So what's Jow Forums thoughts on the Librem5 ?

So what's Jow Forums thoughts on the Librem5 ?
Lemme guess, botnet, pajeet team, not enough foos to RMS's taste?

The shadowy points for me is the SoC if any. And well it's still a smartphone so there' that too.

Attached: shell-l5-1.png (261x460, 94K)

That bad huh.
From what I get it's the only foos smartphone.
For the CPU it might be I.mx6 or 8, no snapdragon SoC.

Wow I should've put some fruity product instead of this pic, sure had a lot more of traction.

Am I doing this right?

Attached: [email protected] (980x620, 58K)

It's extremely overpriced, outdated, underspecced (3gb for gnome 3...) And made by trannies.

Yeah well what are the other options? Or I'm missing the elephant in the room?

what the fuck is foos

A typo, I meant Foss.

>linux DE on a phone
jesus christ

Attached: 1536080536940.jpg (225x225, 6K)

I'll wait to see if it's actually usable. It's pretty interesting to me with how locked down Android devices are becoming and how iOS literally has no freedom whatsoever.

This, I don't even bother trying to customize Android/install a custom ROM or whatever because ultimately I'll make something that's slightly less infuriating and useless.

It's absolutely not going to be usable because they're shoving a desktop linux desktop environment into a phone form factor, complete with desktop applications. Why doesn't somebody just make a phone with Replicant? Android doesn't HAVE to be locked down at all. The core project is completely open source and there's nothing preventing you from releasing the source of your bootloader.

it's a pointless kickstarter scam for hipsters too stupid to realize that an always-connected device hanging off of a cellular network managed by government/megacorporate entities that can triangulate your position at any time is and will always be a tracking device even if the worthless kill switches give you the illusion of dictating when you are tracked and data mined (hint: only when you're not even using it, because it's a web app toy with no power user features that's only useful when the data connection is on)

What if I want it because it's GNU/Linux?
>web app toy
It can run literally anything that is or can be compiled for ARM.

do you think other devices are somehow not turing-complete or something? and who even cares when you're still limited to a shitty capacative touch screen, docking gimmicks or bluetooth peripherals that further eliminate the point of this device even more? you're much better off with an ultra compact laptop or an old PDA if you just want a device to tinker with, the latter category especially has much better peripherals and on-device software options for power users and developers compared to this shit which will probably properly run nothing more than what purism tailors to it on release.

thanks for demonstrating the kind of retard that would spend $600 pre-ordering this piece of pretentious crap.

How good battery life would be? If it would be good, then its welcomed, if its not - into the trash it goes.

Freedom isn’t free, dickwad

what freedom? this shit still has proprietary hardware in it and is still basically a data collection/tracking device that has no purpose for anyone who genuinely cares about either freedom or privacy.

Thanks for demonstrating the kind of retardation it takes to legitimately be against a Linux phone. Do you think the first Android or even iPhone was perfect?

If they have a market, the situation will improve. I'm unlikely to buy the phone, being neet and broke, but some need smartphones for their shitty jobs or whatever and this is the best they've got. The masses will keep buying whatever shit they're fed, but getting libre stuff a foothold in the market would be great. I think it's a neat devoce and it would be a great thing to have even if it's not fully libre. The standards and laws are unlikely to change considering how shit most people are, but that doesn't mean we have to stop trying.

honestly, I think all modern smartphone platforms are garbage, and this is just more of the same with a nerd-cool label on it that they hope will make people overlook what a mediocre cash grab it really is.
what job is this piece of shit a necessity for? and what foothold for libre hardware does this not even libre device secure at all? it does nothing you can't already do with existing solutions other than pretend to be free and charge a premium for it.

Did you know iOS is UNIX(TM)? Why are you against a UNIX(TM) phone? Are you retarded?
Android is based on the Linux kernel, why are you against Linux phones?

Librem 5 is going to be so bad that it will kill all further hopes for a true open source phone

Phones are shit
/thread

You completely misunderstood my post. I said make a market for libre, I realise it doesn't exist. I want it to exist, though. I even conceded that it's not fully libre. Like the fellow a few posts above said: Freedom ain't free. The market will take years to shift. It is unlikely to shift, considering people are content with this crap we're sold today. The phone itself isn't great, but at least they try. The hardware switches are a good start.
>UNIX(TM)
They paid for that.
>Android is based on the Linux kernel
Yeah, and that's about it for Linux when it comes to Android. We want devices that respect our privacy and give us freedom to use them however we want.

I stated GNU/Linux very clearly in my first post (not the next one) and being Unix means absolutely nothing when you lack basically everything that makes Unix good. Basically this:
>We want devices that respect our privacy and give us freedom to use them however we want.

>The phone itself isn't great, but at least they try.
is that really how low people's standards are nowadays that a marketing campaign that outright lies to you is still okay because "at least they try?" is this really what you believe should be rewarded and supported? you could have said the same for android years ago before it became an advertisement delivery system.
>We want devices that respect our privacy and give us freedom to use them however we want.
so why then are you buying a literal tracking device that can and will be used to violate your privacy while also not giving you any more freedom than you're already getting out of cheaper and more functional solutions? once again, why are you rewarding these people for trying to scam you with a trendy and pretentious marketing campaign?
and what does this phone have that makes GNU/Linux good? it can't competently run any good desktop applications without docking/peripheral options that completely eliminate the point of having it, and for everything else it does nothing you can't already do on less locked down android devices. you're paying $600 for a brand and some shitty ported applications you can probably already get on android.

but the fact of the matter is use a real computer instead of a telescreen in the first place when you want to tinker, stop supporting and vindicating these shitty companies that just reskin the iPhone over and over again with different brands and marketing to appeal to different faceless demographics

You're still missing the point. This won't be the last Linux phone and it isn't trying to perfectly replace Android, this is a first step in freedom-respecting phones. If it starts gaining even a little traction, people will start developing mobile frontends to already-existing Linux applications enabling, for example, a full LibreOffice suite on your phone.

As I stated before, I am not buying it. If it dropped into my lap, cool. I am currently without a phone in protest and considering suicide because functioning in today's 1st world means being a too much of a good goy. I applaud the fellows for their effort, even though it is probably wasted. They will likely prove that there is no market for a libre smartphone and shit will continue to get worse. Or the opposite will happen and maybe we'll get a big company to focus on at least a line of phones that are free as in freedom.

>This won't be the last Linux phone
exactly, so why the fuck are you so obsessed with defending it? let them suffer for their mistakes so others can learn from them.
> this is a first step in freedom-respecting phones.
it's still a nonfree phone, so what kind of step actually is this? a step towards telling vendors like Purism that you can still push a niche product at a ridiculous price as long as you pay lip service to a philosophy by "respecting" it? fuck off with your shill bullshit, especially after calling other people sheep.
>If it starts gaining even a little traction, people will start developing mobile frontends to already-existing Linux applications enabling, for example, a full LibreOffice suite on your phone.
so if people buy this mediocre piece of shit... it will get shitty touch screen-gimped ports of existing software you can already get somewhere else or find counterparts to on literally any smartphone platform that has existed in the last two decades? what even is the point you're pushing, and why do you think this pushes it?
you're never going to get a privacy-respecting smartphone my dude, it's an oxymoron if there ever was one.
stick to burners and look for mobile technology that can actually be useful while not being a radio tracking device if you truly believe in privacy and freedom.

I never called other people sheep, and it's clear that you won't stop pushing this false dichotomy about privacy, so let me just stop right here. A Linux phone is will be a massive improvement over the """privacy""" and """freedom""" all current phones offer, and I'm willing to give up small amounts of functionality to get those things. Stop with your blackpilled bullshit.

>I never called other people sheep
then maybe you're the other person, I've stopped keeping track really, it all runs together since it's all the same shitty talking points in every one of these marketing threads
>A Linux phone is will be a massive improvement over the """privacy""" and """freedom""" all current phones offer
but the entire point I'm making is that you aren't getting anything new out of this thing, it's the same gimped social media toy shit everyone else is pushing wrapped in a "freedom respecting" marketing campaign and a pretentious hip looking brand. it doesn't offer any more privacy or control than any other unlocked device running a fully open source android image or an alternative operating system like Lune that even in the current state it's probably in is still undoubtedly better than what you'd get from the half-baked shit this thing is going to ship with even if it does ship at all to begin with. the free hardware is also just meaningless when the components that actually make this device a smartphone are still proprietary and require you to taint your "libre" device with proprietary blobs.

literally the only "improvement" this shit offers is the stupid kill switches that are going to be on 99.9% of the time you're actually using this thing anyway because it's still just a pocket web terminal for people who can't get the fuck off the internet and live in reality, you're not getting any actual privacy, you're just making it slightly slower for data miners to build a profile on you. if you actually gave a shit about privacy you would go out and get some fresh air instead of bringing the botnet with you.

>Stop with your blackpilled bullshit.
stop regurgitating memes like they support an argument, we're adults, not attention seeking retards trying to get into a reddit screencap

They aren't actually using Mutter (Gnome's WM/Compositor) on it.
They're using a custom wlroots-based Wayland compositor, but are using some Gnome shit for the apps.

>we're adults
>implying either of you faggots aren't 15 year old girls

Attached: grinch.jpg (1200x800, 63K)

this is a good point, I'm going to go play with my vagina now

post vagene

Man, I was really digging this phone for a long time. Until...
>720p
>on a post 5 inch screen
>IN TWO THOUSAND, PLUS 19
It hurts to switch from laughing at the low DPI of the iShit 6 in 2014 to something with goals so based in 2019. But... I have to. Mobile 720p has been vanquished in 5 years for sure. The Librem's fidelity would simply be too gross.
t. someone who cares a good deal about foss and the FSF but not to the point of quality hardware sacrifice

Small resolution, only 720p display when samsung s5 had smaller display with 1080p

Thank fucking god. I don't want to waste my phone's battery on stupidly high PPIs with massive diminishing returns.

Then you don't read on the phone. Higher the dpi, easier on the eyes.

Did they finally announce the full specs and show a prototype? Because last time I checked they planned to release in like may I think and had nothing to show, didn't even know what specs the phone will have.
This made me think that it was a scam, just like all the other kickstarters with big promises and nothing to show.

Why would you want this
just install AOSP / LineageOS on any random phone and don't use gapps

They released dev kits. It's garbage.

Modern phones allow you to reduce resolution and guess what, when you're not gaming it does jack shit to improve battery life.