"Those who can't do, teach"

"Those who can't do, teach"

Is this real, Jow Forums? I want to be a teacher but this quote is making me discouraged :(

Attached: crying.gif (400x400, 762K)

yes it's true
don't worry not everyone is good at their field

Please explain why it's true? I mean, you can't be a teacher at something without being good at it, right?
I'm a fairly good programmer, especially as a woman, and I can teach fairly well since most of my classmates ask for my help.

Depends on the area?

At least on academia, researchers are also professors so...

Not necessarily. Depends on the field though. It likely applies to your everyday school teacher.

>I mean, you can't be a teacher at something without being good at it, right?
90% of teachers are being shit

Attached: frog.png (1148x1022, 304K)

>I mean, you can't be a teacher at something without being good at it, right?
Dead wrong.
I can tell you how to succeed without being able to do it myself.
Smokers tell people all the time not to smoke.
You can be a fitness trainer with not limbs.
I can tell you how to write optimal code without doing it in my own projects.
I can read and repeat rhetoric to a group for a whole semester without even understanding it.

See this bar? Jump over it. When you've trained enough and can do it, I'll give you a pass.

That being said. Know your place and don't be discouraged. Stop comparing yourself to your peers and start comparing yourself to your past self.
Strive to be the best you can be, don't strive to be the best. It's just not realistic for everyone to be a star.

Fuck it, I'll still be a teacher. My biggest inspiration in life right now is one of my professors and I aspire to be like her someday.
She's not like your typical teacher and she's well respected by almost everyone around her.

Attached: 1547364760274.jpg (575x446, 74K)

You forgot the second part
>Those who can't do, also can't teach

no it's retarded

Just do freelance work on the side. Helps the income, makes sure you don't lose the connection to the real world of your field (which your students will profit from) and proves that you can do more than just teach the theory.
Back in trade school all the teachers who were worth a damn either worked as freelancers or ran their own company.

because most people who go into teaching field X are people who tried to get a real job in field X and sucked at it so they fall back to teaching field X
or they were never good enough to start with
the best case scenario is they were good and they retired but even those people tend to be stuck in the old ways of doing things

it is at my university at least. my professors couldn't teach worth jack shit but are still classified as "teachers". one professor who actually knew what he was saying was an adjunct and actually worked in the fucking industry. he left after 2 semesters because he refused to be forced to teach the bullshit the department was giving him. i was in his class one of those semesters and he ended literally every class by saying how retarded the powerpoint he had to talk about was and/or how irrelevant it was

Why do you care what other people think? Also, if you teach k-12, you'll get summer and a winter break off.

>mfw I do and teach

I'm also an adjunct at a small uni. It's a weekly battle to try and convince the professor to change what should be taught and how it's taught, including the tools and even student evaluation. I've already succeeded in making a few changes but it's only really going to change in a really significant way when these kind of professors who've been out of the industry for decades (if ever) finally retire.
Shit sucks, man.

>"Those who can't do, teach"
90% of teachers are shit

most people that study paedagogics/didactics are condescending pricks with pathological issues where you can literally tell they need to be in an environment where they can justifiably feel better than everybody else (ie, adults around kids)

obviously if you fall into that category you don't really care about teaching well, you only care about grooming your ego. Thus you end up sucking at both teaching, and at the field you teach.

I think most teachers that don't fall into that category are fine.

There are plenty of teachers who teach as a semi-retirement job after being in the industry their whole lives.
Of course, you're neither old nor experienced enough to do that.

>"Those that can't do, teach"
But also not everyone can teach. It's not a well treated profession

>Those that can't teach, do

Attached: 1548023152938.png (331x671, 220K)

Holy shit I've had the exact same professor. Were we classmates or is this common?

>especially as a woman
no reason to mention that

he just means he's bought programming socks.

Thank you based prof for actually caring. I went to a decently large and well-known tech school and from what I saw that's a big problem there as well, but instead of other professors being stubborn it's the whole department. I was a TA for one of the first year lab courses for 2 years and spent way too much effort fighting the labwork and course material because there was a LOT of shit that was needlessly confusing or just plain wrong. That's not a horrible issue, but since this was an intro lab, it kind of was because all the freshmen who just started school expected the material to be infalable and 100% correct. After 1 semester of that I started putting way more emphasis on teaching how to ask good questions/challenge things they were taught and not assume that the material/professor/TA is perfectly accurate all of the time. You learn the textbook theory in lecture, you see it in action in lab, and you really begin to understand it when you try to use what you learned in your own personal projects.
from what I've heard from friends and other people I've met this is fairly common in schools that have the coursework written by tenured professors who've been out of the industry for a while. even moreso if their main focus is on research instead of teaching. there's a huge difference between teaching a fuckton of theory for doing research and also teaching how to apply that theory and make it a marketable career skill

this quote is for two reasons. one because teaching is actually a different skill than what you are actually teaching as a subject, and shouldn't be taken lightly. You can be a decent teacher and teach many things you have no skill in doing, but you could be awesomely skilled and an incompetent teacher.

two is that people who are exceptionally skilled, I mean the 5% at the top, are usually wasting their time teaching and instead can and should develop all their energies at the edge of their field for the benefit of everyone.

>fairly good
>fairly well
Niggas iffy, uh, Blicky got the stiffy, uh
Got the blicky, uh, drum, it holds fifty, uh

Yeah

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 10K)

And what has Einstein ever contributed to our society?

The atomic bomb

Attached: download.jpg (274x184, 8K)

>woman
Transwomen aren't real women.
Furthermore, it's always like that, even in engineering fields, when a company won't hire you but a school will. My school hired people that couldn't even pronounce English words properly and most didn't even have prior teaching experience, some were literally fresh graduates. But if somehow, let's say you're a diamond in the rough and an actual good teacher then I'm sure whatever students you have in the future will appreciate you.

Attached: image_13.jpg (1000x690, 68K)

why world top scientist mostly addicted to cigarette???

>Is this real, Jow Forums? I want to be a teacher but this quote is making me discouraged :(
You're misinterpreting the quote. It means that people who can't do will naturally turn to teaching, but it doesn't mean that all people who teach can't do. You can both be good at something and teach others how to do it.
Anyway, why would you give a shit about what some faggot said decades ago? Decide for yourself if it's true or not, don't rely on the word of other people.

I'm now reminded of Rachinsky, the Russian mathematician who gave up the high life in Western Europe and returned to his home village to teach peasant children math.

don't be discouraged OP. if you like it enough to obtain mastery, just do go for it. i guess it's just common that teachers aren't working on large projects. but how do you think they became teachers?

NO ONE CARES. JUST MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

Make a bootcamp or something that contributes to the facilitation of the private economy. IE, no uni, no public school.

That's if you want respect from dummies that are like that. IMO, they're not worth your time.

MAKE.
YOUR.
DREAMS.
COME.
TRUE.

>t. frmr primary school teacher here
>to a person the ONLY people who say shit like that are dumb cunt tradie bogans who've been lucky to finish yr 12, let alone maybe go to tafe (tech school) or an apprenticeship.
>they're usually dumb as a box of shitcunts and fairly bitter because the most they've go to look forward in life to is becoming leading hand in their section of the factory and Shazza getting more Family Tax Benefit once she pops out another Cheyenne/Dakoda/Jaxxon....

Ignore it and get off your arse and study m8. If you're really worried do a BSc than do a Dip Ed as part of you final year - easy as piss!

Attached: 3e770f84-bc06-11e8-94b2-17176fbf93f5 (1).jpg (2048x1152, 554K)

Based

A lot of people who "can do" can't teach.