As a first time Linux user, should I use Ubuntu or Mint?

As a first time Linux user, should I use Ubuntu or Mint?

Attached: 1548447791676.png (512x512, 144K)

Either will do just fine. I would recommend Ubuntu as it's almost an industry standard (;

Even if you're an old time user the sane answer is always an Ubuntu flavor. I currently rock lubuntu. Don't make life intentionally hard

Mint

the typical journey goes something like Ubuntu > Debian > Arch > Sourcemage

Mint. It's much more polished for desktop use. Ubuntu devs only care about server stuff.
Anything compatible with Ubuntu will be compatible with Mint since Mint is based on Ubuntu.

>sane answer is always an Ubuntu flavor
As someone who has used Ubuntu and it's flavours for 4 years, I completely disagree. Mint is a much better desktop experience, especially for new users. Unless you want KDE you shouldn't use Ubuntu.

Since you posted such a cute loli I'm sure you'll survive Arch or Gentoo if you try.

Try both in a VM and then decide for yourself.

I don't get you.
The only 'polished' part of Mint is that they ship proprietary drivers and firmware on the liveCD. They don't actually have the rights to.
Things aren't guaranteed to be compatible with Ubuntu, since Mint is a three-way hybrid of Debian, Ubuntu and Mint itself. The developers have managed to make a system whose official packages have namespace collisions and incompatibilities with each other.

Imagine if there was a distribution like Arch that broke more often, didn't have a good wiki, and lagged ten years behind software updates. And then there would be a distro like Manjaro which adds an installer and a default desktop, but breaks packages, doesn't get security patches and isn't actually fully comptatible with the original distro while being worse in every way. And then there was a distro based on these two above which combines the worst parts of each while adding on its own faults like regularly getting their website hacked, breaking software licenses, breaking its own packages, never seeing a security patch...
That's Linux Mint.
And people would recommend it to newcomers because WiFi works without instaling linux-firmware before rebooting and it has a desktop.

Mine (only counting daily drivers)
Debian > Fedora > Arch > FreeBSD

dont be a fag install lfs

I installed elementary but couldn't find drivers for my switchable ati radeon hd 545v / Intel gpu. I rm rf'ed that biatch and slapped windows 7 on my laptop.

Ubuntu, if only for the community support
Whatever Ubuntu doesnt include in the default install, you'll read how to get by yourself when browsing the forums, guides etc
Mint never had as much documentation, they just tend to fall back on what's written for ubuntu

Install gentoo.

In my experience, Ubuntu was more enjoyable to use, but caused problems that didn't occur with Mint, so give Ubuntu a day or so of use first to make sure it works well on your hardware.

Either, it doesn't matter. You'll end up using Debian anyway.

Mine was
Ubuntu > Mint > *buntu > Debian

If you really like the Windows desktop layout use Mint, otherwise go with Ubuntu.

Attached: 1518544801057.png (800x750, 63K)

I use xubuntu, werks on my machine
>inb4 muh xfces

Mint.

Attached: Chuck Norris.gif (350x196, 2.72M)

Probably Ubuntu, but GNOME is schist so i use Ubuntu Budgie now lole

I haven't really used Linux extensively but I threw Manjaro on this laptop a few days ago and it's been pretty easy to use so far.

Flip a coin. This is like sprite and sierra mist.
It's the best DE.

Go for xubuntu, kubuntu or lubuntu. Gnome, the DE that regular ubuntu uses is really frustrating to use.

mint

Attached: Capture.png (594x353, 42K)

arch is the best gateway linux for newbies

Where's this from? Is Mint some Jew controlled propaganda?

Mine was
Ubuntu>Arch>>Gentoo>OpenBSD
Never looked back

checked
Clem (the developer of Mint) went on a rant like 8 years ago about how he hates israel and that they are illegally occupying palestinian territory, and he removed it because of the backlash. He came out with this apology which basically still said to fuck off if you support israel.
Eventually he removed all political posts from his site, but he proved himself to be based during that entire situation.

Mint is StormfrontOS

no, he's not a nazi. He is just anti zionism.

how's wine and vulkan support on the bsds
I non ironically play the newest Windows games on gentoo

CentOS.
You may switch to fedora or something like that later if you want newer packages/kernel for some reason.

Me
ubuntu > debian > devuan > opensuse

I don't play games anymore but I'm 99% certain it's shit

You should install gentoo
Here's some (you)s for being such retards and replying to this shit thread

>haha mom look I replied to everyone in the thread

Thanks for the (you)

hurr durr everyone is wrong
> replies to everyone

Mint is great