posted is a great gaming trackball. 1500dpi but only a 125hz poll rate. It feels very responsive though. The ball is big, pointer+middle finger based, and has 8 customizable button.

are the logitech macro mouses any good to bind different things on windows and shit besides gaming?

the reddit mouse

fuck macros, just use autohotkey

ok that sounds cool. what kind of paints would you use?
what's the Jow Forums mouse then

i disassembled my mx518 back in the day and painted the middle shell white (it also covered the logo). so the mouse was white in the middle and black everywhere else. looked really nice so i would probably go with that. you can also just sand it, it will have that matte finish, dunno if it will be comfortable to hold though. or just paint everything black and make it extra shiny with some polish, that would be cool too.

No one has any balls in this thread, bunch if soi bugmen/gaymans

Attached: logitech_910_005177_mx_ergo_trackball_mouse_1370004.jpg (1000x1000, 65K)

G402 is better if you go from MX518/G400(S)

>unofficial drivers
Those exist? What do I search for?

>Thumb ball
Into the trash it goes

>Does that include build quality?
I don't think so. I remember when the scroll died on my original MX518 and I got a replacement one from Logitech which was clearly built to lower quality than the original one I owned was. So even within the original MX518 line there were quality deviations. The G400 and G400S build quality seemed even lower but I haven't had one of those break yet. I went back to a G400S recently after using a FK1 for years and it is way more comfy even for claw grip.

I got the new chink one, it's bretty gud.

ok my bad, i take that back. i did a little bit of googling and apparently someone created signed drivers with 1khz polling rate support. i wasnt aware of that since i got myself g400s eventually. back in my day when i tinkered with mx518 overclocking we had to use unofficial/unsigned drivers which was fucking with arma/dayz anticheat. but that was like 5 years ago, when dayz was still good.

>the g403 is objectively superior in every way only nostalgia fags say otherwise
I really like the more narrow wheel though

best mouse ever made, cursed with a wire that breaks after two months of use. Enjoy it while it lasts

i never had had problem with wire on any mouse. also, it isnt difficult to replace the wire. i solder my headphone wires all the time. theyre like 10 years old now and look super nasty and dirty after all those years but they still sound good.

Sensor quality is the correspondence of counts vs linear travel at different speeds, not DPI. Every knockoff chinkshit sensor pulls 2500DPI+; doesn't mean they track worth a damn.

Also having owned both, the 403 is marginally better in every way for me.

Any G403/G703 owners for 6months+ that haven't had the mouse wheel issue with it occasionally scrolling one step forward or back on its own?

i dont have either of those mice but i dealt with skipping mouse wheel by disassembling the mouse, taking the mouse wheel spring out and bendint it just a little bit so that the wheel would be more firm and harder to press. also make sure to clean the inside of the wheel since the gunk inside might interfere with the wheel sensor.

Logitech is overrated. Although i know many people that had mx518, the hype was mostly a money thing for logitech. I went through several in my gaming years, and they always developed grimy sludge between the buttons, and most always your sweat would wear down the plastic coating.
So for the user saying he used it for 12 years. Ur a liar
As far as pros and cons
Pros: wired
Good infrared sensor
Cons:
Wears out
Only 3 or 4 sensitivity settings
No software to change settings

If anyone can find a pic of the plastic wearing out pls post it.

Ita amazing to me how people still talk about like its godly just because so many people got them for cheap and used them at lan parties. They werent even that cheap probably $50

Attached: 11914760_f520.jpg (520x374, 62K)

Only part of mine that looks worn out is the part with the logitech logo The metal looking plastic part seems perfectly fine.

I like the shape but had a g500 and g400 die on me because the plastic hammer that hits the switch wore out + doubleclick issues.
I really expect a mouse to do more than 3 years
Long outside of warranty, they sent me a replacement 402, well lets see how long itl last

This man knows what he's talking about, I agree completely.

The MX518 is still the greatest mouse I've ever used....and I've owned and tested close to a hundred different mice.

>No software to change settings
Logitech SetPoint.

You're a stupid liar.

I had my logitech mx518 for 10 years, then the cable died, so I replaced it and it was good to go for another 10, but my father gave the fucken mouse away when I lent it to him.

MX518 has angle-snapping
G400 doesn't, but cable tends to disconnect.
G400s solves this problem too, so I'd get that.

Been using my G400 for about 7 years now.
There absolutely is software for it.
Not sure what you refer to by wearing out, but it's only been appearance-wise, not performance or function-wise.

Only con is the cable disconnecting, but opening it up, cleaning and resoldering fixed the issue.

the mx518 is the first mouse i have ever used and also the only one i have because it still works amazing

I've had mine since around 2007 and still working.

It's better than any new logitech shit, but that doesn't mean anything

mx518 is comfy but not very programmable compared to todays gaming mice.

You're talking about 2-key combination vs 20 actions with time delays.

Yeah had one for years it's comfy but the mmb always shits out used to be a thing with logitech till they swapped to mechanical switches
G502 I had did the same thing

Looks like it was left outside during a hail storm

The only people I've ever seen using trackballs were fat

you must be a fat disgusting pig living in his own filth and piss bottles. mine still works 12 years later, as would any non-scum person's.

However i did have one of their early xbox wireless headsets and it was alright but still hurt my ear. The classic one was the best

Jow Forums mouse is keyboard

And i want everyone to notice how many fucking people are saying how they used theirs for 10, 15 years and think to urself: Have i ever had a piece of hardware that lasted that long? Be honest you havent. Not even tvs or video game consoles. But for some odd reason logitech fanboys will attack u for saying that your 3 mx518s all wore out in less than 2 years. Is that neccesarily a bad thing? No. But logitech has their little bots and pajeets who defened the company on ANONYMOUS forums for god knows what reason.
Wasnt the mx518 also impossible to take apart without it breaking?? You are the same resdit fucks who get $5000 computers while managing to put off the payments of your college tuition because "Jow Forums said its ok to glorify my computer peripherals"
And i believe op said "are these still good"
Why does he say that?
Ask yourself. Why does some random fortnite pleb ask about ancient hardware? Could it be because it means a life of safety and feels where u never have to go out of your comfort zone and your overpriced corsair products make you feel a sense of belonging?
Sage and gay

Based Satan trips poster
Based luficer poster
Based 666 poster
Based trips WITNESSED
DESU DESU SENPAI I actually have an mx518 but i think it cost me like $20 like 10 years ago and i never made a big deal out of it
it seemed nice enough
OP is asking cuz e's trying to shill the new LEGENDARY HERO edition one. you called it.

That fucking hump on the back, I can't stand that mouse. Ended up selling it on Gumtree for half the price (no returns once opened here in Aus). I have a g502 and haven't found a replacement yet as it's 3 years old and pretty worn. Might just get another g502 since everything is so light these days for onionboys.

idk what the fuck youre talking about nigger but I had mine for a good 10 years with no problems until i hit it too hard against the table which fucked up the sensor kek

if ur having trouble with sludge then screw it open and wash the plastic part, not that big of a deal

>comfy
yes, i have a few other mice but still like my 518 refresh very much for everyday use. mine is sitting at 1800dpi/ 250hz/ 2.33 ingame sens for gaming.
>pic related, no cleaning edition
it's from '07 or '08, got thrown into my backpack almost daily when i went to uni and the only wear showing is the rubber-coating on the bottom right side of the mouse. it got some other mouse-feet somewhere alone the way.
>muh polling rate
you can change that with the sweetlow-driver, it works till 1000hz, that said even 500hz was to twitchy for me

Attached: IMG_20190126_1114302.jpg (4056x2704, 2.79M)

Maybe your hands just too small for G403.

Attached: littlecollection.jpg (1920x948, 468K)

Personally, I love it.
It's highly subjective though.

-t. MX500, then MX518 now G400 that has been self repaired twice.

I can actually understand that, I used to hate the hump but eventually migrated to a hybrid grip.
Logitech mice are for Claw and Hybrid only, They suck for palm grip.

19cm by 10cm. I hate small and light mice. Have my g502 decked out with all weights. Often get compliments about my aim / smoothness too.

I got about the same hand size but I'm feel G403 more comfy than G502. Actually G502 feel smaller in hand.

test

They're pretty much the same, other than the hump on the g402

>Wasnt the mx518 also impossible to take apart without it breaking??
Nope

Whats with all the fucking handlets in here?

I soldered my wire back together three times before I replace it.

Owned an 400s for 5+years with no worries, but now has noticed a very visible scratch line form the sensors light.
Is the sensor fucked now?
It a bit hard too see in the image but is clearly visible to me

Attached: 20190126_231759.jpg (2268x4032, 2.23M)

The only people I've seen use trackballs are intelligent.

I know people love it, but I never found it's shape comfortable.
I mostly claw-grip though.

I was in between mice when I went on a trip to Japan, and when visiting bic camera I stumbled upon this beauty called Mionix Naos 7000.
The moment I tried it I knew I couldn't live my life without that growth on the right of the mouse, just incredibly comfy.
Surprised you almost never hear about them.

Attached: item_XL_22596210_31068826.jpg (329x600, 17K)